Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HostJury.com dissappearing reivews?

One of our long-time clients let us know today he put a review of us up on hostjury.com and that we should send him a 6-pak. Needless to say, I was happy that we were getting a published review and went to check it out.

http://hostjury.com/reviews/169/

Earlier in the day the review was there, but now it's gone. Is this normal?

Regards,
      0 Not allowed!

Disappearing reviews primarily because two different reviews under diferent names were posted from the same IP within 8 minutes of within each other.

If you played any role in the posting be sure to let me know so we can ban your company from the site on a more permanent basis.

Thank you for your time!

So yes, to answer your question: Removal of fraudulent posts is in fact a very normal occurrence on my site. This wasn't the first time I've had to remove several reviews of your company myself: Let's do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again, shall we?
    Last edited by David; 12-05-2006 at 05:15 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

I take offense to what you are implying.

The poster has been a client of ours for a long time: he is a web designer that has several projects with us, and I know some of his associates also have sites with us.

Did you not verify the websites?
    How about contacting him?
    Why develop the attitude when you say you run an impartial site?

I have no doubt that he was at his office with the other designers and that a few of them posted.

Thank you for your time!!!

For the record, most of our client base comes from referells, and they often have a mob mentatlity when it comes to technology.

edit: do you mind sharing the sites involved these "other times"? feel free to PM them to me and I will ask the owners.
    Last edited by utropicmedia-karl; 12-05-2006 at 05:29 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Karl,

Of course I didn't verify the websites. Whomever it was posted two reviews under TWO different names within an 8 minute time period!

What's to review?!
    Why waste my time contacting him?
    Why not develop an attitude when I run an impartial site and have to spend 8 hours a day removing fraudulent reviews?!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Because you chose to run the site - performing due-dillegence on "fradulant" reviews is something you should do; clearly you do not and are satisfied tossing everything in the "it must be fraudulant" bucket. It is your choice, and I cannot fault you.

That being said, I did speak with Nick a bit ago, the one who posted the review. He said another guy, Jason, posted a review as well. I guess people in the same office talk. Go figure.

They do run NAT at thier office, for future reference.
      0 Not allowed!

What I find remarkable on HostJury is that there are so many reviews for FusedNetwork compared to all other hosts. Any particular reason for that do you think David?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    What I find remarkable on HostJury is that there are so many reviews for FusedNetwork compared to all other hosts. Any particular reason for that do you think David?
    heh.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, why did does not surprise me?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Karl,

Why not develop an attitude when I run an impartial site and have to spend 8 hours a day removing fraudulent reviews?!
    Because you don't run an impartial site.

You know it, I know it, I hope that everybody know it soon too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

a traceroute shows that hostjury.com is running on server2.fusednetwork.com
      0 Not allowed!

Domain name: fusednetwork.com

Registrant Contact:
    dba
    David McKendrick ()
    +1.4168467910
    Fax: +1.
    Unit 2419
    280 Wellesley Street East
    Toronto, ST M2k6n2
    CA

Domain name: hostjury.com

Registrant Contact:
    Fused Network
    David McKendrick ()
    Fax: +1.4163150566
    280 Wellesley Street East
    apt 2419
    Toronto, ONTARIO m9a5e3
    CA

Nice thread

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=546750

Fused Network Reviews (point to hostjury reviews, of course, http://hostjury.com/reviews/fused-network/ ), yes, you run an impartial site, right.
      0 Not allowed!

BTW David, since you're going to read this thread, I want to ask you AGAIN to remove my company from your directory, I don't want to get my company relationed with that site at all, I asked you at least 5 times, remove DowntownHost from hostjury.
      0 Not allowed!

Well. Perhaps it was that I had a hostjury link on all of my forum signatures on my site, in most of my newsletters (hey, I happen to mention it in my signature: I don't hide it as one of my sites. I'm very open about it.) and I had it directly on my my site as a link for months before fusednetwork or hostjury even launched publicly.

And I appreciate the dead air phone calls this evening, they're ****ing hilarious.
    May I recommend moonlighting as a comedian?
    David
      0 Not allowed!

Well. Perhaps it was that I had a hostjury link on all of my forum signatures on my site
    Yes, such a large community how is not going to make the difference?... 128 threads

BTW, is not your signature in your forum call as review soliciting?

Want to tell everyone about Fused Network? Try these sites:
    Revu your webhost at webhostingrevu
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com
    http://www.httptalk.com
    Don't you think?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    a traceroute shows that hostjury.com is running on server2.fusednetwork.com
    Haha, thats halarious, but why doesnt it suprise me...
      0 Not allowed!

And I appreciate the dead air phone calls this evening, they're ****ing hilarious.
    May I recommend moonlighting as a comedian?
    Was that to me? I assure you I haven't been phoning you, and I don't think I'd make a good comedian.

As for being "open about it", I don't see any disclaimer on the hostjury site indicating that it is owned and run by the same person that owns and runs one of the hosts featured. Don't you think that would be appropriate?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Was that to me? I assure you I haven't been phoning you, and I don't think I'd make a good comedian.

As for being "open about it", I don't see any disclaimer on the hostjury site indicating that it is owned and run by the same person that owns and runs one of the hosts featured. Don't you think that would be appropriate?
    Perhaps a big red warning label saying "Danger, someone who funds this operation may fund another".

Excellent idea, I'll pass it along to the developers.
    David
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, I see. You only "fund this operation". Something gave me the impression you were more hands-on. Perhaps this:

This wasn't the first time I've had to remove several reviews of your company myself: Let's do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again, shall we?
    Chris

0 Not allowed!

While the negative points are well-taken, give the guy a break, folks.
      0 Not allowed!

Everyone posting here (besides David) is acting like a complete idiot. He runs a review site and a web hosting company. Big deal.

It's his right to feature reviews from his company if he wants to. I know for a fact that he wouldn't have fake reviews posted about his company (some people here actually have ethics, imagine that). He also has the right to remove or refuse reviews for any host. Nowhere on his site does it state that it is YOUR right to have a host listed. Heck, if he wanted, he could remove all other reviews besides FusedNetwork. It's his site, he can have the content he desires.

As for the OP, why would your customer have 2 people on the same IP address submit reviews in the first place? I would have taken the same action as David, deleting the reviews. Perhaps you should start thinking with a little bit of logic as if it were your review site.

As for Jedito, your posts don't amaze me. You act like a total fool in most of your threads and can never face that fact that you're sometimes wrong.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh for tonight, it was needed.
      0 Not allowed!

As for Jedito, your posts don't amaze me. You act like a total fool in most of your threads and can never face that fact that you're sometimes wrong.
    I'm a lot of times wrong, but not with this guy. I'm sure of that, he shows (in another forum) how can shamelessly lie to everybody.
    I wont take notice of your insult, because, coming from you, it is a flattery.

Nowhere on his site does it state that it is YOUR right to have a host listed. Heck, if he wanted, he could remove all other reviews besides FusedNetwork. It's his site, he can have the content he desires.
    That wont make the site impartial as he stated it. And as I'm sure is not.
      0 Not allowed!

Jedito,

I would absolutely love to see a single place where I've been remotely dishonest with you. I gave you the exact reasoning why I removed the posts: Your client was MILITANT about having them up there and visiting the reviews every few minutes to ensured it remained after it removed.

I watch traffic trends very closely and even at the slightest chance of it being a false review I remove it.

Anywho, last word:

If I were in this for the money -- I'd have thirty review sites and would play dirty along with everyone else with listings based on affiliate payout rather than reviews at all.

Money is the least of my concerns.

PE-Steve,

Thank you for the kind words!
    Appreciated.
    David
      0 Not allowed!

I would absolutely love to see a single place where I've been remotely dishonest with you. I gave you the exact reasoning why I removed the posts: Your client was MILITANT about having them up there and visiting the reviews every few minutes to ensured it remained after it removed.
    What a crime! right? She should be in jail, she told you before to post the review that she were going to do it and then she visited your site to see if the review were still there. Really, that's really bad huh?

Then 2 more reviews were removed for what reason? Oh, I remember, there was not a HTTP REFERAL at the logs. Maybe I should send to my customers to Guantanamo and put them in an exhaustive interrogatory to ask them how they found your site. And another, because I paid to my designer to do the design (not to put reviews anywhere, he's a real customer and he pay on monthly basis for my services, Excuses are like asses, everybody's got one, and they all stink. You can find as many as you want to remove a review. As I really told you if I would wanted to get adventage of a "fake" or solicited review, I would send them to a bigger and better site than yours which it just doesn't worth it.

You're not only dishonest with me, but with all the people who visit your site thinking that you're impartial with the reviews, I'm 100% sure that you're not that exhaustive on the investigations for the reviews post for fussednetwork. I'm not the only one who said that you removed real reviews, you know that too, nor was told only in this forum.

That's your site and you can do whatever you want, that's true, but do not pretend that's impartial as you try to make it look, that's dishonest, unethical and inmoral.

Money is the least of my concerns.
    Then why do you have listed your own company which obviously have a privileged position under the others in that directory?

Don't come to here to play as mister nice guy when you privately call me Scam, you're a wolf in sheep's clothes.

And how many times and in how many way should I ask you that please REMOVE DOWNTOWNHOST from your site.
    Last edited by Jedito; 12-05-2006 at 11:28 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Not exhaustive on my own company's reviews?!

All I need to do to see that they're fake is if there's a related billing entry in my database!

I've called you quite a bit privately. It was private for a reason so that I wouldn't have to bash your company based on my personal opinion.

And how many times and in how many way should I ask you that please REMOVE DOWNTOWNHOST from your site.
    A cease and desist. Nothing more, nothing less. Mmm, freedom.
    David
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Why should he? Because your clients or ex-clients reviewed your company? Aww, your feelings hurt?

Welcome to the business world, my friend.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok first of all to those unhappy, why even bother asking your clients to post review on hostjury.com why does it matter so much, there are billions of review sites out there, try them, stop posting reviews at hostjury.com if you do not like it or u think that they are crooks, move on and grow up for once.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    Why should he? Because your clients or ex-clients reviewed your company? Aww, your feelings hurt?

Welcome to the business world, my friend.

LOL, you should follow the thread before to make this nonsense comment.

He removed all the legitims reviews about us. And at this point, I don't want to being listed in a site that I considered a Scam.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Ok first of all to those unhappy, why even bother asking your clients to post review on hostjury.com why does it matter so much, there are billions of review sites out there, try them, stop posting reviews at hostjury.com if you do not like it or u think that they are crooks, move on and grow up for once.
    Who's asking to any customer to post in Hostjury? indeed, one of my customers told me that he were going to do it, I told him that he can do whatever he want, however, I warned him that his review were going to probably being removed, at the next day he contacted me to let me know that I was right, the review was removed.

I don't send to my customers to review us there or anywhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Not exhaustive on my own company's reviews?!

All I need to do to see that they're fake is if there's a related billing entry in my database!
    And with the other all you have to do is a whois for the domains reported, however, I saw that you not only check at the logs for referrers, but also check if they how often visit your site!!!.
    I guess that you would not remove a review about your company if your customer visit your site often, right?
      0 Not allowed!

And therein lies the problem. It's easy to verify reviews from your own clients but much harder for other hosts' clients.
    I watch traffic trends very closely and even at the slightest chance of it being a false review I remove it.
    If you mistakenly remove a genuine review of another host you'll be accused of bias, but if you let everything through then the unscrupulous hosts will fill up your database with spam.

It's a tricky one...
    Chris

0 Not allowed!

Folks, it's David's site. If he wants to remove reviews, he can. If he has his own hosting site being reviewed there, he can. If he wants to dance around his office in a pink podadod dress, he can.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Folks, it's David's site. If he wants to remove reviews, he can. If he has his own hosting site being reviewed there, he can. If he wants to dance around his office in a pink podadod dress, he can.
    I 100% agreed with you in that, however, is unethical and immoral is to simulate that's an impartial site when is not.
      0 Not allowed!

I 100% agreed with you in that, however, is unethical and immoral is to simulate that's an impartial site when is not.
    Jedito,

If I could put it across in a way that wouldn't require a warning sign -- I would.
    I'm more than open about the project -- if I wanted to hide things I more than have the technical capability and knowhow to do so.

Anywho!
    </thread>
    David
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know what could you hide, indeed I don't know of what you're talking about.
      0 Not allowed!

I just wanted to chime in and say I have also seen legitimate reviews removed from hostjury without any explination. I'm sorry but I don't see whats going on at that site as ethical, no offense David but you keep your company at the top no matter what. Thats all fine and dandy but please don't act impartial.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    I just wanted to chime in and say I have also seen legitimate reviews removed from hostjury without any explination. I'm sorry but I don't see whats going on at that site as ethical, no offense David but you keep your company at the top no matter what. Thats all fine and dandy but please don't act impartial.
    Ross,

There has only ever been a single review from you removed when it was requested removed.

There've been some random reviews removed for not meeting the site standards (e.g. dedicated only providers -- it's hostjury, not dedicatedjury) but beyond that I have never removed anything with some alterior motive in mind.

If it's legitimate and doesn't smell fishy it sticks around. If it smells a tad off I'd much rather you post it elsewhere.

I've learned over the years in this industry that it's best to go with your gut instinct when reading threads and reviews.

As I've stated time and time again if there's anything remotely fishy about something I'd much rather remove it than chance some unsuspecting victim. If you have any issues with that feel free to not use my site!

It's not rocket science :/

Note: I almost never contact anyone who posts a review at HJ -- if I'm removing your review I'm not going to send you a heads up letting you know the reason so you can try harder to shill the next time around and pick a better proxy -- I'll keep my removal reasons to myself.
    Last edited by David; 12-06-2006 at 02:31 AM.
    David
      0 Not allowed!

You may want to remove also to servint then, they provide only VPS and dedicated servers and that'll make your site #2 in your top list
      0 Not allowed!

You may want to remove also to servint then, they provide only VPS and dedicated servers and that'll make your site #2 in your top list
    Well, technically VPS is shared hosting so it sticks around.
    And as far as the second remark goes: Keep it to yourself, once again if I had any interest in money the site would NOT be a democratic top list with a company that doesn't even have an affiliate program in the #1 spot.

The site gets more than enough traffic to push 500 dollars a day in affiliate sales.
    The banners on the site are the only advertisements that I choose the location of.

And Jedito, please. Get help, you've got issues.
    David
      0 Not allowed!

once again if I had any interest in money the site would NOT be a democratic top list with a company that doesn't even have an affiliate program in the #1 spot.
    What arbitrary concepts of "democratic" do you have, when you solely select which reviews are going to stay or go.
    Also, I tell you again, if you don't have interest in money, why is your site there?

I don't know what's your business model for that site, maybe to keep as #1 one who offer VPS and dedicated (therefore does not compite with yours) , #2 a company which charge almost the double than yours and below to yours, to hostgator, the one that does compite with fussednetworks, I don't know, I'm just making free speculations

And Jedito, please. Get help, you've got issues.
    I told you that first
    Last edited by Jedito; 12-06-2006 at 02:49 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

What arbitrary concepts of "democratic" do you have, when you solely select which reviews are going to stay or go.
    Also, I tell you again, if you don't have interest in money, why is your site there?

I don't know what's your business model for that site, maybe to keep as #1 one who offer VPS and dedicated (therefore does not compite with yours) , #2 a company which charge almost the double than yours and below to yours, to hostgator, the one that does compite with fussednetworks, I don't know, I'm just making free speculations

As far as I can see you have some affiliate links to hostgator.

I told you that first
    Jedito,

Surprisingly enough that's not a bad idea except it isn't how the traffic works!
    Users don't sit and click through the list -- they click the top link and vacate hostjury as if it never existed.

If I had any intention of using it to push fused the review list would be static, the site would have Martin's name in the whois and it would be hosted on some other provider.

And honestly, I'd make a killing doing that too -- easily increase my company's clientbase 10 fold in less than a month based on hj's current traffic trend.

I don't, won't and couldn't care less what your opinion on the matter is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I'm really beginning to like the idea of the dress. Beats this!
    David
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast