View Poll Results: Please select which bulletin board you would prefer to use...

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ikonboard

3 14.29%
  • InvisionBoard

18 85.71%

Question Which would you prefer to use?

Recently I downloaded and installed Ikonboard to setup for future use. For the time being I was testing it and setting it up for the intended use. Unintentionally, I screwed up and it now needs to be reinstalled (this was my fault ). I've now heard of InvisionBoard and after looking at it, and noticing that it is also free, I'd like your opinion on the two.

Please choose which you believe is the best from the two listed above. I know there are others and there are even others that cost money and are better. I'm just mainly interested in knowing which of the two listed are the best.

I appreciate all feedback and the results of the poll.

Thank you,
    Mark Blair

Invisionboard would be my choice.

Haven't had any problems with it so far...

Anybody else have any suggestions? I'm hoping to get some good feedback before reinstalling Ikonboard or InvisionBoard. Has anybody had any problems with Ikonboard that make it the option not to choose?

Thanks again for all the feedback...
    Mark Blair

ikonboard uses too much resource on the server.

Alot of hosts won't allow ikon boards, at least this is what Im told. They are hard on the servers.

One of the reasons why I desided to gig deep into the pockets and get a Vb

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers
    For a great new forum please click on my weblink.
    ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS
    VISIT ME AT
    http://www.jmdsforum.com

Invision Board is written by the same person who wrote Ikonboard, a guy by the name of Matt Mecham.

I wouldn't install Ikonboard, not only is is MUCH more resource intensive, it does not have a lot of third party support anymore since Jarvis took over its development.

After saying that, I have to admit, I used to use Ikonboard and only recently upgraded as I finally got a few minutes. The upgrade went extremely smooth, no problems whatsoever. The new board is faster, looks better, and works much more effectivly.

Invision Board is without a doubt one of the best bulletin board systems available, both feature wise, speed wise, and in terms of price, nothing can beat it. vBulletin is a good system as well, but I think Invision Board takes the cake.

Just my two cents,
    Shawn
    Do Not Write in this Space --> [ OK ]

phpbb seems like a nice free alternative, i like it so far
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Burning board 2 was recently released, and it's available for free at www.woltlab.de

I'd choose it over Iconboard any day.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Up until a couple of days ago, I hadn't even heard of InvisionBoard. I saw someone reference it here on WHT and checked it out. I also noticed it is being developed by the same person that started Ikonboard which makes me belive there are issues with Ikonboard as has been stated here. This information has been extremely helpful.

Thanks again WHT members...
    Mark Blair

i use invisionboard, its good and uses far less resources than ikonboard, they are made by the same people anyway

To help those who have no clue what Invision Board is or where to find it, i am including a link to the Invision Board web site.

Neither...but if I had to I would go with Invision Board simply because its php is faster and less of a hog. Why not use a better product...www.phpbb.com
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

phpBB is also an option. I was merely looking for which of the other two that people liked the most. I never heard anything negative about Ikonboard until I heard the great things about InvisionBoard. But I will consider all before making a final choice because I certainly don't want to switch later on down the road.

Also, thanks Fiber for the link to the InvisionBoard site. I missed adding that one.
    Mark Blair

Originally posted by avara
    Burning board 2 was recently released, and it's available for free at www.woltlab.de

I'd choose it over Iconboard any day.
    Wbb2 is gonna cost between 25 Euros an 85 Euros so i believe. Wbb1 is free and is still better than all of the rest IMO.

i voted ikonboard b/c i have no clue what invision is
    Regards,
    Santiago Yajan Cruz
    -----------------------------------------------
    [://Insert ancient Chinese saying here ...]

Originally posted by phpjames
    ...Why not use a better product...www.phpbb.com
    I've been checking out phpBB since being referred there by people in this thread and I am impressed so far. I have now included phpBB as a possiblity along with InvisionBoard. I think the fact that both run off of php and are free is a major plus. Thanks everyone for the recommendations. This should be a very interesting project to say the least.
    Mark Blair

Gotta go with phpBB on this one.
    - Nick Mahon
    Vereor.com
    Professional Web Development