Looking for a new reseller account again.

I need to host about 20 domains and have a monthly transfer requirement of less than 4gb per month. I have been hosting with powervps.com on a shared account and I have been very happy with them but now I have bumped into a new restriction.

I use the server to host multiple POP3 clients behind a NAT router and PowerVPS only allows me 100 POP3 signons per hour. In places where I host email for 60 users behind one IP this just isn't practical. The users want to be able to check email once every 10 or fifteen minutes and that is 360 connections per hour.

Even at home I have 4 machines, each checking 40 email accounts (4 or 5 on each domain) every 15 minutes, so when they are all on I am connecting at a rate of 160 connections per hour.

Anyone have recommendations for a reseller account.

I need WHM, Cpanel, PHP4, MySQL, Fantastico, and nice fast response. Uptime and support are also important.

It seems that with each new hosting company I run into a new restriction that I never thought of. This pop3 limit is the latest, but I am learning.

have you asked powervps to make you a deal on a managed vps?

How much space/bandwidth do you need?
    What's your budget?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

The other choice is could you install a mail server at the office which pulls everything and then pushses it out to the clients computer?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

My bandwidth requirement is under 4gb/month.

The reason I don't want to install a mail server is that I encourage my clients to not have any server in their offices. It just makes more sense to me to put the server in a real datacenter. What do I say when the client says "Why don't we run a web server on that server too?" Or even worse "Why dont we install MS Small Business Server?"

Frankly I don't understand the issue with the number of pop3 logons coming from an IP address, but that is another discussion. Would managed VPS get me around this restriction or would I face the same problem again?

Quote Originally Posted by haywardt
    My bandwidth requirement is under 4gb/month.

The reason I don't want to install a mail server is that I encourage my clients to not have any server in their offices. It just makes more sense to me to put the server in a real datacenter. What do I say when the client says "Why don't we run a web server on that server too?" Or even worse "Why dont we install MS Small Business Server?"

Frankly I don't understand the issue with the number of pop3 logons coming from an IP address, but that is another discussion. Would managed VPS get me around this restriction or would I face the same problem again?
    A VPS or dedicated would get round this problem as you would be able to set your own limits as you would have full root access. I take your point about the server and its a resonable stand point. The limit itself however is put in to stop a brute force attack on guessing username/passwords
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

They have two different limits. For invalid passwords they give 5 attempts then lock the ip out forever. This is just for checking email. You cant sign on from any particular ip more than 100 times per hour. For cases where email users are behind NAT that quickly causes a problem.

Hi,

Have you asked powervps to increase it for you?

If they are unable to do to resource issues simply obtain an VPS and you can easily configure the limitations.
    Psychz Networks - Enterprise Servers & Data Center Professionals
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Premium Server Hardware
    ★Facilities: Los Angeles, CA - Dallas, TX | Tier-4 Data Centers
    ★Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Psychz DDoS-Shield™ On-Premise Mitigation

I have had an excellent resellers service from http://www.coldmedia.co.uk ... They have cheap prices and good customer service.
    Stephen J.

Quote Originally Posted by clanosiris
    Hi,

Have you asked powervps to increase it for you?
    Yes. They told me it was "company policy" appearently handed down from God to Moses on unchangeable stone tablets

Quote Originally Posted by clanosiris
    If they are unable to do to resource issues simply obtain an VPS and you can easily configure the limitations.
    Aren't some of these rules enforced by firewalls that I might still be behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaang
    I have had an excellent resellers service from http://www.coldmedia.co.uk ... They have cheap prices and good customer service.
    Does the location and the currency make any difference? I am in the US. Are response times equivalent to a US host or are the servers distributed?

My suggestion would be to talk with the great people over at H9. These guys/gals are on top of their game with some top-notch support. Honestly - they just keep getting better and better.

HostNine.com

Quote Originally Posted by haywardt
    Does the location and the currency make any difference? I am in the US. Are response times equivalent to a US host or are the servers distributed?
    If your based in the US, you may want to get a US based provider. However if you have your mind on a UK or overseas provider, if their speeds are good (as in tracert or ping) than go for it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I use http://www.kualo.com and they have great service.

Not the cheapest but they are rock solid.

I've had some BAD hosts in the past but thanks to WHT I found KUALO about four years ago.
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    My suggestion would be to talk with the great people over at H9. These guys/gals are on top of their game with some top-notch support. Honestly - they just keep getting better and better.

HostNine.com
    I second HostNine.com
    They have honestly put up with alot from me already. They have great support and great service.
    Give the sales team a call or an email. (they will answer any questions)