hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : ResellerZoom upgrade requiring cancellation/re-purchase. Common?

Forum Jump

ResellerZoom upgrade requiring cancellation/re-purchase. Common?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 AM

Question

ResellerZoom upgrade requiring cancellation/re-purchase. Common?

I'm a customer of one of ResellerZoom's Advanced plans (which have now been replaced by their Failover plans). To date, I've been very happy with them.

I inquired about a possible plan upgrade, from Advanced-1 (no longer offered) to Failover-2. Much to my chagrin, though, I was informed that in order to upgrade, I must purchase the new plan, move my data, update DNS, and cancel the first plan all on my own.

I must admit, seeing as I'm looking to spend *more* money with them, I would have expected a more seamless / automated / managed upgrade process.

Is this common?
~tainc

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Web Hosting Guru

I don't see what would be so difficult for them to manage the transfer for you. Usually webhosts should be happy enough that you are upgrading. Personally I wouldn't be happy about this situation and would consider looking somewhere else if I see I'm gonna get too big and too fast for the current plan.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainc
I inquired about a possible plan upgrade, from Advanced-1 (no longer offered) to Failover-2. Much to my chagrin, though, I was informed that in order to upgrade, I must purchase the new plan, move my data, update DNS, and cancel the first plan all on my own.
Is the plan just a quota upgrade or does it require them to move you between systems? For example, if they are moving you from one control panel to a totally different one then there may not be an smooth migration process available to them. If it's under the same system and just a quota upgrade or server move, I'd have thought they would have something in place to do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalis
I don't see what would be so difficult for them to manage the transfer for you. Usually webhosts should be happy enough that you are upgrading.
If the process involves a lot of work for them, it might end up costing the company more to move the user than the increase in the profit from the user's payment. It doesn't make much sense for a company to go through a process that costs them for example $30 of labour time when they might only be getting a few dollars a month more

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 AM

That's a really good point about the control panel change. Since they no longer offer the plan I'm on, and are migrating to a clustered failover arrangement, it's entirely possible that it would be a substantial move, making a cancellation / repurchase the easiest way to do it.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't make much sense for a company to go through a process that costs them for example $30 of labour time when they might only be getting a few dollars a month more
Then again, not doing so might mean losing the customer altogether. They certainly aren't earning any points in the customers' eyes, especially since many customers of theirs signed up back when there were plenty of package upgrades possible.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc
Then again, not doing so might mean losing the customer altogether. They certainly aren't earning any points in the customers' eyes, especially since many customers of theirs signed up back when there were plenty of package upgrades possible.
You need to take into account the scale of it as well though. A few customers manually moved is fair enough but when you start getting into the thousands of customers then you are looking at a nightmare if there is no automated solution available. What about the user with 200 email accounts needing recreated on the new system, how long would that take?

One way encryption in the database would most possibly prevent them from getting any FTP passwords, e-mail passwords or any other similar items so they would need to ask the client for a list of everything associated with the account before they manually transferred it over. Doing it this way also allows the customer to get used to the new setup before they actually change the DNS over, which some people would no doubt prefer.

From what the OP has said, it's 2 separate services and they are not being forced into this move, it's their choice and the company are just telling them that the move needs to be done manually if they wish to switch over.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

These are different plans, different servers, different DNS. Some people like to take weeks once the transfer is completed before updating DNS, some take longer. For this reason we require them to signup for the new plan and request the transfer if required. Then they need to check and make sure everything is ok before updating DNS. If we did it any other way then they would be getting two accounts for the price of one. If it was an upgrade where the account remained on the same server then this is not required since the upgrade is seamless.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 AM
The Geek is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzKiet
These are different plans, different servers, different DNS. Some people like to take weeks once the transfer is completed before updating DNS, some take longer. For this reason we require them to signup for the new plan and request the transfer if required. Then they need to check and make sure everything is ok before updating DNS. If we did it any other way then they would be getting two accounts for the price of one. If it was an upgrade where the account remained on the same server then this is not required since the upgrade is seamless.
That sounds reasonable enough

Old 12-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

They may be getting two accounts for the price of one, but they can only use one at a time anyway. And to prevent this, you might give clients some sort of a deadline. eg 7 days to move all accounts over and change of DNS. Or even better, move it for your clients and this way, you can ensure that it won't be two for price of one and extra brownies point from clients

just my 2c.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rois
They may be getting two accounts for the price of one, but they can only use one at a time anyway.
I'm pretty sure they will have some sort of temporary URL, meaning it's easy to use both at the same time. You could even setup the main site to pull bandwidth intensive items from the other account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rois
And to prevent this, you might give clients some sort of a deadline. eg 7 days to move all accounts over and change of DNS. Or even better, move it for your clients and this way, you can ensure that it won't be two for price of one and extra brownies point from clients
Moving them means the client is instantly thrown into the deep end where they need to learn the new way to do things. Giving them 7 days and you would have people complaining about wanting 14 days or a month. Also after the 7 days, you delete the account from the old server, then what do you do when the client says they hadn't moved it over yet? You just deleted their data off the live site.

I've been through this exact situation and any pros you can think of, there are also cons to go along with it.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

Sorry if I seem to be hijacking this thread. Just that this reminds me of someone
who had a similar problem.

One person I know used to have his unix hosting package with Network Solutions.
When he asked them to upgrade to a level-higher but under windows, he was told
to buy a new one and move the stuff over.

He complained about it and asked for one of their supervisors. I don't know what
exactly happened during that conversation, but he told me he wasn't too happy.

When he asked me if what they asked him is legitimate since others can do it, oh I
just told him that not all companies are created equal.

Some people sometimes forget they do have choices.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Disabled

Upgrading is a easy task, even if the server is different, only on customer side DNS change is required,

but changing from Linux to windows, sure may be what they said is correct. as the control panel is different, they will do i think but for an extra charge. thats what i know.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ResellerZOOM Listing 2014-04-23 16:29:20
ResellerZOOM Listing 2014-04-23 16:31:32
ResellerZOOM Listing 2014-04-23 16:32:06
Web Host HostGee Rolls Out Managed Firewall Cluster Service Web Hosting News 2012-10-22 15:36:38
VPS.net Expands Cloud in Asia by Adding Tokyo as Cloud Hosting Option Web Hosting News 2012-10-02 15:12:05