Hosting server specs advice needed

I am currently hosting my 2 websites with a shared plan. The stats are like this:

40K page views (80K hits) a day
    10G of traffic a month

I also have a few cron jobs running in the background, all do datacollection and DB processing.
    Both sites are MySQL driven: a blog and a RSS aggregator engine

My current shared host is fine in all ways except they limit the cron job run time to 60 sec which starts to give me a lot of head ache

What specs should I plan for the server should I migrate to dedicated hosting? I need the server to be able to handle 3 times the load since both sites are growing fast.

Thanks for your help.

a VPS would fit.
    512MB Ram

How ever, it highly depends on your PHP softwares.
    it's a forum? if a forum, it's VB, PHPBB, Invision?
    DWS (Desktop Whois System), an easy to use desktop application to whois domains in many TLDs...

IR5.Net Europe Shared Hosting, Reseller accounts and VPS Provider...

The blog is WordPress based
    The other site is an RSS feed aggregator custom built using symfony PHP platform. It requires backend scripts to run every 5 minutes each time fetching and ranking RSS items.
    I gave VPS a thought but at $59 a month from ValueWeb I would rather have the thing entirely for myself if that server specs are good enough.

you should try very-low-end server for this,
    P III 800Mhz
    512M RAM

this is powerful enough

I would agree, you won't need much of a server to do the work you are looking to do. You only need a AMD Sempron Or a Intel Celeron for processor with around 1 Ghz processor speed, but I would suggest atleast 512Mb to 1 Gig of ram. As most web site need more ram than cpu power.

Also you can look for a dedicated server that dosent come with 2000Gb of bandwidth, but somthing more that fits your needs. You probably won't find dedicated with less than 950 or 1000Gb bandwidth though.

Another thing you may want to consider is looking for a shared host that allows the cron jobs to run longer than 60 Seconds.

I hope that helps a little.

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by wireddeals
    The blog is WordPress based
    The other site is an RSS feed aggregator custom built using symfony PHP platform. It requires backend scripts to run every 5 minutes each time fetching and ranking RSS items.
    I gave VPS a thought but at $59 a month from ValueWeb I would rather have the thing entirely for myself if that server specs are good enough.
    Wordpress is a light software, the RSS one doesn't need much process either.
    a 512MB system (Dedi or VPS) works, even 256MB memory may work either.

I suggest VPS since it's upgradable more easier and managable more easier.
    if you buy a low-end dedi, you should leave it once you need a bigger one, while VPS providers USUALLY let you upgrade to a more powerful package later,
    DWS (Desktop Whois System), an easy to use desktop application to whois domains in many TLDs...

IR5.Net Europe Shared Hosting, Reseller accounts and VPS Provider...