datacenter technical problems

Hi,

What are the main issues datacenter staffs receive? I believe most of them would be reboot. What other issues you receive mainly?

thanks
    koppan

Reboots and reformats are the most common.

Here's a question:

First server we've sent to a certain data center in London. Server was shipped form the US. They say the box is dead (despite a lengthy burn-in here in the states). Is there an obvious thing that might be happening - like the wrong power voltage being used (London and US use different power specs?), etc?

Quote Originally Posted by abbynormal1
    Here's a question:

First server we've sent to a certain data center in London. Server was shipped form the US. They say the box is dead (despite a lengthy burn-in here in the states). Is there an obvious thing that might be happening - like the wrong power voltage being used (London and US use different power specs?), etc?
    It would be the 240V/120V issue though you would hope the power supply would be auto-sensing. The biggest thing might be its been damaged in transit. Have they tried things like reseating the RAM/CPU and PSU at all?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Also have them test the Power Supply. Power supply testers aren't very expensive, and are a very good quick tool that can help greatly in diagnosing server/regular desktop problems.

Alex

Do datacenter staffs receive lots issues regarding kernel panic? What is the command solution for it? replacing RAM?

We see quite a few people with kernel panics, mostly because customer try to upgrade the kernel and it does not go right on reboot, we just hook up the KVM over IP and they are back in biz, bad RAM is has been an issue at times also, but usually people test it before hand.

I have to agree with most issues are reboots, startup issues, bad drives, and power supplies. Its also a good idea to make a run through the servers and check for bad fans in the power supplies, if you dont catch that you can bet your power supply will be going soon, also CPU fans wires can get tangled in them and cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by koppan
    Do datacenter staffs receive lots issues regarding kernel panic? What is the command solution for it? replacing RAM?
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

Quote Originally Posted by abbynormal1
    Is there an obvious thing that might be happening - like the wrong power voltage being used (London and US use different power specs?), etc?
    Yep, it'll be that then. You've possibly fried the motherboard if you're unlucky, though I imagine whether damage has been done depends on the quality of the PSU. You did switch the little slider that puts it to the right voltage for the UK before sending it didn't you?

Once I worked for a company, and we received a PowerPC machine from the US back when it was new - this was 1 of only 6 in the world. My colleague was told not to touch it until monday, so .. monday we come in and find that it refused to turn on. Yes, he couldn't resist, had plugged it in and had fried it.

I think your best bet is to call the DC and pay for some remote hands to diagnose the problem. If you're lucky a component could have come loose in transit (and it'll just take a push or replug a cable back in).
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.