My Paypal debit card info was stolen

They managed to clean out my Paypal account and some of the attached bank funds before I caught it.

However, there is good news. Paypal was amazingly wonderful to work with this morning and all of the charges are going to be reversed. The woman on the phone was very helpful and even waited on the phone while I filled out all of the online forms (even though I told her she didn't have to).

To those of you Paypal haters...they've always come through for me.

PS: If you see anyone walking around with a lot of jewelry and trying to sell several hundreds of dollars worth of excersise equipment...let me know. I'd like a chance to kick 'em in the you-know-what.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I've also had good experiences with PayPal phone support.

How did they do it? Did they have your card or order online? Did they have access to your PayPal account? That's one reason I never leave a balance in PayPal & move it out ASAP.

There's a local gas station (Wesco, in West Michigan) that had 1000s of credit/debit card numbers stolen from their corporate office. I was one of the lucky ones.

I never leave a big balance in my Paypal account either. But, without thinking, I took them up on their new offer of letting my Paypal debit card suck money out of my bank account if there's not enough in the Paypal account to cover it. At the time, I thought it was a cool way to get 1.5% cashback on more purchases.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Don't you have to have a checking account linked to PP as well? For the confirmed address thinger.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    Don't you have to have a checking account linked to PP as well? For the confirmed address thinger.
    Yeah.

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger

That's not that big a problem normally. I mean paypal doesn't take money out of your checking account unless you tell them too.

You can even run your account in the negative and they still don't just arbitrarily take it. She's talking about a new option that allows them to make instant transfers when you use your debit card and there's not enough funds in the account.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Well when I phoned Paypal after being ripped off, I was passed around about 6 times before I got through to someone who finally gave me the finger.

I have been a premium verified paypal member for 4 years with a pristine history, and I was ripped off by an unverified paypal member who had been active for 19 days, and they did NOTHING.

Ah well...can't win em all.

Glad to hear that paypal resolved your problem .

Generally speaking paypal is alot nicer to the people that buy as opposed to the people that sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam228
    Generally speaking paypal is alot nicer to the people that buy as opposed to the people that sell.
    Specifically speaking, that's not been my experience at all. We've accepted Paypal since 2001 and they've always been good to us. They're much easier to deal with than the merchant account/banks we've used over the past 10 years.

--Tina

Not sure what your experience was, but our experiences with paypal have been just like the OP. we've always been able to get on the phone with them in a timely manner, and have had people who are responsive and understanding.

However, one thing to bear in mind for paypal is that its not always the most appropriate thing to use for certain transactions. For example, if paying for services rendered (web hosting, web design, programming, etc., etc.,), the PayPal disputes will almost always side with the merchant. When hiring a programmer, who later turned out to be unable to write a single line of code, there was little we could do to get our funds back. The customer support rep literally stated that, if you wanted better protection on services like these, to pay with a method other than paypal. That might be why some people on this board have bad experiences. During the holiday season though, they are having some crazy promotions for popular web stores that can add up to huge savings.