Do female customers receive better treatment?

What i've noticed is that female customers receive better treatment then male ones. Their support tickets seems to be answered faster, and the general tone in the answers is over all alot nicer.

Im not going to release the names of providers i've tested this with at this time, as i'm still finishing the study up and wanted the some public opionon on the matter.

For example.

I have a account under my name (male) at a hosting company with one of their larger servers, i've had it for roughly 12 months. Every support ticket (while answered in a timely manner) would take on average anywhere from 50% to 200% longer for the same issues to be answered as when posting similar issues under a female account that i set up there.

Another example is 3 months ago under our male name, we purchased some remote backup space during the working week(tuesday i beleive), we received a prompt email asking what our username should be. Then 4 days later we finally receive a welcome email, that basically said here is your username, password a link to a quick setup guide and have a nice day.

2 days ago over the weekend i might add, we had to expand our backup storage and decided to include this in the test. To our surprise, we received the same prompt email at sign up, and after responding during what most would consider "off-hours" 2:45am EST(their time) 30 minutes later we receive a fast, and courteous reply informing us of all these other great features we never knew exisited.

Obvisously there is other factors behind the scenes that contribute to this as well, such as support load, time of day, day of week, yada yada yada. And we also realize that 3 months between purchasing accounts is a while so maybe their support has improved, but we're still waiting on a letter at our "male"
    account explaining our new features. But it seems that for the most part any question submitted under the female account is handled faster and better over all.

What is everyone elses take on this, have you experienced the same thing?

I knew a girl that was sleeping with a NOC admin in exchange for 50th percentile billing - no joke.

Keeping it real since 2000. ,

Karl

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    I knew a girl that was sleeping with a NOC admin in exchange for 50th percentile billing - no joke.

Karl
    Hell, I'd do it too.
    What's his name?

//No joke, *tosses on his will do anything for bandwidth shirt*.

As far as I'm aware I know of no provider who 'treats' females differently.
    You might luck out and get a male representative that's a tad more courteous and will throw down some extra time to help her out but 'more prompt activation' -- get out of here.

Not likely.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Karl
    Who really got the bargain? The girl or the admin?

With so many males working in the industry, it would be no huge surprise if it would turn out be marginally better to be a woman customer. It might also be that the cliche of seeing women as less inclined to be technically proficient, works to their advantage, prompting the (mostly) male techs to give more detailed answers.

I doubt that the differences in quality of service would be that big though... unless the males in the IT industry are really desperate.

I know of several gay male web hosts, some who frequent this forum... so your data could be a bit skewed. We, as rare as it is, are fortunate enough to have a female staff member answering tickets - I wonder if she's giving preferential treatment to the men ?

Joe
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Just some random additional information:

1. I noted you state 50%-200% longer, isn't this a bit long of a range for a "study"?
    Try narrowing it down further. I doubt a single test on a single host is going to conclude anything.

If you want the study to have any merit you'll need to put in a lot more effort.

Based on the above alone I'd have to say you're just getting lucky with how quick your responses are. Your host apparently has some fairly lengthy times when there are either:

1. No personnel on
    2. Additional ticket load that they should add more personnel for.

It turns out there's no better treatment after all but instead someone just needs to choose a better host.

The industry doesn't have much for standards. It might be a test you can implement to a chain of muffler repair shops but to simply say the web hosting industry could be biased across the board is a bit silly.

I've worked with a large number of providers whose teams are comprised of male and female: Not every host is a 14 year old kid in their basement waiting for Sally's ticket to come in because he has a crush on her.

The rest of us don't have time.

Note: In the end I guess it could happen, anything's possible. I've seen 3 guys stand around a phone because they thought the woman on the other end could possibly be hot based on her voice. Guys' are sad, especially in any industry related to computers.
    Last edited by David; 12-04-2006 at 02:45 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Well I'm going to test your theory next time I change hosting, even have perfect profile alredy available which won't raise suspicions.
    Vojska.net - wargaming, military history
    World of photography - everything about photography

IMHO, girl should get better support coz many of 'em just cooking, do what men do like. btw, thanks for the info, mybe after this I'll try to pretend be a girl.

Karl
    Haha thats great lol

Honestly though Im sure it happens, we all know it shouldnt but I cant honestly see that it doesnt happen

hmm might agree with the sexed up factor but may be support staff believe female customers need more sound 123 steps advice to understand than man counterpart lol no offence to gals
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

Quote Originally Posted by hashcoder
    hmm might agree with the sexed up factor but may be support staff believe female customers need more sound 123 steps advice to understand than man counterpart lol no offence to gals
    Surprisingly enough I've found it to be the other way around.
    The females that I've worked with in the support industry tend to be:

1. Gun ho about their providers (for better or worse) -- e.g. they'll thank you if they love you, they'll slay you if they hate you.
    2. Almost always willing to read (Unlike their male counterparts)

Gotta love the differences in clientbase.
    David

For me (might vary from person to person), unless the chick posts her pic too with the support request and is hot, i do not give it a damn cause i do not like to discriminate on basis of sex,greed,gender,age,religion and etc etc.

I find it a bit curious that there are so many opinions on a subject and little to no data on the matter. There have been no controlled studies or tests in this regard. Frankly, it WOULD surprise me if female customers are receiving better treatment than males. For a number of reasons:

1) There is little/no face time, so there is no "visual" reason to provide a preference. This is a big item as most female preference in society is given based on looks.

2) While women are making their way into the corporate world more everday (congratulations by the way, I think it's great), there is still a heavy unbalanced ratio of men to women in terms of decision makers. It would simply make better business sense to cater more to men in a male dominated industry.

3) I agree that an email can be determined as more or less courteous than another, but for the most part online writing is emotionless. It is simply text that is provided emotion when the reader interprets it the way they choose. To determine a sexist attitude, in my opinion, would be next to impossible and simply isn't worth the energy.

All in all, find a host you like and stick with them. Man or woman, a solid company (any industry) should make you feel like a person and not just a number.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Surprisingly enough I've found it to be the other way around.
    The females that I've worked with in the support industry tend to be:

1. Gun ho about their providers (for better or worse) -- e.g. they'll thank you if they love you, they'll slay you if they hate you.
    2. Almost always willing to read (Unlike their male counterparts)

Gotta love the differences in clientbase.
    yup female clients most of the time provide good feedback and never forget to say thanks if it works for them but cant set priorities according to that in industry
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

I have to agree with VanHost, it shouldn't matter to the web host if the customer is a female or male.

I also agree that it should not matter. I have been with a host that has been very fair with me and have dedicated their time to helping all of their valuble customers no matter the sex,race,age. Worxtech.com never could be more happy with any other host
    ServNX LLC - Leading into success
    Hosting Solutions, Software Development, VPS Servers, Design Solutions, IRC & Adult Allowed!

I guess it's the same as any other job/business where different sexes aren't treated the same.

Guys, would you like to be treated as women? What would you do if a male rep asked you out?

This is interesting. I've never seen this before myself. I don't think most support reps have time to give preferential treatment if they wanted to!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Well, perhaps we subconsciously give preferential treatment to some females, but only because their issues are usually (based on years of experience) easier to resolve, such that they tend to give more detailed information about a problem, which helps us greatly. Conversely, we always reply in order of issue priority or submission time, so this is only a general speculation

I suspect your webhost had the same idea, they just happened to have more time and were ready to process an order quicker than usual due to the present circumstances. In any case, both males and females pay the same amount of money for services, so it's important to treat them equally with respect and in a timely manner
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

I don't personally treat female customers differently, they're customers and that's all I see when I read their tickets.

Sorry for going off-topic but there's a famous Daniel Briere with the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL, he's also on the east coast
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by ntfu2
    What i've noticed is that female customers receive better treatment then male ones. Their support tickets seems to be answered faster, and the general tone in the answers is over all alot nicer.
    I think the support staff must be incredibly desperate if they give preferential treatment to customers they perceive as female.

Im not going to release the names of providers i've tested this with at this time, as i'm still finishing the study up and wanted the some public opionon on the matter.
    Im waiting to see this "study", its methodology and results
    For example.

I have a account under my name (male) at a hosting company with one of their larger servers, i've had it for roughly 12 months. Every support ticket (while answered in a timely manner) would take on average anywhere from 50% to 200% longer for the same issues to be answered as when posting similar issues under a female account that i set up there.

Another example is 3 months ago under our male name, we purchased some remote backup space during the working week(tuesday i beleive), we received a prompt email asking what our username should be. Then 4 days later we finally receive a welcome email, that basically said here is your username, password a link to a quick setup guide and have a nice day.

2 days ago over the weekend i might add, we had to expand our backup storage and decided to include this in the test. To our surprise, we received the same prompt email at sign up, and after responding during what most would consider "off-hours" 2:45am EST(their time) 30 minutes later we receive a fast, and courteous reply informing us of all these other great features we never knew exisited.

Obvisously there is other factors behind the scenes that contribute to this as well, such as support load, time of day, day of week, yada yada yada. And we also realize that 3 months between purchasing accounts is a while so maybe their support has improved, but we're still waiting on a letter at our "male"
    account explaining our new features. But it seems that for the most part any question submitted under the female account is handled faster and better over all.
    You are correct that there are so many factors involved that its virtually impossible to draw any definitive conclusions from your "study"

What is everyone elses take on this, have you experienced the same thing?
    I think its wacky and I really have not even considered before. However I do think that if a customer is polite in his/her attitude they would receive treatment in kind, but there is no evidence that gender in itself is a significant factor. Thanks for asking.

This is an interesting study. Another thing to consider is the tone of the email... is the female persona that you are using more polite than the male version? Are you asking questions in a different manner?

A major factor to consider in such a male-dominated market is the novelty factor. When 90%+ of the customers are male, a support rep may be subconsciously treating the female customer as a "higher class" customer, even if unintentionally. I think if you look at a different industry where there's a closer 50/50 male/female split, you won't see much of a difference in customer service response.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Did you signed up under a fake name?

Well, it is possible that female customers get a faster response, i would not enter in the psychology or deeper matters, but it's fact (not generalizing) that female gender is a little less-techy and easy-panic (not offending either here).

I do have a some female clients that i had to assist step-by-step through the singup process or explain some "basic" things that we call. Yet, they are more polite, do read with attention the advices given to them and i have a great pleasure to work with such customers.

Well, we can also presume that someone from the support staff is in "hunting" season too (heck, it happens...doesn't it? ) just teasing...but i don't negate this fact.

A customer is a customer, female or male, the only difference i would be able to make on customers is: polite customer and rude customer (with or without a reason to get mad, is there any benefit from being rude?)

Cheers.

I'll be brutally honest with you guys... For many people, it makes absolutely no difference. When I'm dealing with customers, I typically won't pay enough attention to the name to make these distinctions. I'll admit to being pretty shallow so the kind of women I would be interested in, you won't find anywhere near a computer let alone a hosting company.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
    || CupidClick Dating || Just for Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy
    Sorry for going off-topic but there's a famous Daniel Briere with the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL, he's also on the east coast
    Ah, yes! You wouldn't believe how many times I've been confused for him, especially online. There have been a few times it's happened in person, as well - I don't look very much like him, but I guess it's enough that folks seem to think I'm him.

(I also get confused with another Daniel Briere who writes a few telecom books in the for Dummies series.)

some female customer is very rude also ...

Quote Originally Posted by identifydns
    some female customer is very rude also ...
    So are some male customers...I don't think gender has much to do with whether a person is rude or not.

I think yes that happens.

Basically it can happen when your support is outsourced to some call center or some group of guys who are bored just sitting on computer recieving support queries. (bah! )

I wont say its possible for a proprietor to answer questions quickly to a female than a male, as he thinks from business perspective.

Well as some of you said above, as this industry has more of males than females you'll surely see that....its agreeable that the possibility of this issue can be in any industry.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    So are some male customers...I don't think gender has much to do with whether a person is rude or not.
    I agree

Pyce !

Well, in the hosting industry, you don't really see your clients or meet up with them, apart from support emails or chat requests, you really don't know anything about the person talking to you..so, it really shouldn't matter if it's a guy or a girl..both treated equally because..both are actually paying equally and both are expecting to be treated professionaly
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.