* Good Experience with PolurNet

A while ago I was looking for a host with PHP5 so that I could start a site with the latest version of MediaWiki. Another WHT member suggested PolurNet, and pointed me to his own website which was running MediaWiki.

After much deliberation and uncertainty of who to choose (I must say several other hosts who have staff members posting here on WHT were close to getting my business) I decided that PolurNet would get my business.

There were a number of reasons for this:

1. As mentioned above, they had a server with PHP5
    2. They also had another server with Windows hosting - which I require for a project.
    3. They aren't overselling (or not overselling to the same levels) as many "low cost" hosts (but due to my several years hosting experience now, I know I don't need 10 zillion trillion GB of space or bandwidth).
    4. They had good pre-sales (then again, so do/did some other hosts

I have to say, they also are well rated on Web Hosting Jury which didn't hurt, although I don't always trust so-called "independant" sites.

Through "Geek Certified" there is access to an "indepedant" uptime report - something lacking from some companies - or some companies say "99.9% uptime" but the link to their monitor server says otherwise! (Well, PolurNet currently have an average uptime of 99.7% for 2006 and if I'm to trust close friends in the Webhosting business 99.9% is pretty much a mythical figure for various reasons - and at a "low cost" price range I think PolurNet are doing very well!) Actually, it needs to be pointed out that an "outage" from a bot monitoring a website could be for several factors beyond a website / server being down - I should know, there have been several big network outages of my ISP - so if I was monitoring my own sites, from my computer, then many sites including Google would probably be 90% uptime for the year. Likewise, the Hyperspin monitoring is for the domain www.polurnet.com ... so isn't reflective of all servers or individual websites.

Okay, so I've been with PolurNet for just over a month. This isn't long to build a relationship, but first impressions are important, and beyond this, the true test of a relationship are how things are dealt with if and when a problem arises. So has a problem arisen? The answer is yes... so read on.

PolurNet moved my sites (and many other customer sites) to a new server, with better specs. Due to a number of factors this lead to one of my sites stopping working for a time - the one with MediaWiki. I was a little dismayed at this, and got rather grumpy, as one might imagine. Partly as some of my previous hosts have been less than helpful (if they respond at all to problems/complaints) I was thinking that PolurNet may be the same... To my surprise, and despite my angry emails, Anand and the team went the extra mile to get my site back up an running. Yes, it took some time. But I am only one customer, and this was a third party application, so it would have been easy for a webhost to say "sorry, check the maintainers website for help" (after all MediaWiki is not part of Fantastico provided by PolurNet). In fact a lot of time and effort went in to assisting me get my site back up and running.

I feel that I was treated like an important customer, and that Anand put in 150% effort to ensure that my site was back up and running as soon as possible (and I know he spent many more hours than most webhost would be willing to do! And some customizing of scripts was required to get the site back to looking the way it was, something that is undocumented on the MediaWiki website) - Thanks Anand!

As such, I'm quite happy to recommend PolurNet. Their helpdesk (support) has been very prompt and helpful. Apart from the above incident (which was a little out of the ordinary), any (minor) fixes have been done right the first time, and within the 6 hour maximum response time.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Very nice review, thank you for sharing your experience with us! It's good to hear that you've found the perfect host for yourself, keep us updated in the future

Thanks for an interesting review. Hope you'll never have any issues with your host.

Thanks for the review and for verifying that you're a client via the helpdesk.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

and if I'm to trust close friends in the Webhosting business 99.9% is pretty much a mythical figure for various reasons
    I must be living a myth then. I'd like to hear those reasons regardless.
    I feel that I was treated like an important customer, and that Anand put in 150% effort to ensure that my site was back up and running as soon as possible (and I know he spent many more hours than most webhost would be willing to do! And some customizing of scripts was required to get the site back to looking the way it was, something that is undocumented on the MediaWiki website) - Thanks Anand!
    Glad to hear you got the help that you needed, and let's hope that their business model is scalable enough to allow them to maintain that kind of service level even when they'll be 10 times larger than they're now.

Smile Thanks!

Hey Graeme,

What is a pleasant surprise, thank you! It has been a pleasure helping you

Just to clarify, the Geekcertified Hyperspin uptime reports monitor once every hour, so it's quite inaccurate by GC's own accord if you ask them. For example, http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/PolurNET.html reports 99.9%+ uptime (seems to monitor every 20 mins?), and our SiteUptime 5-min monitors have even higher uptime values.

In reality, since the uptime of our main website, polurnet.com, does not necessarily correlate with any of the customer accounts located on our multiple servers, this is not the same uptime as the others. In fact, most of our other servers have gone without a need for reboot for over 150 days (like 'Helicase' server) partly due to our unique clustered/global nameserver network.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Glad to hear you got the help that you needed, and let's hope that their business model is scalable enough to allow them to maintain that kind of service level even when they'll be 10 times larger than they're now.
    Our commitment is one-to-one personalized support, so we will make sure it never changes regardless of how much we grow; indeed, we try focusing on providing the necessary infrastructure, services and maintenance are in place to avoid any potential issues, so that the support tickets that do come by, are usually easy enough to handle by our staff

Appreciate the time you took to write your detailed review, Graeme. Best of luck in the future, and we're certain the trend will continue beyond the two months that have already passed!
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

Polurnet has been stable for me lately.
    They aren't my #1 pick, but I have a reseller account with them and am satisfied.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

Do they charge anything for changing server from unix to Windows or from Windows to Unix?

Very nice review and I'm glad your happy. Very nice work Polurnet, however on this paticular quote Im going to side on.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    let's hope that their business model is scalable enough to allow them to maintain that kind of service level even when they'll be 10 times larger than they're now.
    Most hosts out there are good until they grow big, and I hope when this company grows even bigger, they'll be just as good.

Way to go, both sides. Glad your both happy, its always nice to see people happy with their service and the provider happy with the customer. Its a win:win!

Thanks for the good read.

thanks for sharing nice detailed review..glad you are happy with the service
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

* Follow-up on Hyperspin Uptime Report

Here is the previous month's report from Hyperspin on uptime on one of my websites: www.willproject.org

To : Jan 01 2007 12:00 AM (GMT +12:00)

1. Will Project
    - uptime: 100.000%
    - downtime: 00min
    - outage: 0

I think this checked hourly, perhaps slightly more often in the first 2 weeks of the trial period - but hourly is sufficient for this project.

Cheers,
    Graeme

That is good uptime on this provider. To the OP, even though old post..glad your happy with polurnet, keep us updated.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Glad to know that you are happy with them. Personnaly I would need some more space, but it depends of what you need. Let us know if it continues to go that well.