How hard is it to switch from reseller to a dedicated server?

I was hoping you guys could inform me how hard it is to have a smooth transfer from a reseller account to a dedicated server.
    Also, how much more difficult is it if the reseller offers your clients (for you) a sitebuilder? (suggesting that I decide to pick up lic. for that same site builder)

I ask this because I see things are starting to pick up and I feel I may be very dependent on my reseller provider.

Thank you in advanced.

Since you're on a reseller account it wouldn't be impossible. You'd have to individually backup and restore each site onto the new server. I'm assuming that you don't have root access to the server where you and your client accounts are? You're talking about alot of time. It would be well worth the investment in the long run.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

I am glad you mentioned that. I was not aware it was so time consuming. Sounds like something I should implement before numbers become to large for this kind of transfer.
    Please keep your thoughts coming..

Also if you're not to sure that you can pull it off on your own, your customers will thank you for it. Use a company like http://www.websitemovers.com they will take care of everything that needs to be done to transfer the clients and your site over without incident.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by Plutomic-Andrew
    Use a company like http://www.websitemovers.com they will take care of everything that needs to be done to transfer the clients and your site over without incident.
    Thanks for this link, great tip.

SiYou'd have to individually backup and restore each site onto the new server. I'm assuming that you don't have root access to the server where you and your client accounts are? You're talking about alot of time. It would be well worth the investment in the long run.
    I think if your reseller account and your new dedicated both use Cpanel/WHM then you can actually copy/move the accounts yourself. All you require is the domain,username and password for each account you want to move over.
    Roi

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    I think if your reseller account and your new dedicated both use Cpanel/WHM then you can actually copy/move the accounts yourself. All you require is the domain,username and password for each account you want to move over.
    Common way of doing it but it can be unreliable at times...
    Best way to ensure integrity is to backup into cp backup files, move them and then restore...

It isn't really hard to do.. You can always hire a company to do it for you. Even the indian companies such at thinksupport.net etc. will be able to handle it for you pretty well..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Also if you're not to sure that you can pull it off on your own, your customers will thank you for it. Use a company like http://www.websitemovers.com they will take care of everything that needs to be done to transfer the clients and your site over without incident.
    Thank you for the link.
    The restore idea makes since as well ;-)

Hostgator affiliate link - cookie problem?

Hi,

I have signed up as an affiliate for hostgator from CJ. As stated in the signup page, the cookie is set for 60 days. When I checked for the cookie in my firefox, i found there was no cookie set by hostgator. And there was no cookie set by third parties which expires in the next 60 days.

The Hostgator sales team says, It could be a problem with CJ. And advised me to talk to CJ. I would like to know any hostgator affilaite from CJ having similar problems?
    Last edited by john551; 12-06-2006 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Problem with the post. Its displaying someone's else post
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi!
    I would advise caution in any event. I would not take one person's recommendation as the end...if you were considering using websitemovers..for example..do a google search on them. Search on here too..it's always best with more opinions and information. I think any move is impossible to be pulled off seemlessly. Ask your customers first...perhaps a few of them don't want to be moved.

Communication is the key here...it's always important to make sure your customers know exactly what is going on..and why. I would wager some would even be willing to register a new domain similar to the one they have...setup the new domain on the new server...and move things over slowly.

Honestly...I've never seen a serious move pulled off without problems. Increment moves are the best...slow is good.

Consider you'll have to do more with a dedicated server...I don't care how managed they say it is. Have you considered this? Do you have the skills?
    Willing to pay someone who does? Tons of things like this need to be considered.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Just be carefull if you're going with companies like websitemovers, not saying websitemovers is unreliable or anything. You just have to keep in mind that you're putting your clients and company at risk.

I agree with bryonhost1, slow is good. Just do it yourself. Sit back, flick the tele on and work on it for a day or so! Such a relaxing way to work (unless it's not earning you much or anything thats a different story)
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

Another important thing to remember is to be prepared. Don't try to do this when you've cancelled your reseller account and have a week left before it's shut down. Make sure you have the money to keep both running for quite a while.

Take the time to configure a dedicated server properly. Try setting up a new account on it and making sure everything works. Then, when a new account works ok, try transferring an account to your new server and actually verify that things work correctly.

If possible, add new customers on your dedicated server and give others the option (maybe even an incentive) to move from your old server.