Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes, I think that you're right, only on VPS (non managed) and dedicated servers you'll have to deal with that kind of things.

About recommendations, I can't give you any unfortunately, because I never used them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    As Hostfrog said, on a shared host you'll need to set your forum and that's it (if that what you use). You don't need to worry about the server setting or maintenance.

There are many flash tutorials that can help you to set email account, create mysql databases, create subdomains, etc.

You may not need to worry about server maintenance, but you will need to learn how to update your scripts unless you find a host that will do that for you.

Thank you Chris.
    Do some of the mentioned hostings (httpme.com site5.com lunarpages.com hostrocket.com hostingzoom.com inmotionhosting.com emaxhosting.com hostgator.com sharkspace.com servage.net) will do this for me (or at least tell me how to do)?

If you were able to download phpbb and upload and install it to a shared server, you should be able to update it. It is usually just uploading some updated files, possibly running the installer again and your done. Not all scripts are that easy, but some are. The updates will usually have a README file that will instruct you on how to update.

If you install it using an auto-installer (at least with Fantastico, don't know about others) you can upgrade your forum software just with a few clicks.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    If you install it using an auto-installer (at least with Fantastico, don't know about others) you can upgrade your forum software just with a few clicks.
    Yup, and more than likely the most easiest way to install this script. I am sure the OP has installed it this way. However, if that is the case...would his future host have to have fantastico installed, if infact it was a fantastico installed script?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Lunarpages is the best hands down. I have been there over 3 yrs and would not think of changing hosts. There are many scripts available for auto install thru your cpanel (Fantastico), you can manually installl any others, the mySQL database queries are 50 simultaneous, and there are tons of bandwidth and space, and they will transfer your site for you, up to 5 databases if each is less than 300mb. The service and support is excellent. I would definitely consider them before any other. Just my two cents worth. Good luck with your choice whatever it may be.

Ratpatrol

Forgot to mention that if its hand holding you need, their forums have alot of help for that with quick replies as well as paid forum moderators !
    Last edited by ratpatrol; 12-05-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItBroker
    Very good!

At this point:
    - I think that all my fears about managing an hosting camed from reading experiences of people who had to set VPS, dedicated servers, etc.. am I right?
    - Which one of those hostings (httpme.com site5.com lunarpages.com hostrocket.com hostingzoom.com inmotionhosting.com emaxhosting.com hostgator.com sharkspace.com servage.net) has the best technical support?

Again, thank you!
    Dear ItBroker,

You should really try searching WHT for additional information about these companies (just go here: http://webhostingtalk.com/search.php and enter the names of the hosting companies you'd like to find more information and reviews on as keywords). There are literally *hundreds*+ reviews on the various companies that you mentioned. No one person in this thread can authoritatively tell you that X company has THE BEST support or that Y company would fit your needs perfectly - that is a decision you are going to have to ultimately make on your own (based on whatever information/reviews you gather in this thread and via other threads/mediums).

After researching the various providers and again narrowing down your list (or expanding it if you find some other viable options), try contacting the company you are interested in directly via their sales department to get a better feel for the type of service they provide and whether or not you think they would best suit your needs. Also - remember that a lot of people posting on WHT are DIRECT competitors of the hosts that you mentioned, so their "suggestions" *might* be a little bit biased. With that being said, there are many people here that are honestly just trying to help you out and provide you with the best possible information.

I have two quick questions for you:

1. I know that you don't have a specific budget - but do you need to find a company that can provide “the best support/service” for $5.00 per month? $20.00 per month? $100.0 per month? If you really don't have any budget, you can go with a truly high end managed VPS/server provider that can offer large amounts of bandwidth, server processing power, max mysql connects, etc. in a very stable environment.

2. Are you looking for a host that can really help “hold your hand” and actually take the time to help you learn (you mentioned you were a quick learner!) instead of just pointing you to a knowledgebase, FAQ, or google? Many hosts are willing to troubleshoot any *technical* problems that you have with your actual account or the server that you are on, but aren’t very good at/willing to hold your hand/teach you various things about successfully running a website.

EDIT:

And I almost forgot - I wish you the very best of luck in your search for a new host!
    Last edited by Brendan Diaz; 12-05-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Thank you very much for your message Brendan Diaz!
    1- Can you suggest me some of these full managed VPS/dedicated?
    2- You are right; I fully understand!

be prepaired to pay big bucks if you want 100% managed hosting

Or $29 a month for the managing, www.platinumservermanagement.com.
    As for VPS providers, I've heard good things about www.jaguarpc.com.
    Do a search though, it always helps.

But personally, when it comes to VPS, the memory on the things is so expensive it's stupid.

So if you're looking to have a cPanel VPS, or Plesk VPS, stop looking and grab a fully managed dedicated server, or an unmanaged one and managing from www.platinumservermanagement.com.

I'm sure if you tell them you're a hosting newbie they'll harden it and install any stuff you want them to easily.

Hope I helped, and good luck.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

I think Audacity can do everything you're asking, and it's free

Thank you very much for your message Brendan Diaz!
    1- Can you suggest me some of these full managed VPS/dedicated?
    2- You are right; I fully understand!

Lunarpages has some good packages in the VPS/Dedicated area if you're interested in them. I would offer a link to the pages with the info on it but I think it would be against the TOS (*note to self: go back ad re-read TOS).

At any rate, speaking from a shared hosting point of view(I am hosted at Lunarpages), the questions you've asked are easily answered. Go to the Lunarpages site (or any that you decided to narrow the search down to) and ask them either by phone or by live chat.

You can request that Lunarpages transfer the website content for you, making this as easy a process for you as possible.

I myself have 3 blogs, a small SMF forum plus web pages and have not had any issues to date. Clients of mine have large SMF forums along with multiple web pages, photo albums, etc. and are still going strong.

So, you see, contacting them will shed a lot of light too. That plus the information you learn from here too.

Quote Originally Posted by ratpatrol
    Lunarpages is the best hands down. I have been there over 3 yrs and would not think of changing hosts.
    Mind sharing with us the domain you have been hosting there?

ItBroker...

you may try any of the host you have mentioned, but you should only purchase what is required. For example if your site only requires 300mb of web space, do not go an purchase a hosting package that gives you 10gb. At least that should in theory get you a more decent host. And if it sounds too cheap or too good to be true...then you have to becareful.

Good luck with your search.
    Roi

Upgrading forum softwares can sometimes be very very tricky , cause i know i have upgraded so many forums to this date, phpbb was my fav. as all you could do on a modded phpbb is edit mannually. For moving to other host i tell this most of the time on phpbb.com when they request how to transfer :

1. Go to phpmyadmin (if you have it in you account). >Download the Gzipped format of the sql database (your forums) > If you did not understand might want to check http://www.forums.a1whs.com/index.php?topic=13.0

2. Put new install of same version( you know how to install phpbb right if not let me know will provide a small how-to on that too) you currently run on old host.
    4. Now go into phpmyadmin of new host, and click on the new forums db for your new forums.
    5. Drop all tables and everything on your new hosts sql for forums.
    6.Click on import tab, browse to your sql backup you made from old host and press go.
    7. After it says blabla instructions executed succefully without error you are 1 step closer to transferring away.
    8. Now this part is trick, on you new db browse for phpbb_config table and i think on page 2 or 3 of it lies your server location url and stuff. or you can use at this stag the autocookies mod found on phpbb.com

After step 8 and setting your db configs to your new server and location you will have your forums transferrred.

If some of the steps above are not clear post on phpbb.com and you will get some reply.

As far as hosts you listed, i dunno never used them. So goodluck.

Enjoy.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

You are right Jedito!
    UnitedHosting.co.uk doesn't offer more than 20 gb/month.

Too bad.. from what I readed here they looked professional.
    We offer as much bandwidth as a client requires. The page shows suggested packages and asks you to contact us with bigger requirements.

All the best with your search.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12