New AMD Chips consume half the power of Intel's Core 2 Duo

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2068252,00.asp

Just saw this article. This is really good news for servers -- I'm glad that power efficiency is now a focus for chipmakers.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Thats impressive. Lately I've been considering switching over to 100% renewable resources for power. This is a bit more expensive to run servers on, but this may offset the balance.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

What kind of options do you have for making a DC run on renewables?

Quote Originally Posted by mgrossi
    What kind of options do you have for making a DC run on renewables?
    Run the DC off a Diesel generator 24/7 on biodiesel (get a second generator for backup ), Solar power (would need one massive array).

Dan
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

I suppose that works if you have a DC with a McDonalds next door
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Nice to see people considering renewable power resources. Hope your can arrange a dependable supply for biodiesel

The only catch is, it seems the article only compares power usage at idle... To the best of my knowledge, none of our servers that are turned on are completely idle.

From what we saw, the power consumption of a 65w X2, we have the older 90nm model, is roughly the same as a Core 2 Duo, under load, though it does have a slight edge. The 65nm process should definitely help, though I'm not expecting it to be 50% less... I am definitely glad that power consumption/heat generation is finally an issue they're caring about.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

There was a post on slashdot talking about DC power use - apparently the supply of electricity is getting worse.

The most interesting comment I read was to design DCs so that the outside air could be used to cool them, especially with hot/cold aisles, so much less power would be used for aircon.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

I just had a customer put in about 10 dual opteron servers, I was very amazed at how little heat came out of them, its making me think more about putting in more opterons.
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

ya now if can get Hard drive makers to do the same

Power efficiency is only a focus because they're struggling to make the chips faster.

I'd still buy Core 2 Duo.

Power efficiency is only a focus because they're struggling to make the chips faster.
    What a clueful statement that was. Are you aware of the power problems?

Actually power is a focus because businesses are stuck with 1/4 filled racks due to power restrictions. Naturally heat came up to reduce operating expenses.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    You do realise that hard drives aren't made like CPUs and generate heat in a different way? You tell me of a way to cool down objects inside a vacuum whilst opreating 100%.

Hard drives are cooled passively via fans. A lot to do with reducing heat is increasing air flow in cases. This is something a lot of people neglect, but this also improves CPU temperatures etc.

It's not necessarily the technology that's in the product itself that has an impact.

Anyway, conventional hard drives will indefinately die out as solid state hardware becomes more substantial. There are already hybrid hard drives which reduce power significantly, that being, they work with platters and solid state together.

Samsung have already released 40gb+ solid state hard drives, but with manufacturing costs and life expectancy, they're only used in laptops at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    Actually power is a focus because businesses are stuck with 1/4 filled racks due to power restrictions. Naturally heat came up to reduce operating expenses.
    Power consumption came into play because Intel could no longer market the "MHZ war". Meaning, they greatly emphasized that the more mhz meant the better. As CPUs processing power grows, so does the power consumption of course. So now instead of more MHZ it's nore "more cores less power". This is only possible because they current manufacturing technology is getting smaller.

Now that it's becoming harder for engineers to increase clock cycle due to physical limitation, they are now marketing power consumption. Also, with the emergence of global warming it is very important to tackle the power consumption issue. It's a bigger scale than the average joe with a rack in a DC.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

A 15k RPM SCSI drive has typical power usage around 15w. That isn't much power at all, considering it is the only device, other than the fans, that actually has physical movement. I've had no issue at all with drive power consumption or speed and I really can't think of any way to reduce powr or heat, as the drive still needs to spin-up and and the heads need to move. Maybe just go with Secure Digital or the like if you're concerned.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    A 15k RPM SCSI drive has typical power usage around 15w. That isn't much power at all, considering it is the only device, other than the fans, that actually has physical movement. I've had no issue at all with drive power consumption or speed and I really can't think of any way to reduce powr or heat, as the drive still needs to spin-up and and the heads need to move. Maybe just go with Secure Digital or the like if you're concerned.
    15w, i heard a bit more.

but our goal is to build fast servers using min. power. < 1amp max on full load >
    that way we can fit more servers into a single cab vs having a lot of air space, buying more cab will increase over head cost.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer

sorry, but 15watts is alot

12v/15w = 0.9021amp

almost a full amp for a single drive

sorry, but 15watts is alot

12v/15w = 0.9021amp

almost a full amp for a single drive

now scale that up to 110v

65w CPU: .59A
    15w Drive: .13A
    30w Ram: .26A
    10w Motherboard: .09A
    10W in fans: .09
    =================
    ~1.17A

these numbers aren't exact but to hope for a big box under 1A at full load is pretty unrealistic, unless you go to high voltage.

We run dual opteron 248s, 2 x 73gb, 16gb ram, and at 208v they pull just over 1A

Yep, that's about right. Our dual Opteron 275, 4GB RAM, 4x73GB 10K SCSI servers pull just about 1.8-9A at load @120v.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I have 8 dual opteron 275 & 285's one has 8 Seagate 320 SATA drives the rest have about three or four and they average 1.7 amps according to the reboot switch (13.3 amp. total) Including two large case fans in all eight cases.

I blame it on the efficient Antec PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    now scale that up to 110v

65w CPU: .59A
    15w Drive: .13A
    30w Ram: .26A
    10w Motherboard: .09A
    10W in fans: .09
    =================
    ~1.17A

these numbers aren't exact but to hope for a big box under 1A at full load is pretty unrealistic, unless you go to high voltage.

We run dual opteron 248s, 2 x 73gb, 16gb ram, and at 208v they pull just over 1A
    It's probably best to just stick with expressing things like these using Watts, as the voltage all around the world is different. Here in NL (and most of Europe), the voltage is 230V, so the amount of amps for any given server will be less than half what you'd need in USA, still the amount of Watts is identical ofcourse.