Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rackshack - The worst customer service I have seen

Ok let me explain, me and my friend share the expenses of our rackshack server, I never felt the need to get the rackshack id or password from him so today my server has gone down, completely down, I go over to irc.ev1.net and try to explain my stance but they wont listen, I told them to take any steps necessary to prove my authenticity, told them to plug the server off the network and enter the admin/root passwords I give them and see for themselves that I am the right person, but no, they wont budge.

Now its been more than 12 hours since my sites went down.. I tried to contact almost every person available in the channel and no one would listen to me, in fact they threatened to ban me from the server and most of them ignored me.

They know the server is down, they verified it, but wont restart it for security reasons, what in the world is wrong with getting a server back up? Even when I am willing to provide root/admin/psa passwords to prove my authenticity?

Following is a snippet of chat with RS-Donell..
    <RS-Donell> customer service could verify your identity to our satisfaction.
    <RS-Donell> but they'r enot here until tomorrow at 9am.
    <Plot> that is not good, cant you call the no in your registered database to verify that he is out to canada?
    <Plot> I really dont see how rebooting a server is a breach of security
    <Plot> it is incurring us losses though. http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...stomer_Support see those two ads by kayako? thats my site thats on the server, and its down
    <RS-Donell> no.
    <Plot> cant you just plug the server off the network and try the root passwords and other passwords I give you that PROVES that I am an authorized person?
    <RS-Donell> no. only the owner can authorize this. I must warn you. I will ask you to leave chat if you continue to ask. We have explained what needs to happen.
    <Plot> Donnel, I know you are right at your stance, but you have to understand we are loosing business over here, and if you could just verify everything then everything would be fine, you are at a position where I understand you are not allowed to do it, but what if you finally see that we are loosing business over here and that I am the authorized person..?
    <Plot> I hope you can understand what I am going through right now and bear with the frustration I am going through.
    <Plot> the server hosts over 20 sites, activetopic.com, kayako.com, dooot.com, mindseed.com, jokeshub.com, myaimicon.com I cant understand why you think anyone would want a server to be down.
    <Plot> Donell, are you there?
    <RS-Donell> I've explained the rules already. Only the owner can request a reboot. Unless your name was on the account OR you know the rs-#### and password could you get the server rebooted.
    <RS-Donell> Those are the only circumstances.
    <Plot> RS-Donell: can you put me through a senior?
    <RS-Donell> I'm a the supervisor.
    <RS-Donell> the sup, i mean.
    <RS-Donell> Plot, the rules were developed for a reason, and I'm not going to have ome of my tech get written up for assisting you. That's why I'm talking to you myself.
    <Plot> alright, I can understand your rules, take yourself at my situation, what would you do?
    <Plot> when you have clients under you, spent grands on ads, what would you do? would you wait for another two days for your partner to show up? thats why i am asking, think over anything, anything that can help you know that I am authorized for this, and I will do it.
    <RS-Donell> it's your decision. The only thing you're missing is information that your partner has. If you can get that info, then you can solve your problem.
    <Plot> If I could get to him, I could get him to submit a ticket. I am asking what would you do? I am getting frustated over here, not because of you, but because you are unwilling to take any steps to prove my authenticity
    <RS-Donell> i have no personal opinion one way or the other.
    <Plot> yeah
    <Plot> so you are saying you cannot get the server up?
    <Plot> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending <- Look at my posts at WHT, I am not a hacker or anything, look at my signatures, there has to be something to prove it?
    <Plot> I am "Varun Shoor" on WHT.
    <Plot> Donell??
    <RS-Donell> yes?
    <Plot> help me over here, I am sure you can understand how frustated I am. what else can be done to prove my authenticity and get my server back up?
    <RS-Donell> nothing can be done.
    <Plot> so I have to wait and loose revenues? does HeadSurfr come into this channel?
    <Plot> are you the most superior person in the channel?
    <RS-Donell> i'm the top person here.
    <Plot> heh, this is so very frustating
    <Plot> can you call the no he registered with and then see for yourself that he has gone to Canada?
    <Plot> xxxx xxxx (his address and phone were specified here)
    <Plot> can you?
    <RS-Donell> no
    <Plot> Donell, why are you ignoring me? Why dont you see it, the server is COMPLETELY down, all sites are down, I am requesting you to take any measures necessary to prove my identity, take the server off the network, enter the passwords I give you, when you see that everythings correct, plug it back in.
    <Plot> I never expected this level of support from you people, how else can I prove it to you that I am the authorized person, I dont see it, all payments to you have been prompt, everything in order, and from past 3 hours I have been in this room yelling, trying to explain and no ones listening, you just keep ignoring me.
    <RS-Donell> sir, for the last time. only the owner can get the service you are requesting. (threatning to ban me, gave several warnings earlier)
    <RS-Donell> The rules exist for a reason, and I'm not going to get disciplined for breaking a rule that iron-clad.
    <Plot> I understand that, but you have to understand my stance too, a server is down, we are suffering losses, I am asking you to prove my authenticity, enter the passwords I give you (why dont you do this?) and if everythings correct, bring it up.
    <RS-Donell> That falls under customer server domains. Only they are allowed to give the ifno you seek.
    <RS-Donell> And, once again, that's done for a reason, and is an iron-clad rule.
    <Plot> what a rule, why do you think I am here sitting from past 3 hours to get you to listen to me? I have had enough, I am going to post a thread on webhostingtalk.com and your own forums now, what a great service, keep it up.
    What should I do? I cant wait for another 2 days for my partner to return and have the sites down, changing dns would do no good as it would take around 2-3 days for the changes to reflect and then I will have to change it back again.

I am really VERY frustated right now.
    eSupport - Feature Packed & Robust Support System (Supports email+web based interface)
    LiveResponse - The Ultimate Live Support Package (Unmatched features & Speed)
    http://www.kayako.com
      0 Not allowed!

Don't agree with the topic name

I actually agree with Rackshack on this one. If your details are not on record for the server then they shouldn't do anything you request to the server. Simply knowing root pass doesn't mean anything.

Looks like you are going to have to sit tight and wait for your partner to come back.

It sucks but that's life.
      0 Not allowed!

3. I agree. I stand with RS on this one, too. I'm sure your partner could have your name put in the account notes somewhere. The fact is, policy is policy.

S
      0 Not allowed!

You are not right over here

I have tried to prove them everything that I am the part owner of the box, so I am eligible for customer service, which they arent providing.

You arent loosing business over here, I am, how does a COMPLETELY down server benefit a person? And what does it have to do with security? Really frustated right now so excuse my tone/language.
    eSupport - Feature Packed & Robust Support System (Supports email+web based interface)
      0 Not allowed!

btw I am not asking whom you stand with

I am asking what should I do now? 2 days of downtime is no good
      0 Not allowed!

I Agree What If You Really Were A Info Stealer
      0 Not allowed!

7. We're all entitled to our own opinions!

The fact of the matter is, if you go into business with someone, you need to plan for situations like this. Badgering RS support, however, won't get you what you want.

Good luck!

S
      0 Not allowed!

yeah right
      0 Not allowed!

Call your partner in Canada and have him call RackShack support...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net
      0 Not allowed!

you think I didnt do that? Called all the way from India and got his voice mailbox on his cell and I didnt even know he went over to Canada untill I called his home phone, he lives in Oregon and is out to Canada and wont be back for another 2 days.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with thewitt, can't you contact your partner? Also have quite mixed feelings about this problem. Ofcourse Rackshack shouldn't 'react' if it is not the owner of the server who is contacting them... but on the other hand, what _harm_ can be done to switch off a server and plugging it back in. It's the least what they can do.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm, oh you already tried to contact him.. hmm he must be able to reply within 2 days? This is some situation.
      0 Not allowed!

Most of you are missing a vital point

There's another aspect to this which is that the fact that the server is down and they won't reboot it to even maintain uptime.

Many of you might have periods where you can't get to check your server for a day or two, and maybe even more. What this demonstrates is that RS will quite happily allow a server that is dead to remain so. Far better would surely be for the hosting supplier to reboot the server the moment that downtime is detected. To me, this flaw in the RS service is as much of a problem as the inflexibility and lack of common sense shown by the staff. There's a problem, and RS staff should go out of their way to fix it, and the bottom line is that they don't give a damn.

Their policy is a good starting point, but the fact that the server is down and that the authenticity of the request could be verified if RS would put themselves out, should surely result in a better outcome than what's on the cards here so far.

I'm real glad that I *don't* use RS!
      0 Not allowed!

yeah, talked over to a person called Brian, they still wont reboot it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Superior-IS
    but on the other hand, what _harm_ can be done to switch off a server and plugging it back in.
    A lot.
      0 Not allowed!

What harm? care to explain?
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with a:\

I don't think its bad customer service. Rules are rules. I understand what you're going through, but if you shoudl of asked for the rs # and password the day you got the server... Because you guys are splitting the cost, right? So if it was me you bet i want the login, doesnt matter whos name its under. If its under the name Rob williams and your name is something else, it doesnet matter, they wouldnt konw the difference.

I say sounds like you ran into some bad luck, and next time have the rs #
      0 Not allowed!

Yes please explain . I already thought of several security problems, but those didn't make sense because the whole purpose of a server is that it has to be online. At least, that's what I think.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh and as far as i know, you can only have one name on the rackshack account. you konw, like contact info etc.

so what good would it do if you were giving rackshack details about your identity ? maybe im missing something

if the person who bought the servers name is rob williams and your name is something else i dont think your name or your identity means much. It's not like they will give you the rs # and pw right away after you prove you are really who you are.
      0 Not allowed!

Varun, could you post the ip of the server? that or pm me it
      0 Not allowed!

Believe me, the first thing I am going to do is get the RS# and PW, but I want this issue to be resolved asap, 2 days is way too much time.
      0 Not allowed!

PM sent.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Varun Shoor
    What harm? care to explain?
    Since Rackshack does not manage the server, they do not know wyhat services are running on the box. Improperly rebooting a server could damage applications running on the server...databases in particular are susceptible to corruption if a server is improperly rebooted.

If the server is being used to perform heavy calculations rebooting the server may cause that data to be lost. Firewall services sometimes do not automatically start up, which may leave the server vulnerable after a reboot.

There are all sorts of problems that can develop by rebooting a server improperly. Not to mention if I was the customer, and someone rebooted my server without permission, I would be madder n hell.

What everyone has said is correct. If you are not listed as the customer, then you are not the customer. Regardless of whether or not you are a partner in the business, or whatever, you are not the customer as far as Rackshack is concerned. You should have added your name to the contact list, which I am sure Rackshack will allow you to do. Also, your partner should not have started a 2 day road trip before running a new ad campaign on hotscripts (if its an ongoing ad campaign, then I am sure the customers will check back).

Finally, if the support person tells you the answer is no, leave them alone. That's the answer, accept it, and concentrate on trying to contact your partner. Although, if you must complain, please do it on the Rackshack forums, because that is where the people who can actually help you are...we are primarily going to tell you that this is your fault, and to suck it up.
      0 Not allowed!

The server is not running, its down, completely down. So there is no concern of any damage you are thinking off.
      0 Not allowed!

The server is not running, its down, completely down. So there is no concern of any damage you are thinking off.
    Perhaps it is down, perhaps it is behaving the way it is supposed to. Support has no way of knowing without talking to the owner.
      0 Not allowed!

If I were to shut down my server at RackShack, and someone were to then be able to call RackShack and get that server restarted, I would be very pissed.

My partner has the RS account number and password and is just as likely to put in a support ticket with them as I am.

I'm sorry to hear your server is down. I really am. But unless you can reach your partner, I don't see where you have any alternative but to wait for his return.

If you have access to your partner's email account, you might be able to recover the username and password from the confirmation email. Just a thought.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Most of you are missing a vital point

Originally posted by phpa
    There's another aspect to this which is that the fact that the server is down and they won't reboot it to even maintain uptime.

Many of you might have periods where you can't get to check your server for a day or two, and maybe even more. What this demonstrates is that RS will quite happily allow a server that is dead to remain so. Far better would surely be for the hosting supplier to reboot the server the moment that downtime is detected. To me, this flaw in the RS service is as much of a problem as the inflexibility and lack of common sense shown by the staff. There's a problem, and RS staff should go out of their way to fix it, and the bottom line is that they don't give a damn.

<snip>

I'm real glad that I *don't* use RS!
    As uuallan said, there are reasons why one would *not* want a provider to do this. If the client on record requested this and they refused, that would be one thing, this is not the case here.

Regarding this specifically:

"Far better would surely be for the hosting supplier to reboot the server the moment that downtime is detected."

This type of service is something you would get if you signed up for managed hosting with monitoring services, something that will cost you a pretty penny at places like Rackspace. When you get an unmanaged server, you get an unmanaged server. People seem to confuse managed and unmanaged servers here all the time. Even a managed server might not include monitoring services (this is the case with Rackspace, far as I know, that's extra).

Servers don't just crash for the heck of it. There's a reason and rebooting the server could very well be the wrost thing you could do. sorry, but I agree with the majority of the people who posted. Varun Shoor needs to get the proper info or have the registered client contact RS and request the reboot. The fact that he's not available is unfortunately irrelevant.

Let's move forward...

What should you do is the question. Well, what are your options?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

What should you do is the question. Well, what are your options?
    None, just sit back, wait for two days and see my business and clients go haywire and I dont want to do that
      0 Not allowed!

it's a bad situation, but, unfortunately, there's not much that CAN be done.

without beating a dead horse, your name isn't on the contract. the company can do nothing without hearing from the owner of the box. they have no way of knowing who you are and it doesn't matter if you say you're a partner. you still aren't a contact for the server.

it's a learning situation on your part, and i don't see how it reflects negatively on the part of rackshack's support.

sorry again to hear your server is down.
      0 Not allowed!

OK. Your question about what options you have is valid but unfortunately no-one here can help you (except the "read his mail" suggestion).

Sorry you are losing business.

But what I really don't like is the thread's subject

Rackshack - The worst customer service I have seen
    This is wrong and inaccurate. If anything you demonstrated their customer service is, in fact, very good.

Good luck on getting it resolved before 2 days.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok i hate to encourage people to lie, but call up Rackshack, get a different tech, and claim there has been a power failure or something of that nature. That might actually get them to look at it, it might just nip you in the buttox, but it's worth a try (if they think the power supply is dead, they might plug in, notice its down, resart it, and then say "nope, it was just locked"), or they might just tell you tough luck.

Only idea i've got for ya
      0 Not allowed!

Varuun,
    I really feel for you.

However is I was a Rackshack support guy, I would really think twice before bringing your server back to life.
    What if the server was intentionally turned off to escape an attack or a possible hack attempt?

I have had my fair deal of bad support from RS people (and, occasionally, of excellent support!) when we had a backup server there, but I must say that not knowing your RS #/password is very unprofessionnal and something like this was bound to happen

-Chris.
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah well, I have decided to just wait and see, been trying to contact my partner, lets see what happens. Thanks for your encouragement, I really do appreciate it.

heh Myles, I think every RS person now knows me so I doubt they would do it and besides they would ask for RS # which I dont have.

So now I just wait and watch for my partner to respond and get the server back up. Just hope nothings fried up because its been a week since I took a backup
      0 Not allowed!

get someone else to call
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah well, I have decided to just wait and see, been trying to contact my partner, lets see what happens. Thanks for your encouragement, I really do appreciate it.

heh Myles, I think every RS person now knows me so I doubt they would do it and besides they would ask for RS # which I dont have.

So now I just wait and watch for my partner to respond and get the server back up. Just hope nothings fried up because its been a week since I took a backup
    Guess it's time to find a more reliable provider? *cough*
      0 Not allowed!

porcupine-

Encouraging anyone to lie or use deception to thwart anyones security measures is just down right wrong! No other way to explain your comment above.

We only talk/support the account owner. ONLY the account owner. We've been burned before trying to do what we "thought" was the right thing, overlook a security measure/identity verification measure, and we've gotten much grief from the account owner.

Hence, a very well thought out and conceived policy.

The poster here does NOT EVEN have the RS# and the password so that he can request a reboot through our automated system.

With that simple information, teh reboot would have occured within a matter of minutes.

Robert
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by headsurfer
    porcupine-

Encouraging anyone to lie or use deception to thwart anyones security measures is just down right wrong! No other way to explain your comment above.

We only talk/support the account owner. ONLY the account owner. We've been burned before trying to do what we "thought" was the right thing, overlook a security measure/identity verification measure, and we've gotten much grief from the account owner.

Hence, a very well thought out and conceived policy.

The poster here does NOT EVEN have the RS# and the password so that he can request a reboot through our automated system.

With that simple information, teh reboot would have occured within a matter of minutes.
    Robert
    Robert,

I'm not trying to "thwart your security", im trying to help him be sucessfull without putting a tech at risk. Hence why i said claim the server is down, because then they might be prompted to actually look at it, and what harm can be done in bringing up a downed box (if its that insecure, it should be patched, not shutdown, shutting down a server does little to nothing).

I can understand why a tech wouldn't reboot a server, but if they thought it was down, went to it, checked, verified it was unresponsive/down, i cant see anyone not bringing it back up, but then again, thats just my two cents.

But you're absolutly right, he should have that information, but its not about shoulds/should not's, its about has, and has not . Sorry if you took that as me attempting to help others undermine your security, just trying to give someone an idea that might benefit both parties (having some guy scooping up all your techs time cant be good for either parties).
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by porcupine

Robert,

I'm not trying to "thwart your security", im trying to help him be sucessfull without putting a tech at risk. Hence why i said claim the server is down, because then they might be prompted to actually look at it, and what harm can be done in bringing up a downed box (if its that insecure, it should be patched, not shutdown, shutting down a server does little to nothing).
    He never said you were trying to thwart their security. He said that encouraging some (like Varun) to do it is simply wrong. And you indirectly (some may consider it direct) did do exactly that.

Also restarting a server even if it is completely locked and there is no other alternative is not the correct thing to do. Why? The answer is very simple and some good posts have already been made about it so i won't bother.

EDIT: Varun, I think the best thing to do is just not worry about how bad this is. I have had downtime problems in the past on different servers and I realized it wasn't the end of the world every time. I think it really helps to just relax and enjoy the day. You can eithe take the time off or plan on what you want to do when you get the server back up.
    Last edited by web_res; 06-24-2002 at 03:52 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey your site seems back up
      0 Not allowed!

yeah its all back up, I am wondering how it came, maybe he saw my emails. I will keep you updated, 56 emails.. oh boy
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast