Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

US currency discriminates against the blind

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15940087/

im speechless

(and thats not a good thing)
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Thats a good move, I applaud the decision.

Blind people also use money, make it fair and square.

Wow imagine we get those large bills that take my entire pockets space

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

by printing money that all looks and feels the same
    First off, why is color being argued when the blind clearly cannot see?

With no intentions to sound rude, but how are blind people going to know what they're buying even with money made for them? Blind people cannot see every product they order, or the price tag on these products.
    Last edited by sgarbus; 11-29-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Steve, you forget that blind people have incredibe touch, smell, and hearing senses.

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBm4KoWsrY&eurl=

Sure, it will be harder for them, but with a little help I'm quite sure they are able to do pretty much anything.

Even if some blind people are unable to shop, I still don't think we should make currency harder to use for those who can shop.

This is a great move imo.

I have to say I'm at a loss as to why color is being discussed.

No one is speaking about color..

The looks the same -> Size
    That Feels the same -> Material

Where is color mentioned?

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Blind doesn't always mean fully blind. A lot of people are severely impaired, but can make out shapes and blocks of colour.

And what about blind people that are clever enough to ask someone next to them how much something is!!
    Steve

To be classified as blind does not require a complete lack of sight.

Many who are "blind" can see something. Some colors, bright light or big objects.

“Of the more than 180 countries that issue paper currency, only the United States prints bills that are identical in size and color in all their denominations,”

Reading that again, it seems they were just stating it as a fact, rather than saying the color is a problem for the visually impaired.

Thumbs up

I saw put Braile on the bills so they can read them that way

Next they will be complaining about "In god we trust" on money (Which i am very surprised they havent yet!!)

This is a good thing though,it wont cost too much to add braile to $$$ and it will allow them to identify bills easier.......

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

And the response from one of the group that represent blind people's interests is very appropriate, the guy said we should be more concerned that they're unemployed and don't have money to begin with rather than the way money is shaped.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

I wonder what are these countries with currencies not discriminating against the blind? i coudn't think of any...Maybe, I just haven't noticed...

Will it be convenient for other people to use banknotes of different size?

Or it could be some special banknotes only for the blind?

what a waste of tax payer money. You rarely need cash in today's society just give thema debit card.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    With no intentions to sound rude, but how are blind people going to know what they're buying even with money made for them? Blind people cannot see every product they order, or the price tag on these products.
    I have no idea how they know what to buy, all I know is that when I was young in my country, there were blind that use to go to my parents store, they were able to shop it seems that they have good memory and simply know how much a product could cost, and they were able to easily open their wallet and choose the money to pay, ofcourse all bills there have a different size depending of the value plus they have engraved the number.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

I've seen more than ons documentary on blind people, including one that focused on this very subject. The blind man could differentiate the denominations because there are variances in the raised ink. take a newer bill out and softly run your fingers over it. There are definitely noticeable variations. He could do it with somewhat old bills also.

Course that gets lost over time with wear and tear, but i find it a bit ridiculous that we should revamp the entire monetary printing system including different shapes for this one reason.

There are also computers for the blind. But did we change the way we make computers for that? of course not.

I do not believe for a second that other countries have different shaped/sized currency becuase blind people can detect it. So keep the America bashing at bay, or at least find something credible to argue about.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

I wonder what are these countries with currencies not discriminating against the blind?
    Every country I've ever been too has nice colourful notes of different sizes (look up pound sterling notes for example). http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...rent/index.htm

Will it be convenient for other people to use banknotes of different size?
    Never had a problem with it here.
    Steve

What differences in size does Canadian paper money have?

Canada's arent different sizes, but they're different bright colors.
    --

What difference would color mean to a blind person?

This is my point. We aren't the only ones.

Did you miss the posts which talk about visually impaired people and not 100% blind people?
    Steve

Nope I didn't. but now we're only suppose to help the blind that can still slightly see and that's not discriminatory to the totally blind? so let's solve a portion of the problem and leave the rest so that we can still whine discrimination

This is incredibly stupid.

well, what is next is that the mexicans will demand that we start printing money in spanish!

i am not necessarily opposed to making it easier for blind people to spend money, but honestly, like someone here said, use a debit card.

it is unrealistic to think that we can/should accommodate every single group of "different" people.

im surprised that gays havent demanded their own currency since the leaders who are on the currency now did not support the gay movement... lemme see... who would they have pictured on the bills.... ellen, liberace, george michael, rosie odonnell, doogie howser...

good grief!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

All it requires is printing some colour or raising parts of the notes with more ink. Hardly the most difficult thing in the world. Everyone else does it without moaning!

And why you need to bring "the gays" into it I don't know!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    What differences in size does Canadian paper money have?
    Canadian banknotes have raised bumps, allowing the blind to determine the value of the note.
    Image at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    well, what is next is that the mexicans will demand that we start printing money in spanish!

i am not necessarily opposed to making it easier for blind people to spend money, but honestly, like someone here said, use a debit card.

it is unrealistic to think that we can/should accommodate every single group of "different" people.

im surprised that gays havent demanded their own currency since the leaders who are on the currency now did not support the gay movement... lemme see... who would they have pictured on the bills.... ellen, liberace, george michael, rosie odonnell, doogie howser...

good grief!
    LOL!

I swear i am at the point where i can tell who is a republican and who is not.

We are not trying to accommodate every group. That is not going to happen. What we are saying is that the blind need to be able to use money. Debit cards won't work because many small stores don't take them or require minium purchases. I think it is a great idea to change the money so we can help the blind.

I applaude this move. The blind need to be able to distinguish it! Plus it will probably help against counterfeit currency as well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast