Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39

    Leaving HostGator - what a joke :(

    Yesterday I attamped to cancel my HostGator reseller account.

    Note that I am fully paid up until the 28th Dec 2006 & have no contract & am not asking for any rebate - just a straight out cancelation of their shoddy service.

    Well what a joke.

    Despite the fact that I emailed sales & billing I was first told that I had to do it "online" at:
    http://www.hostgator.com/cancel.php
    which I did. As you will notice you need to authenticate who you are in that URL login.

    Well seven emails later & the incompetent staff at HostGator still cannot get the job done.

    In fact, after me advising HostGator that I would take any further attempt to charge my credit card (Mastercard) as fraud, they advised me they couldn't cancel the service because I was wrong & the card was in fact a Mastercard - you work that out:

    Me:

    I have also notified MasterCard of the above along with the fact that any attempt on the part of HostGator to charge that card is to be treated fraudulently.
    Them:

    Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard.
    Next they want the last four - not three like normal - security numbers from the back of the card - which was correctly supplied yesterday.

    Now they reckon that number is not correct as they have it on file.

    Never mind that this is the card I signed up with & that they have billed monthly for the last couple of years.

    They have my correct email address, account name, domain name, my name, the name on the credit card, my authentication to their "online" cancellation page, & the last four digits & name of the Mastercard.

    How hard can it be to cancel a service that was ordered in the same name & same email address as the person cancelling it?

    HostGator downtime on their Acura server has been terrible over the last few months, their customer service appaulling, their "live chat" completely unknowledgeable, & now you cannot even get to leave.

    To anyone considering HostGator - DON"T!

    Two of my emails have even been sent straight to Brent as his staff seem unable to carry out a single task efficently at all.

    Will keep you posted.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Hopefully this gets worked out for you. What was your reason for canceling if I may ask?
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I am sorry to hear the issues you are having or had with HostGator. In general I have found them to be pretty efficient on all matters, even when I canceled my account with them. (canceled for personal reasons, not due to their service)

    If stated is true - there has obviously been some major miscommunication but it is very unprofessional none the less to come on a forum and call a service a joke and the staff incompetent as I am sure this it not the case or they wouldn't be where they currently are today.

    Have you tried calling them?

    ps - to verify your identity when canceling your service is not only highly recommended but is general practice amongst most providers.

      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with them, indeed, that's something new to me, because I usually read only good things about them.

    The best of lucks with your new host!
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkSpace
    Hopefully this gets worked out for you. What was your reason for canceling if I may ask?
    I think that this.

    HostGator downtime on their Acura server has been terrible over the last few months, their customer service appaulling, their "live chat" completely unknowledgeable, & now you cannot even get to leave.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkSpace
    Hopefully this gets worked out for you. What was your reason for canceling if I may ask?
    Predominately the downtime that they have had with their Acura server over the last three months. Their RAID array completely dying & losing all accounts also showed their failure at reduncancy.

    I am also unhappy that all emails to support about downtime or server offline is treated as "low priority" - this is confirmed whem you view your ticket through their support login.

    Also their "Live Chat" support are hopeless in resolving anything.

    I should also point out that HostGator are obviously very bad at security (except when it comes to leaving) as yesterday I deleted all my & my customers files from the Acura server.

    So either I am who I say I am & therefore have the authority to cancel the account - or their server security stinks

    All former hosted domains at HostGator have been online running on Australian servers since the middle of last week.

    SO LET ME GO HOSTGATOR & CANCEL THE ACCOUNT!!!
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    I think there is some misunderstanding between you and them. It's a good thing that they want to verify your account cancellation before terminating your service, that's a standard procedure with almost all web hosting companies.

    Next they want the last four - not three like normal - security numbers from the back of the card - which was correctly supplied yesterday.
    I do not think they want the 3 digit security code in the back but the last 4 digits of your master card. Which sounds normal, it should be the last 4 digits, not the 3 digit security code.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Think-eDesign

    Me:
    I have also notified MasterCard of the above along with the fact that any attempt on the part of HostGator to charge that card is to be treated fraudulently.

    Them:
    Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard.

    ^^ You serious? Are they that bad? Did you actually tell them that you are using mastercard as CC and they tell you its incorrect and say that you are using mastercard.

    Funny stuff.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I am also unhappy that all emails to support about downtime or server offline is treated as "low priority" - this is confirmed whem you view your ticket through their support login.
    The ticket is set as "low priority" if you open it by sending an email, at least based on my experience. When I had something of urgency I opened the ticket via the helpdesk and set the level of priority I felt was appropriate.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    ^^ You serious? Are they that bad? Did you actually tell them that you are using mastercard as CC and they tell you its incorrect and say that you are using mastercard.

    Funny stuff.
    Yep I am completely serious. I have that original email & the guy from HG even has his name on it.

    Yes they are that incompetent.

    Fancy telling someone you have a Mastercard.

    Then they turn around & tell you that you are wrong - & that you actually have a Mastercard.

    Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    I think there is some misunderstanding between you and them. It's a good thing that they want to verify your account cancellation before terminating your service, that's a standard procedure with almost all web hosting companies.
    Well seven emails saying "cancel this account", & an "online" cancelation requiring login authentication would be pretty obvious to most people.


    I do not think they want the 3 digit security code in the back but the last 4 digits of your master card. Which sounds normal, it should be the last 4 digits, not the 3 digit security code.
    Perhaps that is what they wanted.

    Still it was a long drawn out process & they had plenty of other verification as I said including:
    emails from the account used to sign up,
    my name,
    my reseller domain name,
    my login authentification for their "online" cancellation,
    the fact it was a Mastercard,
    the name the Mastercard is in,
    the fact that I had deleted all files from the server,
    my replying to their "ticket number"

    Anyway I was going quitely however in the end I decided enough was enough & now after sending the URL of this thread in my last email this morning - GREAT NEWS - surprise, surprise - I received an account closed email.

    Well done HG - don't let anyone accuse you guys of being slow or pig-headed - that would be a compliment.

    We have cancelled your account. If you were paying with a credit card, your account will no longer be billed.
    8.37am
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Thats what I always prefer Paypal over Credit Card, gives you a lot more control and your the one who stops any recurring billing, not the company your paying it to.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    Here's the facts for everyone that wants to know.........



    He filled out the cancellation form with an incorrect pw. It is our policy not cancel accounts without verfication so we proceeded to ask for the last 4 digits of his credit card on file, and what was provided was also incorrect. At 5:37pm today he updated us for the first time with the correct last 4 digits of the cc on file so the account is now cancelled.


    Here's how the ticket went....


    Posted on 04 Dec 2006 12:12 AM cancellation ticket received with incorrect info.

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 02:13 AM
    For security purposes, could you please provide the last four digits of the credit card on file"

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 03:58 AM
    I am not interested.

    Cancel this account immediately as you have been instructed!!!!

    I am also reporting you to the Australian Office of Fair Trading for
    your failure to do so."

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 04:06 AM
    Hello,

    Sir to cancel this account I'm going to need the last 4 digits of your credit card.

    If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know.

    Thank You,

    Carl"

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 04:06 AM
    Typical of the incompetence I have come to expect from HostGator.

    What sort of fraudulent activities are you trying to pull?

    It is only ever the last three digits that are used for security purposes.

    I have now registered a complaint with the Australian Office of Fair
    Trading about your unscrupulous methods.

    You have had 3 emails & one HostGator online cancellation notice so far
    - how many more do you think you need?

    The last three digits are: *** This is where the 3 digits provided didn't match anything on file...

    Now if this is not canceled immediately & without any further attempts
    by HostGator to charge this credit card we will proceed with notifying
    the relevant American statutory authorities - not to mention posting on
    both Whirlpool & WebHostingTalk all about your shoddy accounting practices."

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 04:10 AM
    Well here it is now do it.

    **** another 4 digits provided that did not match anything on file...

    Now get it done!

    And just try and debit that card & see how much world of trouble you
    bring down on HostGator.

    Every email has been recorded and your failure to carry out cancellation
    as per my instructions in nothing but infuriating.
    "


    "04 Dec 2006 04:12 AM
    Hello,

    Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard. The reason that we need this information is to verify your Identity further insults will not help this.

    If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know.

    Thank You,

    Carl"

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 03:04 PM
    Carl, just how dumb are you?

    What part of my original email of which I now quote:

    > *I hereby cancel any and all authority for HostGator to debit the
    > credit carded attached to this account from this moment on.*
    >
    > I have also notified *MasterCard*

    do you not understand?

    How dare you say I was incorrect, & then have the stupidity to say "the
    correct card is Mastercard"?

    Not only can't you read but you show the complete lack of competence
    that typifies HostGator's service.

    I myself had already told you it is Mastercard in my first email! What
    gross incompetence you show in your work.

    *Now as you do have the correct last four security numbers as provided
    by me in the last email - cancel this account immediately.*

    It is gross negligence & pettiness on the part of HostGator that after a
    total of 6 emails & your own "online" cancellation that you pack of
    incompetents cannot still do your job.

    I was going quietly, but now if you do not cancel this account
    immediately, cease billing my Mastercard, & stop playing stupid games I
    will be posting your silly pettiness on ************* & Whirlpool today.

    I am sure everybody else then reading will understand that since the
    email address is the same as the one on your files, ditto me as the
    account holder, and ditto the fact that obviously I passed security to
    cancel online at your own site - I am the lawful account holder & that
    you guys are just playing idiotic games.

    HostGator do not control those forums & word of your silly game playing
    will quickly spread & I will be using direct quotes to show your gross
    incompetence in not dealing with this immediately as first requested -
    especially after emailing me to do it "online" which I did after passing
    login security.

    (Quotes like "Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a
    Mastercard." - when I myself had told you that in my very first email)

    I will give you no final warning before taking this all relevant bodies.
    "

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 04:02 PM
    Peter, we're trying to cancel this account for you but need confirmation is all. The last 4 digits you provided are not what we have on file. Can you try verifying the correct digits on file so I can cancel this for you? Thanks!

    Regards, Tim"

    We finally got this response....

    "Posted on 04 Dec 2006 04:50 PM
    Well you are a pack of incompetents.

    You manage to charge the card okay every month.

    You even have on file that the card is in the name of **

    And for your gross incompetence I will once again tell you that every
    web site in the world only asks for the last three security code digits.

    But once again, just for you, the security numbers are split on
    Mastercard into two groups - the first has four digits the second has three: **** ***"

    This is where he provided the correct digits and his account was cancelled within minutes.


    We asked for 4 digits you provided 3. We would have probably taken the three accept for the fact it didn't match anything on file. I'm thinking you might of been providing the 3 digit security number on the back of your card, but since this is illegal for anyone to store we don't have this on file, and which is why we asked for the last 4 digits of your credit card not the 3 digit security on the back of your card.

    If you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you please email me and I will be happy to respond to you. I wish you the best of luck with your new host, and wish things would have worked out better our two companies.
    "
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    4,448
    I can assure everyone that HostGator (as well as myself personally) is very proud of our reputation and would never intentionally blemish them especially with a practice such as trying to "fraudulently" prevent clients from canceling their accounts.

    We hate to lose a customer on bad terms, but we definitely wouldn't prevent this client from canceling.

    Anyhow, hopefully since the facts are out, all misunderstandings can be cleared.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    Well, I didn't count but the word incompetence was probably used over a 100 times. Sorry Think-eDesign, I am on HostGator's side on this one. They did the right thing. You just didn't have any patience. Your account is due Dec 28th, what's the rush? Calm down buddy.

    They specifically asked for the last 4 digits of the credit card. NOTHING about security numbers on the back side of the card. And calling people stupid or dumb won't help the situation either.

    Anyhow, good luck with your next host. Actually, good luck TO YOUR next host as well.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    Here's the facts for everyone that wants to know.........



    He filled out the cancellation form with an incorrect pw. It is our policy not cancel accounts without verfication so we proceeded to ask for the last 4 digits of his credit card on file, and what was provided was also incorrect. At 5:37pm today he updated us for the first time with the correct last 4 digits of the cc on file so the account is now cancelled."
    And that is a complete fabrication. I will post HG's email shortly as soon as I return to base.

    However just one lie I can point out straight away is that the only difference between any other email from me & the one quoted above is I gave the whole series of security numbers on the back of my Mastercard instead of the last four as requested.

    Never not once did I send HG any numbers from the front of the card - only ever the last four numbers of the series of security numbers & they matched exactly with what I had previously sent.

    So HostGator you are not only incompetent, but liars as well

    Since HG posted their email from me I shall post theirs in a while when I get back to my own PC.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    1,528
    I love all threads "HOSTGATOR sucks" type!! In the end, it is proved that is customer's fault!

    Gator rocks!
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    I know who is dumb ... certainly not HostGator ...

    Some people can really be a pain ... What a big pain you are! I am sure HostGator is glad you are no longer their customer. For your next host, good luck with them.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Internet / Colorado
    Posts
    1,652
    No kidding, count your blessings that stood up for themselves, I've had hosts that canceled my hosting cause someone emailed them to cancel and they didn't bother to check. Now that is a disaster...
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Think-eDesign
    Since HG posted their email from me I shall post theirs in a while when I get back to my own PC.
    Cool man i wait to see how this thread goes , please post screenshots too , makes it more reliable.

    /me waits eagerly to see who is wrong.

    And to guys saying that its not hostgators fault and its the dudes fault i would suggest not to jump to conclusions until the dude actually posts his side of story with some reliable proof. Than you can bash him(if needed i will provide my baseball bat too)all you want if he is guilty .
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    1,463
    I was a proud customer of HostGator for several months and never had any issues. I probably didnt have issues with their staff because I talked like an adult with them instead of blowing up on them right away. I would rather have them more secure than too loose. Canceling my account (because I bought my own server) took me no more than 5 minutes, I also was using a Mastercard.

    I have now registered a complaint with the Australian Office of Fair
    Trading about your unscrupulous methods.
    I have also notified *MasterCard*
    lol. I always enjoy reading threats like that which arise from absolutely nothing. I am willing to bet that both of those didnt happen It reminds me of 12 year old kids who start their own hosting company and begin throwing threats over a late .99/month payment.
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    I start off very direct but nicely in my first email 4th Dec 2006 1:45pm:

    Monday, 4th December 2006

    To Whoever is in charge of accounts,

    I am writing this to officially notify HostGator that your services are no longer required.

    I am paid up until the 28/12/2006 and have the statements printed off to prove it.

    I hereby cancel any and all authority for HostGator to debit the credit carded attached to this account from this moment on.

    I have also notified MasterCard of the above along with the fact that any attempt on the part of HostGator to charge that card is to be treated fraudulently.

    my name
    Think-eDesign
    ex-HostGator Aluminum Plan
    HG’s response:

    Sales,Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times. Ticket ID: LKH-909636 Subject: Re: Cancellation of Service Department: Sales Status: Open
    Then from HG:
    Hello, To cancel your account please fill out http://www.hostgator.com/cancel.php You will receive an email back stating you were cancelled at such time. If you don't get this email back within 24 hours, we didn't receive your cancellation request and you will be held responsible for any charges as a result. Thank you for contacting the HostGator Sales Department! Jay WeissmanSales TeamForum Administrator4th Dec 1:33pm
    So I did do it “online” as well & received:
    Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times. Ticket ID: RUM-587882 Subject: >>>>>>>>> CANCELLATION <<<<<<<< Department: Sales Status: Open
    I told them that I had done so:
    This has now been done. However by law it does not negate what I wrote personally in my first email today regarding HostGator having ceased to have any authority to debit the account's attached MasterCard



    regards, sent. 4th Dec 3:15pm
    Their response:
    Great, we will reply to the cancellation shortly! Thank you for contacting the HostGator Sales Department! Jay WeissmanSales Team
    I mean to say by now it should be obvious to a blind person I wish to cancel the account. As I said before at this stage they have, (unless they are completely useless), my name,

    my reseller domain name,

    my login authentication for their "online" cancellation,

    the fact it was a Mastercard,

    the name the Mastercard is in,

    the fact that I had deleted all files from the server,

    my replying to their "ticket number" I then get from HG:
    Hello Peter, I see you are on the Acura server We did have some downtime this month on it. I can give you a month of credit if you wish If not please reply to this ticket that you wish to cancel. **IMPORTANT: Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email. Thanks.Sincerely,Lance CustenCustomer Service Manager
    One would think from “Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email.” That finally my account would be cancelled, by oh no:
    For security purposes, could you please provide the last four digits of the credit card on file or your last PayPal transaction ID? **IMPORTANT: Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    My reply:
    I am not interested.



    Cancel this account immediately as you have been instructed!!!!



    I am also reporting you to the Australian Office of Fair Trading for your failure to do so.
    Their reply:
    Hello, Sir to cancel this account I'm going to need the last 4 digits of your credit card. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    Here is where I misunderstood – but understand they already have plenty of verification namely:my name,

    my reseller domain name,

    my login authentication for their "online" cancellation,

    the fact it was a Mastercard,

    the name the Mastercard is in,

    the fact that I had deleted all files from the server,

    my replying to their "ticket number" My response:
    Typical of the incompetence I have come to expect from HostGator.


    What sort of fraudulent activities are you trying to pull?


    It is only ever the last three digits that are used for security purposes.


    I have now registered a complaint with the Australian Office of Fair Trading about your unscrupulous methods.



    You have had 3 emails & one HostGator online cancellation notice so far - how many more do you think you need?


    The last three digits are: 296


    Now if this is not cancelled immediately & without any further attempts by HostGator to charge this credit card we will proceed with notifying the relevant American statutory authorities - not to mention posting on both Whirlpool & WebHostingTalk all about your shoddy accounting practices.
    All I want to do is leave & make sure that the HG billing dept is not as incompetent as the rest of HG. I replied:
    Well here it is now do it.


    1296


    Now get it done!


    And just try and debit that card & see how much world of trouble you bring down on HostGator.


    Every email has been recorded and your failure to carry out cancellation as per my instructions in nothing but infuriating.
    Here is where clever Carl tells me I have a Mastercard 4th Dec 7:12pm:
    Hello, Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard. The reason that we need this information is to verify your Identity further insults will not help this. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    My reply:
    Carl, just how dumb are you?

    What part of my original email of which I now quote:


    I hereby cancel any and all authority for HostGator to debit the credit carded attached to this account from this moment on.

    I have also notified MasterCard

    do you not understand?

    How dare you say I was incorrect, & then have the stupidity to say "the correct card is Mastercard"?

    Not only can't you read but you show the complete lack of competence that typifies HostGator's service.

    I myself had already told you it is Mastercard in my first email! What gross incompetence you show in your work.

    Now as you do have the correct last four security numbers as provided by me in the last email - cancel this account immediately.

    It is gross negligence & pettiness on the part of HostGator that after a total of 6 emails & your own "online" cancellation that you pack of incompetents cannot still do your job.

    I was going quietly, but now if you do not cancel this account immediately, cease billing my Mastercard, & stop playing stupid games I will be posting your silly pettiness on ************* & Whirlpool today.

    I am sure everybody else then reading will understand that since the email address is the same as the one on your files, ditto me as the account holder, and ditto the fact that obviously I passed security to cancel online at your own site - I am the lawful account holder & that you guys are just playing idiotic games.


    HostGator do not control those forums & word of your silly game playing will quickly spread & I will be using direct quotes to show your gross incompetence in not dealing with this immediately as first requested - especially after emailing me to do it "online" which I did after passing login security.

    (Quotes like "Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard." - when I myself had told you that in my very first email)

    I will give you no final warning before taking this all relevant bodies.
    They then after all the above emails tried to play silly games – I received:
    The message you sent requires that you verify that you are a real live human being and not a spam source. To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leavethe subject line intact. The headers of the message sent from your address are show below:
    So now I am spam – just because it has taken this many emails to get HG to do what they should have in the beginning! Then today at 7.02am:
    Peter, we're trying to cancel this account for you but need confirmation is all. The last 4 digits you provided are not what we have on file. Can you try verifying the correct digits on file so I can cancel this for you? Thanks! Regards, Tim
    Notice how many different HG people are responding & not one can do what asked & close the account! So I finally sent:
    Well you are a pack of incompetents.

    You manage to charge the card okay every month.

    You even have on file that the card is in the name of Hazel E Farrar

    And for your gross incompetence I will once again tell you that every web site in the world only asks for the last three security code digits.

    But once again, just for you, the security numbers are split on Mastercard into two groups - the first has four digits the second has three:

    7451 296

    Now whether your gross incompetence has led to you having the wrong security numbers or not - I want this account closed NOW!!!!

    Never mind that you asked for the last four digits & were correctly supplied with them yesterday:

    Well here it is now do it.

    1296

    Now just do your job.


    As promised: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...40#post4246040


    More thread on Whirlpool & other places to follow.

    And as stated & committed to in my immediate post above HG never received any digits from the front of the card only the security numbers from the back yet supposedly:
    This is where he provided the correct digits and his account was cancelled within minutes.

    We asked for 4 digits you provided 3. We would have probably taken the three accept for the fact it didn't match anything on file. I'm thinking you might of been providing the 3 digit security number on the back of your card, but since this is illegal for anyone to store we don't have this on file, and which is why we asked for the last 4 digits of your credit card not the 3 digit security on the back of your card.
    Well sorry HG but you have now been caught out in a direct lie. I never sent the numbers from the front of the card at all yet you say:
    This is where he provided the correct digits and his account was cancelled within minutes.
    Not only are you guys liars, but lousy hosts!

    The bottom line is HG had heaps of verification that I was who I said I was.

    HG knew I was very unhappy with their service - they had even deleted a thread of mine on their own forums about Acura problems - they even admitted that they had them.

    However it was not until I posted the URL to this thread to HG, did HG actually cancel my account.

    And without any further credit card numbers - so you work it out.

    Did they cancel the account based on the only numbers which I supplied (& they say are wrong), or did they finally cancel to avert bad publicity from this thread - you be the judge.

    Bottom line is I am very happy with my new AU host & very unhappy with HG all around.
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    530
    I have 2 observations to make on this

    1. I believe that the original poster of this thread was so wound up by this matter that it affected there thinking and rational which resulted in them not thinking clearly and acting in a rational way and had they taken the time to calm down and think clearly this whole matter could have been resolved quickly and amicably.

    2. With regard to Hostgator posting the content of there communications with this customer here on the forum I personally find that wholly unacceptable and highly unprofessional of Hostgator to do.
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    My first email 4th Dec 2006 1:45pm:

    Monday, 4th December 2006

    To Whoever is in charge of accounts,

    I am writing this to officially notify HostGator that your services are no longer required.

    I am paid up until the 28/12/2006 and have the statements printed off to prove it.

    I hereby cancel any and all authority for HostGator to debit the credit carded attached to this account from this moment on.

    I have also notified MasterCard of the above along with the fact that any attempt on the part of HostGator to charge that card is to be treated fraudulently.

    my name
    Think-eDesign
    ex-HostGator Aluminum Plan
    HG’s response:

    Sales,Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times. Ticket ID: LKH-909636 Subject: Re: Cancellation of Service Department: Sales Status: Open
    Then from HG:
    Hello, To cancel your account please fill out http://www.hostgator.com/cancel.php You will receive an email back stating you were cancelled at such time. If you don't get this email back within 24 hours, we didn't receive your cancellation request and you will be held responsible for any charges as a result. Thank you for contacting the HostGator Sales Department! Jay WeissmanSales TeamForum Administrator4th Dec 1:33pm
    So I did do it “online” as well & received:
    Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times. Ticket ID: RUM-587882 Subject: >>>>>>>>> CANCELLATION <<<<<<<< Department: Sales Status: Open
    I told them that I had done so:
    This has now been done. However by law it does not negate what I wrote personally in my first email today regarding HostGator having ceased to have any authority to debit the account's attached MasterCard



    regards, sent. 4th Dec 3:15pm
    Their response:
    Great, we will reply to the cancellation shortly! Thank you for contacting the HostGator Sales Department! Jay WeissmanSales Team
    I mean to say by now it should be obvious to a blind person I wish to cancel the account. As I said before at this stage they have, (unless they are completely useless), my name,

    my reseller domain name,

    my login authentication for their "online" cancellation,

    the fact it was a Mastercard,

    the name the Mastercard is in,

    the fact that I had deleted all files from the server,

    my replying to their "ticket number" I then get from HG:
    Hello Peter, I see you are on the Acura server We did have some downtime this month on it. I can give you a month of credit if you wish If not please reply to this ticket that you wish to cancel. **IMPORTANT: Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email. Thanks.Sincerely,Lance CustenCustomer Service Manager
    One would think from “Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email.” That finally my account would be cancelled, by oh no:
    For security purposes, could you please provide the last four digits of the credit card on file or your last PayPal transaction ID? **IMPORTANT: Your account will not be cancelled, until we receive your confirmation/verification to this email. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    My reply:
    I am not interested.

    Cancel this account immediately as you have been instructed!!!!

    my name

    I am also reporting you to the Australian Office of Fair Trading for your failure to do so.
    Their reply:
    Hello, Sir to cancel this account I'm going to need the last 4 digits of your credit card. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    Here is where I misunderstood – but understand they already have plenty of verification namely:my name,

    my reseller domain name,

    my login authentication for their "online" cancellation,

    the fact it was a Mastercard,

    the name the Mastercard is in,

    the fact that I had deleted all files from the server,

    my replying to their "ticket number" My response:
    Typical of the incompetence I have come to expect from HostGator.

    What sort of fraudulent activities are you trying to pull?

    It is only ever the last three digits that are used for security purposes.

    I have now registered a complaint with the Australian Office of Fair Trading about your unscrupulous methods.

    You have had 3 emails & one HostGator online cancellation notice so far - how many more do you think you need?

    The last three digits are: 296

    Now if this is not cancelled immediately & without any further attempts by HostGator to charge this credit card we will proceed with notifying the relevant American statutory authorities - not to mention posting on both Whirlpool & WebHostingTalk all about your shoddy accounting practices.
    All I want to do is leave & make sure that the HG billing dept is not as incompetent as the rest of HG. I replied:
    Well here it is now do it.

    1296

    Now get it done!

    And just try and debit that card & see how much world of trouble you bring down on HostGator.

    Every email has been recorded and your failure to carry out cancellation as per my instructions in nothing but infuriating.
    Here is where clever Carl tells me I have a Mastercard 4th Dec 7:12pm:
    Hello, Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard. The reason that we need this information is to verify your Identity further insults will not help this. If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know. Thank You, Carl
    My reply:
    Carl, just how dumb are you?

    What part of my original email of which I now quote:

    I hereby cancel any and all authority for HostGator to debit the credit carded attached to this account from this moment on.

    I have also notified MasterCard

    do you not understand?

    How dare you say I was incorrect, & then have the stupidity to say "the correct card is Mastercard"?

    Not only can't you read but you show the complete lack of competence that typifies HostGator's service.

    I myself had already told you it is Mastercard in my first email! What gross incompetence you show in your work.

    Now as you do have the correct last four security numbers as provided by me in the last email - cancel this account immediately.

    It is gross negligence & pettiness on the part of HostGator that after a total of 6 emails & your own "online" cancellation that you pack of incompetents cannot still do your job.

    I was going quietly, but now if you do not cancel this account immediately, cease billing my Mastercard, & stop playing stupid games I will be posting your silly pettiness on ************* & Whirlpool today.

    I am sure everybody else then reading will understand that since the email address is the same as the one on your files, ditto me as the account holder, and ditto the fact that obviously I passed security to cancel online at your own site - I am the lawful account holder & that you guys are just playing idiotic games.

    HostGator do not control those forums & word of your silly game playing will quickly spread & I will be using direct quotes to show your gross incompetence in not dealing with this immediately as first requested - especially after emailing me to do it "online" which I did after passing login security.

    (Quotes like "Sir that is incorrect. The correct credit card is a Mastercard." - when I myself had told you that in my very first email)

    I will give you no final warning before taking this all relevant bodies.
    They then after all the above emails tried to play silly games – I received:
    The message you sent requires that you verify that you are a real live human being and not a spam source. To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leavethe subject line intact. The headers of the message sent from your address are show below:
    So now I am spam – just because it has taken this many emails to get HG to do what they should have in the beginning! Then today at 7.02am:
    Peter, we're trying to cancel this account for you but need confirmation is all. The last 4 digits you provided are not what we have on file. Can you try verifying the correct digits on file so I can cancel this for you? Thanks! Regards, Tim
    Notice how many different HG people are responding & not one can do what asked & close the account! So I finally sent:
    Well you are a pack of incompetents.

    You manage to charge the card okay every month.

    You even have on file that the card is in the name of Hazel E Farrar

    And for your gross incompetence I will once again tell you that every web site in the world only asks for the last three security code digits.

    But once again, just for you, the security numbers are split on Mastercard into two groups - the first has four digits the second has three:

    7451 296

    Now whether your gross incompetence has led to you having the wrong security numbers or not - I want this account closed NOW!!!!

    Never mind that you asked for the last four digits & were correctly supplied with them yesterday:


    Well here it is now do it.

    1296

    Now just do your job.

    As promised: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...40#post4246040

    More thread on Whirlpool & other places to follow.

    my name
    And as stated & committed to in my immediate post above HG never received any digits from the front of the card only the security numbers from the back yet supposedly:
    This is where he provided the correct digits and his account was cancelled within minutes.

    We asked for 4 digits you provided 3. We would have probably taken the three accept for the fact it didn't match anything on file. I'm thinking you might of been providing the 3 digit security number on the back of your card, but since this is illegal for anyone to store we don't have this on file, and which is why we asked for the last 4 digits of your credit card not the 3 digit security on the back of your card.
    Well sorry HG but you have now been caught out in a direct lie. I never sent the numbers from the front of the card at all yet you say:
    This is where he provided the correct digits and his account was cancelled within minutes.
    Not only are you guys liars, but lousy hosts!

    PS: To anybody having trouble with HG or any other host - remember the power of places like WebHostingTalk when it comes to getting things done.
    Last edited by Think-eDesign; 12-04-2006 at 09:31 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn
    I can assure everyone that HostGator (as well as myself personally).
    So here is one HG staff

    Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    Well, I didn't count but the word incompetence was probably used over a 100 times.
    Your right you didn't count.

    The word never even made the low twenties.

    You don't work for HG as well do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyFF
    I love all threads "HOSTGATOR sucks" type!! In the end, it is proved that is customer's fault!

    Gator rocks!
    What another HG ghost account here on WebHostingTalk?

    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    I know who is dumb ... certainly not HostGator ...

    Some people can really be a pain ... What a big pain you are! I am sure HostGator is glad you are no longer their customer. For your next host, good luck with them.
    Mate I am sooo glad to be rid of HostGator you have no idea.

    Did you read the posts or just jump in to defend them?
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    1,463
    If I were you I would edit out the CC information still in your post.
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Cool man i wait to see how this thread goes , please post screenshots too , makes it more reliable.

    /me waits eagerly to see who is wrong.

    And to guys saying that its not hostgators fault and its the dudes fault i would suggest not to jump to conclusions until the dude actually posts his side of story with some reliable proof. Than you can bash him(if needed i will provide my baseball bat too)all you want if he is guilty .
    Screen shots of all emails from me & from HG can be provided not a problem.

    I just love the HG staff throwing everything they can to make this my fault - not saying you are as your voice of reason has stated that people shouldn't jump to conclusions defending HG.


    Quote Originally Posted by Keith W
    I have 2 observations to make on this


    2. With regard to Hostgator posting the content of there communications with this customer here on the forum I personally find that wholly unacceptable and highly unprofessional of Hostgator to do.
    And I didn't pass what is normally classified as "confidential infromation" (eg the contents of emails) until I had to show up HG's direct lie in claiming that this morning I somehow "miraculuously" posted any numberrs from the front of my Mastercard.

    However I figure since HG broke all client confidentiality rules it is now open slather.

    In fact I will do better than screenshots since HG have waived all confidentiality agreements - I will forward any & all emails from myself & HG to whoever eamils me wishing them.
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak
    lol. I always enjoy reading threats like that which arise from absolutely nothing. I am willing to bet that both of those didnt happen It reminds me of 12 year old kids who start their own hosting company and begin throwing threats over a late .99/month payment.
    Well you are wrong - it has been formaly reported.

    Furthermore I threatened to HG was to post here - and surprise, surprise, once I did the situation resolved & HG did what I wanted in the first place & cancelled the account without any further numbers or verification.

    To anyone else having trouble with a host it is amazing what "the power of the press" (or a forum like this) is
    Last edited by Think-eDesign; 12-04-2006 at 10:07 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    1,463
    Well you are wrong - it has been formal;ly reported.
    Okay then
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Think - e- designs

    You provided the 7 digits on the back of your card to HG in your last email,

    The first Four digits, Are the same as the last four digits of your credit card number, (Go ahead take a look at your card.)

    So only in your last email did you provide what was required and your account was cancelled.

    I think you owe HostGator an apology.

    I am guessing this isn't your card as I would think any "Adult " would know about the card numbers.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    The first Four digits, Are the same as the last four digits of your credit card number, (Go ahead take a look at your card.)

    So only in your last email did you provide what was required and your account was cancelled.

    I think you owe HostGator an apology.

    I am guessing this isn't your card as I would think any "Adult " would know about the card numbers.
    And you would be completely wrong.

    The last four security code digits are not the same as the first four numbers on the front of the card - beside what part of the "last four digits" as per their email do you fail to understand - nobody ever mentioned anything about "the first four digits" did they?

    So what do you think I should have replied? The LAST four digits (on the back) or the first four digits from the front - even though HG asked for
    The last 4 digits you provided are not what we have on file
    As for me being a child - some idiots refuse to believe that people over 50 are capable of a thought. You are the child - stop pretending that you are not connected with HostGator.
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Your fault is not knowing the difference between CVV code and the last 4 digit of your credit card number. CVV code is not part of your credit card numbers (16 digits).

    For your own shortcoming, you had insulted them. It's good to see they still replied to you professionally, despite the way you talked to them, and despite your own fault.

    As for me being a child - some idiots refuse to believe that people over 50 are capable of a thought. You are the child - stop pretending that you are not connected with HostGator.
    I hope you are right that you are over 50. Because you don't act and don't sound like one. Or is it a privilege/custom for 50+ to call anybody idiots when for their own mistakes?
    Last edited by FHDave; 12-04-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Your fault is not knowing the difference between CVV code and the last 4 digit of your credit card number. CVV code is not part of your credit card numbers (16 digits).

    For your own shortcoming, you had insulted them.
    I think the public will soon sort out who is having a go at who.

    As far as I am concerned this matter is now resolved as the account is now cancelled - which is all I wanted right from the word go.

    Apart from that HG were notified "in writing" (which is all that is required by law afterall), that the account was to be cancelled.

    I don't care what HG's excuses are or what the trolls post, - bottom line is they were notified in writing by the account holder, stating domain name, username, account email address, & HG login details.

    Since the HG "ghost account" staff are replying in droves I (under legal advice) will not be posting any more here on this subject.

    If HG persist I shall then proceed further in this at their own peril with every email including headers provided.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    The first Four digits, Are the same as the last four digits of your credit card number, (Go ahead take a look at your card.)
    That's certainly incorrect
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Think-eDesign
    I think the public will soon sort out who is having a go at who.
    I think the public has voiced their opinion. Nobody thinks HG is at fault here.

    Apart from that HG were notified "in writing" (which is all that is required by law afterall), that the account was to be cancelled.
    Which law are you referring to? I would like to see it. Do you mean their own TOS?

    What they do is simple. They are doing verification to make sure the account owner is the rightful person to request cancellation. Not just about anybody who write them about account cancellation can actually cancel an account. You don't wish somebody else to email them to cancel your account and they will simply cancell it because the person claiming to be yourself has put the cancellation request in writting, do you?

    Since the HG "ghost account" staff are replying in droves I (under legal advice) will not be posting any more here on this subject.
    legal advise? Yea, right.

    If HG persist I shall then proceed further in this at their own peril with every email including headers provided.
    I am sure HG is now hiding somewhere in the corner with their tails back ...
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Good night Johnboy.

    it was a funny one though.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!
      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    legal advise? Yea, right.

    I am sure HG is now hiding somewhere in the corner with their tails back ...
    Mate your atrocious spelling - legal "ADVISE"- when it should be "advice" shows the same "attention to detail" that is expected of HostGator - NOT!

    And someone was sayting I was only 15 years old.

    No more needs saying
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    51
    to OP,
    time to grow up duh


    HG is a reliable host, not a perfect one, but a really good one.

    xTiNcTion
      0 Not allowed!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    The first Four digits, Are the same as the last four digits of your credit card number, (Go ahead take a look at your card.)
    Dammit i missed his CC number , there goes my chance to buy a flat 52" LCD TV. Shoot, the cc number is gone i do not see it anywhere.


    Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon

    Karma will get you some day.
    Oh no , Karma is missing again, anyone seen my cat "Karma" Please let me know, yes he can get you hard when he is hungry, so when you see karma tying to get you just feed him something and call me at 911.

    Anyways i don't know whats happening in this thread anymore, i see that ethink said he used Mastercard in the first email as shown above, but somehow the staff said that he was using mastercard, do not know what he meant by thats incorrect, probably meant the number was incorrect or anything.

    Lucky me i do not store any CC numbers pheef, i didnt know that CC can be such a bitch sometimes and storing numbers such a pain the butt.

    /me Goes to bed hoping to find karma tomorrow.
      0 Not allowed!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swellyville
    Posts
    2,340
    I just don't see how Hostgator is at fault here. I mean yeah ill admit brent is goofy but he isn't that goofy!

    P.S Just kidding brent, ya know I love ya!

    Honestly Ethink, security placements like that need to be followed. You could have been someone else trying to cancel the plan.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Think-eDesign
    Mate your atrocious spelling - legal "ADVISE"- when it should be "advice"
    I am crushed! Bravo, you deserve a medal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Think-eDesign
    And someone was sayting I was only 15 years old.
    "sayting"? Good one on catching my spelling mistake. As this thread has shown, perhaps you should take a look at your own shortcomings/faults/mistakes, before pointing out others'.

    Good luck to you, and your new host.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •