Lightbulb need help choosing a dedicated server

I have a website officialpimpspace.com which is a myspace resoure website. Its currently running on a shared host with godaddy. But im planning on going dedicated soon. I kno it doesnt recieve lot of traffic right now but i just released if few weeks ago and its already 1500uniques per day and I have ways to get high traffic. Plus I have some good scripts that I want to use on it but im afraid that my servers wont take that much load if it starts getting too many requests so before I run into any problems I want to switch to dedicated servers.

I dont know much about servers so I need help choosing a good host and server.

I need a server that can stand upto 50000-75000 uniques per day. My website has lot of graphics, and runs fully on database so i need a server that can handle lot of mysql requests per sec. I have some scripts that myspace users run on their profile like profile counters and other stuff which will connect to my mysql. So i need a server that can stand upto high traffic.

Im looking for dedicated that cost $100-$200 but i would rather have it under $150 but if i have to I can go upto $200. So plzz leave any feedbac and let me know wut would be best. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deep034

I need a server that can stand upto 50000-75000 uniques per day. My website has lot of graphics, and runs fully on database so i need a server that can handle lot of mysql requests per sec.
    My advice is pick a reputable well established host unless someone can offer you seriously personalized service or has some special thing that you want.

I also don't advise using MySQL for a webcounter, been there - bad news.
    If you gotta stick with it, you probably should get a dedicated database server.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

With 50000-75000 uniques per day,you may want Dual Core base 2G+ RAM server,100Mbps port. with $200/mo budget,you can find many provider at offer forums.

I have a website officialpimpspace.com which is a myspace resoure website. Its currently running on a shared host with godaddy. But im planning on going dedicated soon. I kno it doesnt recieve lot of traffic right now but i just released if few weeks ago and its already 1500uniques per day and I have ways to get high traffic. Plus I have some good scripts that I want to use on it but im afraid that my servers wont take that much load if it starts getting too many requests so before I run into any problems I want to switch to dedicated servers.

I need a server that can stand upto 50000-75000 uniques per day. My website has lot of graphics, and runs fully on database so i need a server that can handle lot of mysql requests per sec. I have some scripts that myspace users run on their profile like profile counters and other stuff which will connect to my mysql. So i need a server that can stand upto high traffic.

Im looking for dedicated that cost $100-$200 but i would rather have it under $150 but if i have to I can go upto $200. So plzz leave any feedbac and let me know wut would be best. Thanks
    Talk to Andy at http://www.thenynoc.com

They can set you up with something nice, and even help you scale to a cluster later on if your traffic warrants it.

I'd recommend a dual core AMD since this is a rather DB intense site. Actually, one of the new AMD Athalon x2 3400 (Socket AM2)'s would do you quite nicely with 2 or 4 GB in it.

Sounds like you could get by on twin 80 GB SATA drives (or 120's if you need it) , most of the newer dual core boards will have RAID 0/1/5 on board.

Ideally you get 2, or virtualize a larger one so your SQL server remains completely isolated from your web server. You'll get better performance and availability and its easier to slide into the "cluster" realm later.

Hope this is of some help to you

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by appliedops
    My advice is pick a reputable well established host unless someone can offer you seriously personalized service or has some special thing that you want.

I also don't advise using MySQL for a webcounter, been there - bad news.
    If you gotta stick with it, you probably should get a dedicated database server.
    the counter was just an example but i currently i have a shout box that users can put anywhere on the internet but mostly users use it on their profile. the shout lets their visitors shout/comment them and all the data is stored and read from mysql.
    and also i get lot of errors from my mysql sayin, Lost connection to MYSQL and have some tables in the database that sometimes get over 40KB overhead in just one day so i optimize tables everyday. im hoping this happen b/c my servers are slow and cant keep up with all the users resuests.

i have also have a flash slideshow script that runs on mysql which grabs each users images in a album and puts it into a xml using php. this is done everytime a slideshow is run so if lot of users start using it then my current server will just die.

so i need something fast and that can handle mysql databases well. for now im just thinkin of getting a little cheaper around $100-200 but later on as my traffic grows and start getting more revenue the i'll upgrade as I go along.

thanks for all the replies, if anyone else has any more info or good advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Talk to Andy

They can set you up with something nice, and even help you scale to a cluster later on if your traffic warrants it.

-Tim

Im have contacted them and waiting for them to respond, do you know andy's AIM or anything.

Talk to Andy

-Tim

Im have contacted them and waiting for them to respond, do you know andy's AIM or anything.
    Just email sales[at]thenynoc[dot]com .. they're pretty responsive Did you try the live chat on the site?

Best,
    -Tim

Just email salesthenynoccom .. they're pretty responsive Did you try the live chat on the site?

Best,
    -Tim

i'll try the live chat!

is theplanet[dot]com any good?

is theplanet[dot]com any good?
    They weren't 2 years ago when I left them. However, since then they have been purchased by someone else, I'm not sure how much the support dept has improved.

I try to stick with smaller companies like nynoc because I find I get more personal service and better response. Big hosts do well at big data centers, I think us [smaller] guys do better with the smaller DC's. The quality of the network is the same.. but TP is a bit more expensive and you may find yourself lost in a huge company.

I'd go with Andy.

Best,
    -Tim

well i posted it on their forum and should get some help soon.

as i getting help i asked some of webmasters that already own dedicated and heres what they have:

-P4 3GHz, 2 gig ram
    or
    -dual xeon 2.4ghz, dual 120gig hds and 2gig ram

i kno obviously the second one is better.

k well i kinda know what im looking for but got few questions?
    i know somebody mention about getting two servers, one should be used as a web server and the other for mysqldatabase since my whole is fully run on database and lot of grahics. so can someone shed some more light on how this can be done? and im going to run linux OS.

well i posted it on their forum and should get some help soon.

as i getting help i asked some of webmasters that already own dedicated and heres what they have:

-P4 3GHz, 2 gig ram
    or
    -dual xeon 2.4ghz, dual 120gig hds and 2gig ram

i kno obviously the second one is better.

k well i kinda know what im looking for but got few questions?
    i know somebody mention about getting two servers, one should be used as a web server and the other for mysqldatabase since my whole is fully run on database and lot of grahics. so can someone shed some more light on how this can be done? and im going to run linux OS.
    This is very easy, your scripts simply connect to the SQL server running on the other machine. You can put a second nic in both (gig-e) and a crossover cable between them to facilitate this over private gigabit bandwidth.

So instead of connecting to 'localhost' for the DB, your scripts connect to '192.168.x.x'.

Alternetively, you can setup a remote SQL host in WHM/Cpanel (and every other control panel software that I know of).

All you need to do is install MySQL on the second box. Or, have them virtualize one box with a bit more ram in it, and run 2 servers in one. Xen makes this easy.

Hope this helps,
    -Tim

thanks i'll talk to andy about it and see what can he do for me!

so should i buy two different servers, or get a dual one and run mysql on one and web graphics and other stuff on the other.

im a newbie when it comes to servers so explain a little more please, like what kind of plan can make it happen!

thnx guyz for everything.
    i talked with andy and now i know wut i want.
    really appreciate it!