how much would it cost to build a data center

Just out of question how much would it cost to build a data centre? Im not saying that im thinking of building one as i could no way afford it without borrowing a hell of a lot of money from a bank. I just wanted an idea of the cost. i presume it would cost a couple of million at least. Any ideas?

It depends on the scale of the DC, location, existing infrastructure, who's managing it , facilities etc...

A large one, will cost a lot more than a couple of million..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Well
    You have to own the building before you can make the necessary changes
    You will need air conditioning, redundant power and multiple connections to internet
    So we are looking at a few million british pound if we were to open a new datacenter in UK

You don't have to own the building, you could build the building, but there are lots of things to consider.

I would start at $250,000.00 and then go up from there. If you were in an area like I am you would want to start at $500,000+ due to fiber costs.

I think the most expensive is the running cost of the datacenter ... If I have 10million, I will then consider building a datacenter in Singapore
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Building your own small-scale datacenter these days may not be as economical as taking a cage in a good datacenter.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

You could really run a mini one from home for a couple of thousand. Thats how we started out (cymraegwaleshosting.co.uk) we no own 2 80U racks in a DC. It cost about 4000 set up (about $8000) We got a spare room in my house. Got a 1:1 leased line to the internet. Had a small power generater and a air conditioned room. We were able to 2 have 30U custom built racks. we were able to have about 20 servers there. The only reason why we moved into a DC was becasue of the limiting 48mbit connection.

I am always so intrigued by the guys who started out as hosting their own servers at home. It's just such a nice idea to have that someone could start out so small and grow so big.
    The most effective way to host your site

I think the cost for building a 5000 square feet datacentre in Singapore is about S$4 million according to one of the operators of IDCs here. Running is costly, I think best to have some large funds slashed somewhere for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tanfwc
    I think the most expensive is the running cost of the datacenter ... If I have 10million, I will then consider building a datacenter in Singapore

Start off renting office space and such. Cost as low as $500 (for the space, offices, rooms, air, security, ect.).

Then of course the rest depends on the wages you pay your staff, the types of servers you buy, the ISPs you use, ect. ect.
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

That's like asking "How much to build a house?". The answer would be: Are you building a shack or are you building a mansion? Now, apply that to your "datacenter" question.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    Building your own small-scale datacenter these days may not be as economical as taking a cage in a good datacenter.
    Exactly. Maybe when you've filled a few cages, your own suite, then look to building your own facility. You might even be able to build it debt free, or have the cashflow to fund what you needed to borrow.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I've been wanting to do a data center on a condominium basis for years.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce
    I've been wanting to do a data center on a condominium basis for years.
    What do you mean by that?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    What do you mean by that?
    exactly my question
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Actually it would be a very smart move. Build a data center with multiple Condos in it that you then sell out to various companies.

Each company owns there own "DataCenter Condo" and lowers your overall costs for the building and the portion of it you want.

Pretty smart idea.

Building a new data center is well is extremely expensive. You will end up paying about $500-$1000 per square foot all-in.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    Actually it would be a very smart move. Build a data center with multiple Condos in it that you then sell out to various companies.
    Plenty of carrier neutral datacenters already do this. You give them your specifications, and they'll build out a small DC suite for you in the building that has access to their power and cooling infrastructure. Examples would be a building like the Infomart in Dallas, or One Wilshire in LA.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    Plenty of carrier neutral datacenters already do this. You give them your specifications, and they'll build out a small DC suite for you in the building that has access to their power and cooling infrastructure. Examples would be a building like the Infomart in Dallas, or One Wilshire in LA.
    Actually they don't. You still "LEASE" it from them.

What a DC Condo system you would purchase that part of the building from the corporation that owns it instead.

A lot depends on location too. You're in the UK so within the M4/M25 corridor (where bandwidth is more readily available at sensible prices), you'll get wasted on space costs. Outside of this, space is definitely cheaper but bandwidth is more expensive.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Hi all

That's like asking "How much to build a house?". The answer would be: Are you building a shack or are you building a mansion? Now, apply that to your "datacenter" question.

--Tina
    Lol, true.

Well I went to the Equinix Data Centre website (The Data Centre I use) and I got this from their Los Angeles Data Centre press report:

The new center was originally built-out in 2001 at an estimated cost of $80 million. Equinix intends to invest approximately $15.0 million of capital expenditures to upgrade the center to Equinix standards, of which $4.0 to $7.0 million is expected to be incurred in 2005. Equinix intends to open the new center for customers in mid-2006.
    So that is how much a majestic mansion would cost - I am, however, unable to give figures for a shack, though

- RavenServers
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Its all about location and Quantity.

You could build a cheapo datacenter for $10k
    You could build a really awesome one for 100M
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

at the end of the day it really depends on how much you are willing to pay. We started out with an old 80GIG compaq desktop computer connected to a 512k connection. This was perfect when we knew the people when we produced website for them. We then got a dell server put that ontop of my table in a spare from connected to a 2mb connection. Then another server and so on. We then decided to go colo in a DC.

Thanks,
    Nathaniel

cymraegwaleshosting.com

A REAL datacenter is going to cost around 100-200 million. This would be a 200,000+/- sqft datacenter.

The building itself will cost about 50-100 million to build then you need another 100 million in datacenter "stuff" ie. chillers, generators, water tower, fire protection systems, AHUs, tons of electrical equipment, server racks, servers, routers, switches. I think you get the point

You need at least two of everything for each data floor. So if you have 2 data floors you will need 4 of everything....that is if redundancy is important to you.
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    I would agree with this. Even though alot of you are thinking about all the good points. There is still much much much more to factor in when thinking about building a datacenter. I would say go with a reputable carrier hotel and purchase colo space until you grow out of it. Then again, how would you grow out of a carrier hotel. First off, you would need to speak to a builder in the first place...and a builder who builds DC's. That should give you an idea of what it all entails.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina

--Tina
    Couldnt have stated it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Exactly. Maybe when you've filled a few cages, your own suite, then look to building your own facility.
    We did the numbers earlier this year and decided it's still not worth it. We're at about 500 servers here in San Jose (24 racks, all full) and it's still not cost-effective to build out a DC ourselves. We would have needed to invest about $10M to run the power density we need. So we said "no". I doubt it will be profitable to run your own datacenter here in the Bay Area until your company is at about $5M/year in revenue or more, unless you want to take an "as-is" one and run lower power densities (15-20A/rack, not the 40-60A/rack we need.)

-Erica
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!