Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Smile ArcticWebDesign.com: Please Review

Hi,
    I'm 13 years old, and the youngest registered legal business owner in Connecticut...I've designed over a dozen sites for businesses throughout the United States.

Please review my site, www.arcticwebdesign.com, and please be brutally honest. I might change the color scheme eventually...

Thanks!

Tom

Not too bad.. I would consider using a color that doesn't draw as much attention for those bars. You don't want viewers spending too much time on those.. The page also sends the feeling that there isn't enough content, with that white space on the left and the right of the content.

Thanks for your feedback. Take a look at www.arcticwebdesign.com/index2.html

Do you like that color better for the bars? A lighter yellow?

I like that color much better. It's doesn't sting or draws too much attention. Why did you take the flag away from the logo on the top? I liked it better when it was there, it seems a bit emptier without it.

Flag is back...my mistake.

Any other comments on the rest of the site? Thanks for your help.

Should I go one shade lighter with the light yellow?

Like this: www.arcticwebdesign.com/index3.html

No, I like index2 better. The shade you used in index3 makes it look too dull..

Uh, can't think of any other suggestions right now.

To be brutally honest, I really don't like either of the 3 designs, you have displayed.

iamdave,
    Thanks for being brutally honest. I'm curious what exactly you don't like about them, so I can improve on them.

The layout is Okay. However I am not a big fan of yellow at all. After being on the computer for several hours, viewing a yellow bothers my eyes

Originally posted by Tom Kaplan
    iamdave,
    Thanks for being brutally honest. I'm curious what exactly you don't like about them, so I can improve on them.
    It doesn't have the look nor the feel of a web design web site, I do not see much professionalism.

Hi Tom,

To be "brutally" honest, you did a great job on your website. However, how about trying this color (#D8DACC) for your bars? I think it'll blend well with the rest of the color schemes.

Good luck in your already-brighten future!

Ahh, I failed to read that you were 13 years old, for a 13 year old, that site is amazing, I do apologize, for being 13, to be brutally honest, it's a good site.

Tom,
    considering you are 13, you are doing a great job......nice list of clients you have there also.......It looks like will have a definite future in this industry..........

In terms of the site, reviewing it knowing that you are 13, I'd say its great.....

FOr a general review:
    Layout and navigation is really good....it is easy to use, and you present nice visual/textual descriptions in the subpages which get the point across well........
    Design elements:
    This is where you can improve......I didnt mind the color scheme too much..but if you add a few things here and there, such as improvements through the header, and some extra touches to the nav, it will look better.........
    Considering the name of your business, I would personally go with a design that made use of arctic colors, such as blues and whites, with some nice ice crystal effects through the header...

Also, look to using more CSS to control fonts and other styles throughout the site.........

anyway, good luck with it.....

cheers
    --

I don't really think his age is relevant. Just because he is 13 doesn't mean he has a limit to how well he can design websites.

To be honest, it is.. Well, plain. There's nothing "Eye Catching." The colors are nice though.

Basically, In needs work.

Actually age has a lot to do with it. Do you think an 8 year old can design a site like 2advanced, I doubt it. With age comes wisdom and knowledge. He may have talent, but at a young age he might not be able to use those talents, however, with age those talents can come into play. SO age does have a lot to do with it.

iamdave- Do you know an 8 year old can't design a site like 2advanced?

Originally posted by Cha0s
    iamdave- Do you know an 8 year old can't design a site like 2advanced?
    I clearly said, do you *think* an 8 year old can, and I said I *doubt* it, I never said it wasn't possible, I merely reinforced the fact that it would be close to impossible for an 8 year old to pull off something of that caliber. I have a question for you: Do you know an 8 year old that can?

Thanks for all your feedback!

I think age does matter...considering I have no training and I have limited access to software since I can't go out and plop down $500 to buy Illustrator.

My site is not really that important to my business, as most of my clients come from either word of mouth, referrals, or by media coverage.

Thanks for your help.

iamdave- Yes, I know what you said. As for your question, I don't know any 8 year olds.

Tom Kaplan- If you being 13 is a problem, then why are you in this business? I don't think that's fair to your customers or anyone looking to hire you.

hmm... I guess age does matter. I just think that if someone is going to provide a service they can't use age as an excuse. If I was going to pay you $250 to design my site, I would want it done right.

To be brutally honest, your design needs some re-thinking.

If I were to contract either a company or freelance designer, I would want their own website to be something exceptional. (Original concepts, well-organized, attractive, etc...) If not, I'd at least expect their portfolio presentention to be absolutely SUPERB.

I would honestly suggest constructing a new design. I've seen that simplistic table layout replicated 100's of times. Not to mention, it's something that I (and many others) could produce in less than 5 minutes.

Now, to take your age into consideration... I do not believe there's anything holding you back. You may be 13, but I've seen many young individuals produce work that is comparable to some of the top new media design firms out there.

BTW: Some of you may want to have a loook at this company: http://www.cyberteks.net - It was founded by an 11 year old, now they have corporate officies all over the world and have become very well estalished.

I think age does matter...considering I have no training and I have limited access to software since I can't go out and plop down $500 to buy Illustrator.
    Close to 70% (could be more) of all web designers, graphic artists, and programmers gained their skills without any actual professional training.

I understand how software purchases may be a problem for you, but you could always live off trial versions. (That's what I had been doing for about a year...)

My site is not really that important to my business, as most of my clients come from either word of mouth, referrals, or by media coverage.
    How can that be true? You are offering WWW related services. Your website plays a huge role in the success of your ONLINE business venture.

Lastly, I'd like to wish you good luck for the future. Continue perfecting you skills and building up your knowledge.

Originally posted by Synthetic
    How can that be true? You are offering WWW related services. Your website plays a huge role in the success of your ONLINE business venture.
    Very true. Also on your website you have set prices. How can every site you create have the same dollar amount?

Hey there, Tom.

I'm glad to see that you've taken the initiative at such a young age to get involved in this industry.

I myself am 15 years of age, I began aquiring my skills when I was 11.

I have a few suggestions that you may or may not want to take into consideration:

• Better organize the pages of your site, it's a bit sloppy. On some pages, the content is aligned to the center. On others, to the left. Unification will improve the look of your site.

• Do not include the American flag within your design. Seems a bit cheesy, overdone, and does not fit well into the profile of a web design company.

• I noticed that you're using free clipart from GoGraph's. It'd make more sense if you had at least designed the graphics of your own site.

• The design is a bit plain. Is this for usability purposes? Self preference? - Design concept?

Overall, when visiting your site, I did not get the impression that it was in any way related to web/graphic design. (Ignoring the logo and text, of course.) I just don't see too many companies with similar designs to this.

- Harry W.
    mail@harrywong.net

Originally posted by Cha0s
    Tom Kaplan- If you being 13 is a problem, then why are you in this business? I don't think that's fair to your customers or anyone looking to hire you.
    Well, seemingly, Cha0s, the only person who thinks his age is a problem is you. I don't think Tom believes being 13 is a problem. I certainly don't.

I give Tom alot of credit for what he's done and for his honesty. I can think of a few "designers" right here at WHT who, through the anonymity of the Internet, present themselves as 30+ years old when in fact they're in their mid teens. I find that to be a problem.

Here's a young ambitious 13 year old who puts his cards right out on the table about his age, prices his work accordingly, and allows prospective clients to make up their own mind about whether he's good enough... I have absolutely no problem with that. It bewilders me that you see any problem whatsoever.

Tom:
    First of all, a hearty congratulations on your accomplishments at such a young age. It's reassuring to see such drive and ambition from our youth.

Your site will laid out well. It's extremely easy to navigate. And it loads very quickly. It is a bit plain for a web design site, but hopefully over time, as you develop your design skills, you will add a little more flair to your site.

Keep up the good work.

Vito

BTW, you should fix the link on your home page for "Spring Mfg". It just gives a directory.
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

vito- Where did I say his age is a problem? If you read what Tom said, you would see he said "age does matter." I have no problem with him being 13.

I agree Tom deservers credit for his honesty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast