Need a good Host without theplanet.com

I need to move to a new host. My current provider is registerpol.com a reseller for theplanet.com. I had some strange problems with my oscommerce site over the past two years. Last summer couldnt access my site from the west coast on and off. Theplanet.com was not very responsive when I called them as the problem appeared to be on thier handshake of the site. I dont draw a ton of bandwidth and I run an oscommerce site. Appreciate all ideas.

Hostgator looked good but they are reselling theplanet and I am afraid of issues.

Rob

There are plenty of providers who have their webservers in other datacenters I'm sure you should have no problem finding a quality provider not in TP.

However to further help what requirements and budget do you have for your hosting so we can point you in the right direction more accurately?

If you would like to find out where a Web Host's site is hosted, you can go to domaintools.com.

Example:
    http://whois.domaintools.com/YourHostsDomain.com

If you look at the IP Location or click the W next to the IP address listed on that page, you can get a pretty good idea of what DC owns the IP.

Keep in mind, that just because the hosts website is located in one DC, it doesn't mean that some of their servers might not be with theplanet. Some hosts prefer not to keep all there eggs in one basket. The best way to find out is ask.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

My requirements are a reliable host. My site is oscommerce but only a few megs total. I have some downloads on my site but this is a b2b site and we dont get a ton of traffic. However I cant afford the site to go down or issues like that as I get call,complaints etc. It is an important part of our business.

Rob

you are using osCommerce, so you can be fine on a Linux server. Do you have any preferred control panel? location?

Quote Originally Posted by robertw477
    My requirements are a reliable host. My site is oscommerce but only a few megs total. I have some downloads on my site but this is a b2b site and we dont get a ton of traffic. However I cant afford the site to go down or issues like that as I get call,complaints etc. It is an important part of our business.

Rob
    It sounds like many hosts could meet your needs. I do recommend however, to avoid hosts who offer plans to good to be true. Try to find a reasonable plan at a reasonable price.

The most important thing is to find a company with good support. A host with a good support team is more likely to fix problems faster should they occur. It seems like every host offers 24x7 support, but the truth comes out when it takes hours or days for them to reply to a support ticket.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

I prefer cpanel. My current provider answers emails but gets snotty when there are issues blaming all sorts of things. I am not a super tech guy but I had somebody tell me the problems/issues that have been going on.

Rob

Did you check to see if your host has another datacenter they have servers in at all? If you are based on the west coast and the majority of your clients are out there, look for someone in Hurricane Electric (HE). They are in Fremont, CA and you should never have outage problems with them.

the west coast thing was one strange problem that was never answered. I did not hear good things from Leo Laporte who has some major sites blowout on theplanet.com on dedicated servers. He said he called them and they were not in a hurry to help. His sites were out for three days and he pulled his biz from them. That did not give me confidance. I had all sorts of wierd things and outages lately.

Rob

Do you have any specific data center you would consider or any other data center other than ThePlanet would be fine?

I would recommend doing a search on www.hostsearch.com, whichever web hosts meets your requirements just contact them and find out which data center they use. Don't forget to search for reviews however, researching a web hosting company is important so you do not end up with that will be gone next morning when you wake up.