Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you feel about the new WHT layout now?

We've tweaked the layout a bit since implementation. What do you think of it now?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    We've tweaked the layout a bit since implementation. What do you think of it now?
    Ok Denny boy, I have had a few Crwon & Cokes tonight, But can you tell me, What different am I looking for?
    Dave

We've mostly played with the postbit (the part where you are reading this post) after implementing the skyscraper banner over there. >>>>>

I guess I dont see the change.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

What if we are using postbit and not postbit legacy? Did you make the changes on both?
    Dave

I still think the skyscraper was unneccessary, and an intrusion, but looks like that baby's been born, so it can't go back, no matter how weak the argument was for needing it.

I was hoping that the skyscraper could be kept to the narrow skyscraper banners (120 wide) instead of the 160 wide banners. Then that part of the site could be narrowed, and more space opened up for the forum content.

I view the site in the old vertical view, as that horizontal view I couldn't get used to. I tried it for a bit, but it's basically horrid.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I still think the skyscraper was unneccessary, and an intrusion, but looks like that baby's been born, so it can't go back, no matter how weak the argument was for needing it.

I was hoping that the skyscraper could be kept to the narrow skyscraper banners (120 wide) instead of the 160 wide banners. Then that part of the site could be narrowed, and more space opened up for the forum content.

I view the site in the old vertical view, as that horizontal view I couldn't get used to. I tried it for a bit, but it's basically horrid.
    Totally agreed.
    Big things coming soon

Thumbs down

I'm sorry but since the skyscraper remains and takes up so much width, I still think it's awful. Read my sig!!
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Suggestions:

1) Why not introducing different stylesheets for users ?

The ones which dont like the adds just move the x,y parameters to outside of the screen

2) How about overlaying those adds with user uploadable images ?

Would that help ? ;-)

I personally think the new layout is not the worst.

Inet could have put the adds in the middle of the posts and I hope they are never implementing such disgusting technics. The banners at the top and the bottom are not too distructing. The skyscraper, well its not my favourite but could be much worse.

Remember those adds that expand over the whole screen where you have to press "close" or "exit" to actually be able to continue where you left off ?
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 12-06-2006 at 01:39 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I got used to the new layout. It was a bit strange at first, but now it's second nature. All it took was a bit of practice.

I use 1280x1024 resolution, so personally, I don't feel that the board is too crowded, but I understand how for others it might seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    I guess I dont see the change.
    I dont see any change either Dennis...

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Well, at first I was a little lost when i wanted to see who was writing and number of posts, notice that the space between answers is bigger so it takes more vertical space.

But now is all good i just got used to it
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

SWR,

I don't see what's changed, do you have before and after screenshots by chance?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I don't see any changes recently either They must be hidden changes

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    I'm sorry but since the skyscraper remains and takes up so much width, I still think it's awful. Read my sig!!
    I've clicked that sidescraper ad about 60 times just attempting to click around the site in my current view.

Ugh!
    Oh well, made someone some money and it'll pay for the servers.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    I don't see any changes recently either They must be hidden changes
    WOW... If you don't see them then we how are we suposed to notice them

(<sigh> I don't see them either)
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

Honestly - the skyscraper ad does not bother me. Maybe it's because my screen size/ resolution but it's just an ad on the right side that takes up roughly 10/20% of the screen while you still get 80% content. It's there. It's staying. So why do we continue to moan and cry over it. I think people need to grow up, respect their decision, and move on to discussing what this forum is all about. Just my two cents.

This thread is about the current layout. It's titled, "How do you feel about the WHT layout now?" because I wanted to know how everyone's getting along with it. There wasn't a lot of positive feedback three weeks ago when we first implemented it. But we kept tweaking away (not sure if we're done) and have what we have now.

So if we don't consider what WHT used to look like (it has gone through a few changes), how do you feel about this design? Is there anything that could improve functionality, flow, and overall usability? Or is it fine the way it is?

I understand and respect the approach you are taking, I just get tired of hearing people complaining about the ad and not actually discussing what you intended, so I do apologize for my wild hair.

I think the current layout is great.

Is there anything that could improve functionality, flow, and overall usability?
    Yea...get rid of the ad
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    Yea...get rid of the ad
    Which ad is that? Top, bottom, sides, signatures, offers forums?

Not that I think it's an option. But I'd like to know what you're referring to.

Which ad is that? Top, bottom, sides, signatures, offers forums?

Not that I think it's an option. But I'd like to know what you're referring to.
    The new one on the side of posts of course. It's ugly
    Big things coming soon

I really don't see why so many see the skyscraper ad as ugly but to each their own. I believe though that it is this ad that most people are having concerns about. The old layout was preferred.

I think that if you were to remove this particular ad from the right side within the actual thread and just leave it up on the main forum listing page, many people would be content.

With the layout - there is only so much you can tweak and until you remove the ad, i think all the tweaking will be a waste.

We've mostly played with the postbit (the part where you are reading this post) after implementing the skyscraper banner over there. >>>>>

Hehe put any banners anywhere you want, my zonealarm will kill all those banners and ads so all i see is lots of white blank spaces , but it looks better than flashy annoying banners
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

That Skyscaper ad is nothing new for me......

Im on another site that has alot of FLASHING ADS all down both sides!!! (Most of the way anyway)....This isnt that bad........

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast