Hosting Recommendations for a Social Network?

Im opening a new social network, and I'm not sure what type of hosting I should choose for the project and what to look for in a hosting company. Im not expecting it to take off right away; I guess I'd be lucky to have 100 active members in the first few months. Do you guys have any suggestions? Im not sure I could get away with regular shared hosting, Im thinking about VPS or should I go all out for a dedicated server? Any input is appreciated!

Do you have an idea of what software are you going to use? or what kind of script?
    Are the 100 members going to be online at the same time at any point?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If money is not an issue and you have confidence that your network will grow fast, then going for a dedicated server isn't such a bad idea. That way IF you're on a shared account, your network grows and you think it's time, you don't have to waste any time moving your files over to a server.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Talking

Dear NotoriousKIM,

I don't believe it matters how you approach this question, as for any startup community a shared hosting plan is your best bet. Keep in mind you can always upgrade at a later time, no need to throw money away now on somthing you will not use.

As for a VPS, keep in mind that when you get a VPS, 99% of the time it does not mean you can handle more than on your shared web hosting plan, against popular belief. VPS is meant for those who need shell access to the server, to run extra programs or what not. with VPS, you just get a chunk of a lower end server with a little more access, instad of a companies shared which is a junk of really high end servers. So they equeal themselves out, performce wise.

And for dedicated server, that I would guess is a long way down the road. Most communities are fine a shared hosting plan for life, unless your like this one with ungodly amount of active members.

So i would suggets you check out the offers in the shared web hsoting forums to see if you can find a good deal. You may also wish to look around WHT to check for reviews of each company before you buy.

Also keep in mind when you are starting a community you probably wont need much space or bandwidth, so dont sell the house to get an ungodly amount of either.

Hope that helps.

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd
    I don't believe it matters how you approach this question, as for any startup community a shared hosting plan is your best bet. Keep in mind you can always upgrade at a later time, no need to throw money away now on somthing you will not use.
    I would tend to agree on that point.

will you use .Net or php. what is your budget?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Typically you want to cut costs. You don't want to pay for resources that you are not using at first correct. I would say it's safe if you start off with a simple shared hosting account and move up accordingly, to a vps then a dedicated machine.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

The script we're using is one we've had custom made for us. If I were to go with a VPS i was thinking up to $35/mo.

Thanks guys for all your input, you've really helped me a lot!

as Hostfrog said, you may want to start with an small plan and then upgrade if you need it, you never know what may happen.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

upgrading later when he's got more than 100+ active members working with his site 24/7? Do you think it'll be that easy to move all that data to a dedicated hosting with a snap of a finger?

Go for dedicated from the start. Besides, 100 active members may create quite a good load on CPU and memory if they are working actively.. Dedicated servers are quite cheap nowadays.

But of corse I maybe too radical..

as for me, start from below, start with shared plan, then when your site expand, you expand your server like move to semi-vps/vps/semi-dedi/full dedicated hosting. why I'm said like this? coz when you do like this, other financial can go to advertising/script maintainence, offer or anything else. and for sure dedicated server will be cheap day by day.