Florida Datacenter

Is there any datacenter in Florida that anyone could at least somewhat recommend?

Have you looked at: www.colo4jax.com ?

I haven't tried them but I would like to know how they are.

Jeff

Terremark is a huge datacenter in Florida.

We're talking 750,000 sq ft huge.

NAP of the Americas I believe.

I am in the process of taking a cage at CRG West/Miami Exchange. We currently have servers in the NAP of Americas.
    So far from what I've heard, Miami Exchange is an impressive facility and CRG West is putting tons of money into giving it top-class infrastructure

I will also recommend colo4jax, one thing about jax is that other like the southern areas of the state jax has only been hit by one hurricane on record.
    Linn Boyd

Colosolutions in Orlando gets my vote. Nice network, true professionals.
    *TonyAdtaq* - support [at] adtaq.com
    FAST 2.5 Gbit Cloud Storage VPS and 10 Gbit NVMe VPS @ ADTAQ VPS

Try contacting bocacom, I think they have their own DC

Try hostdime.com , they have datacenter in Florida.
    Senior Server Administrator

In Tampa:

Sago Networks http://sagonet.com
    E-Solutions http://esnet.com

We've done business with both firms. You will find Sago more in the budget price range but lots of space. E-Solutions will have a more customized and higher priced solution but the location of their datacenter being in the Lykes building (400 N Tampa skyscraper) puts you floors above the internet so no local loops, just direct fiber.

Bocacom .. 800-591-1518

10 thumbs UP!
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

http://www.napoftheamericas.net/ hosts in Miami, Florida. Its actually one of the buildings built FOR a datacenter unlike most datacenters that are located in office buildings and what not. Also the datacenter was designed to withstand cat 5 hurricanes without flooding or any damage, they also have generators with enough fuel to last a very long time in the even they did loose power.
    // Real Web Technologies, Inc. - www.rwebtech.com
    John Rodstrom - Chief Executive Officer - J.Rodstrom@rwebtech.com
    Web Design, Development & Hosting

We have a server at http://www.vortechhosting.com/colo/ and have had zero issues with it. Good reliable network. Price wasn't bad. The odd time I've needed their support they were quick to reply. I believe they are in Orlando.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

NAP of the Americas -

I got a tour of the complex thanks to my rep at Internap. The place is impressive. the interior is star trek like (the parts untli you go into the actual colo space) everything is clean and neat! lots of providers in there.

ed

speaking of data centers in florida/

does anyone know if you can get colospace in one of the bellsouth/at&T central office building?

in west palm there is an 11 story AT&T building with bellsouth having their stuff on the first two floors (i got a tour of that a while back)? the one in particular is at gardenia street the complex is called the "annex" since it was built on to the orgiginal 1920s C/O next door (no longer used). I remember seeing other providers in there at the time (like intermedia, uunet and sprint) on the ilec floor?

just wondering as it would be really handy for a potential project of mine to locate in town in that building.

ed

// jax - only one hurricane on record...

I'm a Jax native. I can remember at least Dora, Donna, and David. Many skirt the coast and do enough damage to make power unreliable.

Jeff

This is just a personal feeling...but I wouldn't house a server in FL. I would be watching the news and concerned every time a hurrican was brewing.

I am sure FL DC's have as good of uptime records as any other. I'm probably paranoid but I have enough to worry about.

yea we may have hurricanes but we can build houses and commecial buildings to withstand them all.

my townhouse in west palm with its concrete roof and some sorta of metallic siding thats shaped like tile replacing wood shingles, withstood all the hurricanes (all the units) without a dent..

the NAP in miami looks like you would need a small nuclear device to get it to crumble

Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    // jax - only one hurricane on record...

I'm a Jax native. I can remember at least Dora, Donna, and David. Many skirt the coast and do enough damage to make power unreliable.

Jeff
    What Linn was referring to is that only one hurricane on record has ever directly hit the First Coast (Jacksonville) region, which as you mentioned, was Dora. Donna and David did what so many Florida hurricanes did - cross the state and exit at Daytona, following the gulf stream, which is a safe 70 miles offshore of our coast and 85 miles away from any carrier POPs and longhaul assets. Wikipedia is (currently) a good source of information and trajectory maps for these hurricanes which confirms my statements.

Further, all of the aforementioned hurricanes were all Category 3 or smaller while in range of the first coast. Although significant in the 60s and 70s, Category 3's are of little concern these days. As for power, I'm not sure why you'd bring that up. Every facility in town (with the exception of Peak10) is fed from diverse power grids that also carry Baptist Hospital and other critical infrastructure. Although everything is underground, I suppose one might argue that a portion of the power transported in from the generating station is susceptible to wind damage from arial cabling. That's what UPS's and generators are for

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

I was merely responding to the statement regarding Jacksonville's lack of hurricanes. Jacksonville has been lucky. Ask anyone at the EOC downtown. Back in 89, a snow storm shut Jacksonville down for 3 days the weekend before Christmas. Every bridge crossing the St. Johns with the exception of Main Street were closed. Just about every service including electricity had problems. Very few companies remained operational. I would also take issue with Dora. It leveled everything on the coast between Fernandina and St. Augustine. Damage was widespread across northeast Florida. Most schools were closed for two weeks due to standing water and lack of electricity.

Jacksonville is a great place to locate but don't choose it because it doesn't get hurricanes.

I suggested colo4jax earlier in the thread due to my own research of the area. I may relocate to Jax soon. I would like to consider your facilities for several servers.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    I suggested colo4jax earlier in the thread due to my own research of the area. I may relocate to Jax soon. I would like to consider your facilities for several servers.
    Wonderful; you won't be disappointed.

I wasn't trying to minimize Dora, but rather to minimize the effect of hurricanes in modern times. DirectNIC is probably a good example, remaining online during and well after a Category 5 hurricane. If anything, I'd be more concerned about cables getting wet, rather than the actual hurricane and the direct effects thereof. Of course there are ways around that too.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.