Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone.Net

Zone.Net

I've seen a few posts here reguarding there services, and since then I've researched for many hours. I am considering there Enterprise VPS to start out, and suggestions?

This does not belong in this forum.. This belongs in the VPS forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alex
    This belongs in the VPS forum.
    Moved to VPS Forum.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

I've been with them for a while now, no problems, and they give away disk space like its going out of style.

Support tickets take about 3 hours normally, which is very good from my experience.

I just signed up with them yesterday and so far so good. Seems like a strong VPS.

* Great!

I've talked to them many times and they've always been professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. I've been in sales all my life, so naturally I was feeling them out. They passed the test and I'll be signing up next month. Thanks again for your comments..

I have zone.net enterprise VPS, got it about a week ago. I think if you get support ticket in a 3 hours -you lucky. My first ticket took over 24 hours and they got on it only after I wrote a follow-up on first ticket. Right now still waiting for my second ticket which already over 4 hours and it’s marked “URGENT”!!! I am getting really disappointed with this kind of support, although they said on their Web site that you have to wait 24-48 hours, I thought it’s just as remark, but it’s for real. I need a lot of patience not to cancel my account one day.

For comparison, I have ServInt Essential VPS, signed up about 2 weeks ago. I love their support. They answered my first and second tickets in under 10min! With a lot of help and useful information. If only they would offer choice of OS, because I need Fedora core, and they don’t offer it. So I got zone.net account, they can install anything you want, but only support…

Speaking about performance, ServInt is much faster loading Plesk and Virtuozzo, almost twice faster then Zone.net. I can’t tell about web pages because it’s not up yet.
    Last edited by FX_; 11-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FX_
    I have zone.net enterprise VPS, got it about a week ago. I think if you get support ticket in a 3 hours -you lucky. My first ticket took over 24 hours and they got on it only after I wrote a follow-up on first ticket. Right now still waiting for my second ticket which already over 4 hours and it’s marked “URGENT”!!! I am getting really disappointed with this kind of support, although they said on their Web site that you have to wait 24-48 hours, I thought it’s just as remark, but it’s for real. I need a lot of patience not to cancel my account one day.

For comparison, I have ServInt Essential VPS. I love their support. They answered my first and second tickets in under 10min! With a lot of help and useful information. If only they would offer choice of OS, because I need Fedora core, and they don’t offer it, so I got zone.net account, they can install anything you want, but only support…

Speaking about performance, ServInt is much faster loading Plesk and Virtuozzo, almost twice faster then Zone.net. I can’t tell about web pages because it’s not up yet.
    You will get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by IllustriousCube
    I've been with them for a while now, no problems, and they give away disk space like its going out of style.

Support tickets take about 3 hours normally, which is very good from my experience.
    What domain/s do you have hosted with them?

Sorry, what do you mean really?

From my experience with my current host, normal is 10 ~ 30 minutes.
    I saw one time a response in about 30 seconds:
    Posted On: 22 Nov 2006 11:06 AM
    Hello,

I'm seeing this error when I try to access vzpp:

"Application Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration.
    Contact your Hosting Provider
    Please report this problem to the technical support."

So I'm reporting like its asking

Regards,
    Rui

Vik
    Posted On: 22 Nov 2006 11:07 AM
    Hello Rui,

Can you give us your root password to look into this?
    Thank you,

Vik
    Regards,
    Rui

Not acceptable no way would I wait 3hrs for a support ticket.

Wow, it seems like I'm the life of the party (or this thread at least). I'll answer everyone individually.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    What domain/s do you have hosted with them?
    http://consoletilt.com | http://anatomyofacookie.com
    (they're works in progress.. please don't make fun of them yet :-p.)

Quote Originally Posted by RMSSF
    Sorry, what do you mean really?

Regards,
    Rui
    I meant that I talked to them and complained that I thought the disk space was a little low (this was before they upped the amounts). They gave me 5GB free, just for asking. I told my friend to do the same, he got 5GB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceJunkie
    Not acceptable no way would I wait 3hrs for a support ticket.
    Maybe I was a little too vague on my support ticket comment. Before signing up I asked them a few questions, just to see how fast they would respond, but I never opened a ticket. I figured the best way would be to use livechat, which has been on every time I checked. The representative, named Sam W., was very informative and helpful. I spoke with them since and they said that they do shut down livechat for a few hours late at night, but they still answer phones and have SAs on staff throughout the night.

Anyways, the 3 hour "support ticket" was to reinstall the OS from SuSE to FC4 with Plesk. They even migrated my Plesk info over as well. I'm not sure how long this normally takes, but I thought 3 hours was good. Maybe I'm just used to the shared hosting I've had for the past 3 years where it takes days to get a response on a ticket.

Well, after a lengthy battle with zone.net’s windows VPS, Sean and crew decided today that they simply were not going to offer the service anymore. Fully understandable, it seems Virtuozzo for Windows just isn’t ready for prime time yet.

While I was a tad disappointed in this, Sean made major effort to make sure we had a plan that worked for us. We started work around 5pm trying to work out a deal for dedicated, which wasn’t mutually agreeable at the time of our chat, so he then gave us a very substantial deal on their reseller service while we try to get an agreeable situation for all of us. He then stayed with me deep into the night so that we got all the data moved off the old box and onto the new one before we called it a night.

Overall, we ended up double the space and all the bandwidth we need again, just no remote desktop. Sean saw to it that the components we had installed on the VPS got moved over to the reseller box and even willingly let me send him a batch file to run our nightly AWStats on the box. This is about as good as its going to get, and we’re more than pleased with the final outcome.

During all this time, Sean has refused to let me pay for the service, which Im truly grateful for. Sean and I had a nice discussion today while we were waiting for files to transfer, and if you ever get a chance to chat with him, he’s a very good person to work with and an even better person to chat with.

Overall, support level from zone is probably far better than the average. It’s a shame that the software is such a POS. That’s not their fault, and I’m certainly not going to blame them for that. They did all they could, and apparently Vz’s support is pretty lame for Windows. And like Sean said, you can only hard boot a windows box so many times before it craps all over itself, which it did, more than once.

Lesson here … stick with reseller until you’re ready for a dedicated box if you plan on using Windows. I played around with Virtual Server on our test bed, and even with a dual core Pentium d and 4 gig of RAM, it was no match for multiple virtual servers. This simply may not ever be possible on Windows and certainly not with any software package available on the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by Songcast Net
    Well, after a lengthy battle with zone.net’s windows VPS, Sean and crew decided today that they simply were not going to offer the service anymore. Fully understandable, it seems Virtuozzo for Windows just isn’t ready for prime time yet.

While I was a tad disappointed in this, Sean made major effort to make sure we had a plan that worked for us. We started work around 5pm trying to work out a deal for dedicated, which wasn’t mutually agreeable at the time of our chat, so he then gave us a very substantial deal on their reseller service while we try to get an agreeable situation for all of us. He then stayed with me deep into the night so that we got all the data moved off the old box and onto the new one before we called it a night.

Overall, we ended up double the space and all the bandwidth we need again, just no remote desktop. Sean saw to it that the components we had installed on the VPS got moved over to the reseller box and even willingly let me send him a batch file to run our nightly AWStats on the box. This is about as good as its going to get, and we’re more than pleased with the final outcome.

During all this time, Sean has refused to let me pay for the service, which Im truly grateful for. Sean and I had a nice discussion today while we were waiting for files to transfer, and if you ever get a chance to chat with him, he’s a very good person to work with and an even better person to chat with.

Overall, support level from zone is probably far better than the average. It’s a shame that the software is such a POS. That’s not their fault, and I’m certainly not going to blame them for that. They did all they could, and apparently Vz’s support is pretty lame for Windows. And like Sean said, you can only hard boot a windows box so many times before it craps all over itself, which it did, more than once.

Lesson here … stick with reseller until you’re ready for a dedicated box if you plan on using Windows. I played around with Virtual Server on our test bed, and even with a dual core Pentium d and 4 gig of RAM, it was no match for multiple virtual servers. This simply may not ever be possible on Windows and certainly not with any software package available on the market today.
    Ditto on the positive feedback for Sean Koons, Zone.net's main guy. I ordered a Production Level VPS and through a support phone call met Sean. He has been a pleasure to work with and an excellent support rep.

Really, I cant say enough. My VPS has had its share of problems but Sean helped me through all of them and even cut a deal to better manage the amount of traffic my VPS was receiving.

From my experience, its very rare to correspond with people as knowledgeable and who can get things done as well as Sean.

Hes a honest host manager who really cares about his customers. Enough said.

Honestly I think Windows VPS hosting for full production is a joke (a bad one, because there are actually those that notice that too late, after loosing money and time).
    One box just cant have as much hosted VPS's for production as it can with linux, so you can just get very big price for a minimum decent server that can do something not much heavy for sometime without big problem or crash.

Rui

Honestly I think Windows VPS hosting for full production is a joke (a bad one, because there are actually those that notice that too late, after loosing money and time).
    One box just cant have as much hosted VPS's for production as it can with linux, so you can just get very big price for a minimum decent server that can do something not much heavy for sometime without big problem or crash.

Rui
    Its not perforamce of the server when its going that the main problem ... the software itself is just far too buggy and far to unsupported to be worth anything. When its up, it works fine, but therein lies the problem. Its very hard to maintain any sort of resemblance to 99% uptime when you're rebuilding an OS every other week because Virtuosso killed it.

Yes that's what I am talking about! As a follow up to my first post; zone.net response time for my second ticket was exactly 6hr. 23min. and it was marked as URGENT! That was a simple issue but not to my knowledge, I needed only a little direction. Now I lost a whole day waiting for response, as some other people who was installing software on my server. Now I am afraid what if I had 24/7 business running where 30 min downtime could be a disaster!?
    I also tried their Live support when I was waiting over 10hr. for my support ticket. They didn't want to look into problem and said I have to open a ticket, I said I did it a day ago, they said I have to wait 24-48 hours! When i finally got reply, here what they said:

"I apologize for the delay, we normally do require 24-48 hours before completeing a SysAdmin task, since installation of a program/module is not really tech support.

So please, in the future, just submit your requests a bit in advance, so we can take care of them in a timely fashion."

I don't know how to understand that I should predict that I going to have a problem or request in the future and contact them for support???

Well, Sean already contacted me and said he will take a look into this matter.

I don't know about you guys, but if something happens to my server, i'm on the phone that second, and not filling out a form on a website. Either livechat and phones... those are the ways to go.

i agree email and livechat are great.

First problem though, my VPS (and a lot of others) have been done for 6hours now. Just talked to jeff he expects it to take another 35minutes, a bad switch at the planet or something. My old shared hosting was at the planet and it had 5 min of downtime in the past 6mo. I'm not sure I'm impressed anymore.

Up until this point its been great though.

Sean just called me. Its just one node that is down. Its nice that he called me. Told me how to fill out the SLA form as well to get time refunded.

Just a final followup. Server came back up when Sean said it would. I've submitted my SLA grievence.

Yeah, he called me too. I was up late last night and noticed it suddenly went down. I went to be thinking that whatever it was it will be back up in the morning. Got up and it was still down so I called in. And while I was talking to tech support Sean called me and explained it. I guess a lot of us are all on the same box.

Fortunately for me I'm using it as one of three servers for processing email and my system works fine with that server down. Just two weeks ago I have the same thing happen to me where the data center blew their main Juniper router and I was down for 14 hours. So buying the virtual server was part of the solution to have deverse located backup servers should any one data center go down.

I suspect that whatever happened that it got fixed faster than if I had a dedicated server. That's what I like about VPS is that keeping things up is a higher priority that if I have my own dedicated box.

So - I'm still happy.

i'm getting more unhappy, down again and they didn't appear to know till I called them.

Hmmmm .... you're right. I'm down again too. Wonder what the real story is? Not good.

BTW, my IPs are 74.52.169.24,25

We brought the node that you are on down for hardware diagnostics, because it's spitting out alot of memory errors, and a lock-up was inevitable so to prevent it we're doing proactive maintenace.

-Sean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast