* Need Help! Domain Expired and now someone else has it!

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone can help me identify what has really happened in this situation.

I had a domain name registered on GoDaddy , the domain is sebastianignazio . com
    I accidentally allowed this domain to expire, which was not SO bad considering that it is not a popular domain name and it was very unlikely to be registered by anyone else, so I just decided to wait until it was released to the public pool of available domains.

The last e-mail I received from GoDaddy clearly stated that my domain would be kept on hold for a redemption period of 30 days, in which it would go through an auction process and if noone bought it during that time, it would be released and completely deleted after 30 days. This was on Nov 5th.

Yesterday, on Dec 5th, I received an e-mail from them saying that "Per my request, the domain name had been completely deleted" so I went and performed a WHOIS on my domain to see if it had been deleted and I saw that it has been registered by someone else right on Dec 5th.

This is the new whois info:

Registrant:
    LeaseDomains.com Domains, Inc.
    9654 W 131st St
    Suite 411
    Palos Park, IL 60464
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: SEBASTIANIGNAZIO .COM
    Created on: 24-Oct-05
    Expires on: 24-Oct-07
    Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
    Domains, Inc., LeaseDomains.com [email protected]
    9654 W 131st St
    Suite 411
    Palos Park, IL 60464
    United States

Technical Contact:
    Domains, Inc., LeaseDomains.com [email protected]
    9654 W 131st St
    Suite 411
    Palos Park, IL 60464
    United States

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.PARKINGDNS.NET
    NS2.PARKINGDNS.NET

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
    Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited
    Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited

So at first sight, I thought that this was part of the deletion process so I went to see WHO LeaseDomains.com is. They are a web registrar/web host company which seems to be affilliated in some way to GoDaddy. I can tell by their web design, interface and the e-mail system that they use for support.

I asked why was their company interested in registering my domain and they replied saying that their company wasn't actually who registered that domain and that this person was probably using their company name to do it, and they said that I had to contact the e-mail address on the whois record directly to ask or dispute this domain.

I am very confused right now , I don't know what to think. Are they telling the truth? How is it possible that a person or entity is using LeaseDomains.com domain to register domains?
    All I want is to gain ownership of this domain and I was patiently waiting for the 30 days to pass so that I could re-register, just to to find that someone else had done it before me, right on the day it was supposed to be deleted.
    At first look, it seems like GoDaddy passed this domain to their sister company LeaseDomains.com but their support staff have clearly stated that they are not the new owners of my domain. GoDaddy themselves said that they do not take part in disputes and that I should contact LeaseDomains.com about this.

Can someone identify what has really happened here? Is this part of the deletion process and maybe in a few days it will be deleted for real or .... ?

Any insight or information will be appreciated!!!

Did you request that GoDaddy delete the name? If not then you have a case against them.

Bad news is that they probably have a real nice escape clause in their TOS.
    ► Does your website need the NURV touch?
    ► Professional logo animation services.

If you let the domain expire and let the redemption period expire then you don't have any case.

If this is a sister company of GoDaddy it may be a case of 'domain tasting'. Registrars can buy a domain and return it within 5 days at no cost. This happens frequently with expired domains as the new owner tests to see if the site gets any traffic and can generate any ad revenues. If it does not meet a certain threshold it it returned to the pool.

Hopefully this is what happened in your case. Keep checking the WHOIS over the next weeks.

LeaseDomains.com appears to be a GoDaddy reseller. You are pretty much out of luck if you let your domain expire, you cannot get it back unless you buy it from the new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by earthdance
    I accidentally allowed this domain to expire, which was not SO bad considering that it is not a popular domain name and it was very unlikely to be registered by anyone else, so I just decided to wait until it was released to the public pool of available domains.
    That is what happens when people make wrong assumptions based on inaccurate
    or incomplete information.

Unless you can demonstrate trademark rights to the term based on any law that's
    applicable (if any) and show the registrant in question is infringing it, you have no
    rights. Either buy it from them or move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hybrix
    Did you request that GoDaddy delete the name? If not then you have a case against them.
    If you do read the legal fine prints, kindly show me where Go Daddy indicates what
    you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    If you let the domain expire and let the redemption period expire then you don't have any case.

If this is a sister company of GoDaddy it may be a case of 'domain tasting'. Registrars can buy a domain and return it within 5 days at no cost. This happens frequently with expired domains as the new owner tests to see if the site gets any traffic and can generate any ad revenues. If it does not meet a certain threshold it it returned to the pool.

Hopefully this is what happened in your case. Keep checking the WHOIS over the next weeks.
    *fingers crossed* I suspect this is what happened. My domain is being tasted.
    Right now, its nameservers is ns1.parkingdns.net and ns2.parkingdns.net .
    Now, the website shows "that its being reviewed and should be online within 24 hrs" .

Does anyone know how many daily visits a site should get for it to be considered profitable by these domain tasting entities?

Does anyone know how many daily visits a site should get for it to be considered profitable by these domain tasting entities?
    Domain tasting applies to newly registered domain names. Yours isn't new.

Nowadays many registrars try to "auction" expired domain names to interested
    parties, or they pull the plug if no one's interested after some time. Unfortunately
    this is one such case.

My previous answer still stands. No trademark rights, no rights towards the name
    no matter how one feels about it.

Actually, we do own the trademark rights for "sebastian ignazio" in our country, Chile. I just don't know how this would be valid for the global Internet.

First mistake. Hopefully, others will learn from this.

I had a domain name registered on GoDaddy , the domain is ********. com
    Second mistake. If you are still interested in getting this very domain back, edit the name out NOW.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Outage 12/6/2006

I can't edit the original post, can I request a mod to do it for me?

Remove the domain name.

Thanks.

can't edit

I can't edit the original post, can I request a mod to do it for me?

Remove the domain name.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno

This may of happened to me with Godaddy to.

I had a domain with them and I let it expire and I talked with them on the phone and I was told that once it made it through the redemtion period that it would be available again. So I marked my calandar so I get again but in the meant time the period that Godaddy gave me the first time was 45 days not 30 so when I checked the whois on the 35th day I think it was it was gone.

I called them up and they said well it was actually 30 days and there was nothing I could do about it. They also told me that it was regiestered for ine year.

Then just because I do not trust Godaddy I checked on the 45th day with my enom account and it was available and I bought it.

I had tried this many times before the previous days and all of suddent it was there ready for purchase.

I was buying the .net when I found this.

So keep checking you never know.

nameslaves , do you or anyone else here have any ideas what these people expect a domain to get as traffic to consider it worth KEEPING?
    Are we talking about hundreds or thousands visits a day or maybe just a few?
    Any annual revenue that exceeds reg fee would be worth keeping. I assume much of this 'tasting' is automated with thousands of domains.
    The tasters may no intention of keeping any domains. If they can keep a domain for 5 days at no cost and get pennies then they are still ahead. They just keep churning
    domains (buying & getting refunded) and can control thousands of revenue generating pages at any one time at no cost.

not fair..

This "domain tasting" thing sounds so unfair and out of rule..
    Isn't ICANN thinking of doing anything about this or are they just looking for their own interest from the 25 cents they get for each registration?

Are we talking about an Internet full of advertising domain names, why can't these people at ICANN focus on a more clean and information oriented internet ?

It might just be a "taster". try again after 5 days.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave
    They do taste expired domains. I have some first hand experience while tracking expired domains for both myself and my clients. Some went through at least 2 tasters (in 10 days).
    Oh that. Yes, it is essentially also tasting since they can still cancel and get a refund
    within their 45-day period.

Are we talking about an Internet full of advertising domain names, why can't these people at ICANN focus on a more clean and information oriented internet ?
    ICANN's mandate applies to the root servers and the Domain Name System (DNS),
    not the Internet. But they're discussing it (yet again) at the next meeting in Brazil
    anyway. You try to impose "standards" to a more "clean and information oriented
    internet", you're going to get different and even conflicing interests to deal with.

And we can't change the reality that the Internet has now been commercialized to
    a large and considerable degree.

Seriously, this is a lesson to appreciate and take care of your domain names even
    more. The moment you don't renew timely, you lose all rights to them.

I think there something more to it.
    Like someone mentioned registrars can book a domain and give it back in 5-10 days.
    They infact keep doing continously. Yes they book it and then give it back. SO that we never get it. I am sure godaddy.com is doing this too.
    The trick is to never visit the domain again. But if it is in google or a site that was recieving hits then you might never get it back.
    The best thing to do is to get a backorder.
    I think godaddy.com does this so that they get you shell out 18.95$(backorder price) instead of the regular 7.95$.
    I am sure godaddy does this as they want to get their customers to book domain names for a longer periods i.e. 10 years or keep it on auto renewal.
    I am sure if you backordered it with godaddy.com you will get it back.
    Or as a matter of fact back order it with another registrar. So when it is given back you can pick it up.
    Something has to be done about this and i dont know what.
    Godaddy is turning out to be thief. Bob parson has started to look like a crook to me whenever i read his newsletter.
    They offer no support. My credit card company charged me 225$ and reverted it back the next month. They told me godaddy.com charged and then reverted it. The only catch was i had to pay the service charges ammountting to 25$ Approximate.(because once the credit goes above a certain limit they charge service tax for entire pending amount). They have blocked my card. Godaddy.com denied charging my card. I mailed billing and told them to furnish me some details that I am supposed to ask my credit card company. I even told them I am going to tranfer my domains to local registrar. But they just do not bother.
    Recently I wanted to change the IPs of my namservers in the domain host summarry. They did not allow it and when i mailed support they told me that the "nameserver association" does not permit to change the ip of any nameserver as long as there are domains pointing to it. I have to create a new topic for this and see if anyone can confirm this. It makes no sense. SO if i am chaning my host then this so called "nameserver association" expects me to point my domains to thin air / then change the ips and then point it back. I will suffer downtime of atleast 24 hours if i do this.
    Godaddy.com get fishier and fishier day by day.

Will someone tell me again why the thread starter allowed his domain name to expire?

I can't believe there are still people who don't understand that once a domain is expired.. it can be registered by anyone.

If your domain is valuable to you, then renew it.

Simple as that.

With regard to the actual "problem".. you are out of luck. The fact is that you gave up your "ownership" of the domain, voluntarily. Someone else registered it. You no longer own it. It is no longer your domain. You have no rights to it, unless you can win a domain dispute.

Good luck!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    I can't believe there are still people who don't understand that once a domain is expired.. it can be registered by anyone.

If your domain is valuable to you, then renew it.

Simple as that.

With regard to the actual "problem".. you are out of luck. The fact is that you gave up your "ownership" of the domain, voluntarily. Someone else registered it. You no longer own it. It is no longer your domain. You have no rights to it, unless you can win a domain dispute.
    That sort of thing happens for two simple reasons:

1. Some people develop unrealistic expectations based on inaccurate or incomplete
    information.

2. Some people don't appreciate how important it is to protect their domain names
    until they lose them.

And those who insist they "rightfully" own domain names even after they expire do
    not get my sympathy.

And those who insist they "rightfully" own domain names even after they expire do
    not get my sympathy
    Not even when they're regged at RegisterFly

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Not even when they're regged at RegisterFly
    I sympathize with those who are having trouble renewing with Registerfly or any
    other registrar. But when some people say, "This bastard got my domain name I
    didn't renew. They have no rights to it! I want it back!", they're the ones who fill
    my ears with wax.

If they're honest enough to admit they didn't renew the domain name timely for
    whatever reason and are "nicely" asking for any options, then I might consider.

I hope that clarifies things, Stu.

The RegisterFly debacle is still the exception to the rule. You can legitimately attempt to renew a domain and it can go all the way thru to redemption and drop.