TPs Dual Xeon 2.8GHz vs. New machines at SoftLayer

I'm thinking about new server and need your opinion about new CPU's used by SoftLayer. Currently I have Dual Xeon 2.8GHz (533MHz FSB).

What about :
    Single Processor Dual Core Xeon 5050 - 3.0 GHz (Dempsey)
    Single Processor Dual Core Xeon 5130 - 2.0 GHz (Woodcrest) - 1 x 4MB cache
    Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5310 - 1.6 GHz (Clovertown)
    Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5320 - 1.86 GHz (Clovertown) - 1 x 8MB cache

Are these much faster than those Dual Xeon 2.8GHz used by TP ?
    Especially I wonder how fast are those Quad Core Xeons

Are the Xeons you have with TP Conroes on Dell Poweregde 860? or the older models?
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

I don't know what type it is, I have machine with them for more than 1 year already.
    I have this in Orbit:
    Dell \ 1600SC Dual Xeon MB \ DAT54AMB8C2
    Intel \ 2.8 GHz 533FSB \ P4 Xeon
    Last edited by ckissi; 12-03-2006 at 05:08 PM.

The hardware quality at Softlayer is tons better than The Planet.

Thats a pretty big comment to come with... There are not many on these boards who have had hardware issues with The Planet, only support issues (and yes, i've done some throughout research on that), however, ckissi, your server is one of the old versions which the planet offers, i would get in touch with them about updating to one of the newer versions of Xeon, imo the Conroe Xeon's from totalcontrol on TP/EV1 are very nice, i got one there a few weeks ago, and it's lightning fast They work on Dell PowerEdge 860 which are very nice as well...

I have never been with SoftLayer, but from what i've read around the boards here the hardware quality is somewhat the same as TP/EV1 So, it's really up to you... A wise person said on another thread a few days ago "if you're happy with your current server, then why go through the hassle of upgrading/changing?"
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

I'm on Windows on that server and I want to move to linux, transparently of course, so if I'll move I think to get better machine. Also... Are those "Intel Xeon 3060 Dual-core Conroe processor" servers faster than one I have now ?
    Last edited by ckissi; 12-03-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Well firstly, the Quad Core's are going to beat the Dual Core's (obviously).

But since you're on a Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz and you don't seem to have too many problems, I don't think you need a quad core (yet).

I would go with the Woodcrest. Woodcrest's have huge performance gains over the Dempsey's or older Xeon's. Also, Woodcrest's won't require as much RAM as the Clovertown (you could get away with 2GB on the Woodcrest, where the Clovertown would probably need at least 4-8GB to run at peak capacity).

You could also see if Softlayer could give you a server where you could just pop in a second Woodcrest later on down the road.

Best of luck in your decision,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ckissi
    I'm on Windows on that server and I want to move to linux, transparently of course, so if I'll move I think to get better machine. Also... Are those "Intel Xeon 3060 Dual-core Conroe processor" servers faster than one I have now ?
    Quick answer: Yes... The Planet/EV1 got them just weeks ago, you can read the pressrelease here: https://www.theplanet.com/index.html...sRelease&pr=53

Agreed with adb btw, however i'm not 100% sure on woodcrest vs Conroe, but i do think Conroe wins... (don't kill me if i've heard wrong )

I wanted 15K SCSI drives , seems that TP no longer offers them

Quote Originally Posted by Ks Jeppe
    Quick answer: Yes... The Planet/EV1 got them just weeks ago, you can read the pressrelease here: https://www.theplanet.com/index.html...sRelease&pr=53

Agreed with adb btw, however i'm not 100% sure on woodcrest vs Conroe, but i do think Conroe wins... (don't kill me if i've heard wrong )
    Just to confirm, you're saying that the single processor is better then his two older duals?

sry for that, no, i meant TP's Xeon 3060 Dual-core Conroe vs SL's Xeon 5130 Dual-core Woodcrest I think... Meh, i got myself all confused now, sry