Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many thumb drives have you lost/killed?

My running total since those suckers came on the market is 7.

Four of them were lost. Those suckers are hard to keep track of if you can't put them on a keychain. Plus I lost one when I was using a computer without front USB ports in public. Just walked away forgetting about it.

One of them I put in the same pocket as a hard drive magnet. Bad idea.

Another I put through the wash, but it survived. However, I forgot to dry it. So when I plugged it in, it permanently shorted both the USB port and the drive.

The last one got run over by a car. Don't ask how it happened. It just did.

Mine all seem to keep surviving.

I have a few that keep getting replaced with larger models. I may not own a flash drive that hasn't been through the wash at least once!

So far the count is 1 & 1, 1 lost and 1 dead.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Three.

Two washed -- one sat on.
    AS395558

Never Not lost no killed

havent ever had one but am "expecting" a 4GB one in December I told my wife, "this is what I want for Christmas" , we'll see if she got the hint

I do use one at the office but it never leaves the computer
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Never really needed one even though I thought about it sometimes. I always carry a floppy or have my 300gb external hd with me .

I lost three in 2 months.... then I got one that was 4GB when first came out.... almost lost it, So I put it in my key chain and never lost it since.... Keychain really works.
    if you think about it, you would not wash it, cannot drive on it, if you sit on it the keys will get you up.... lastly, if you lose it, you will be in the same location as you cannot find your car keys, and if you cannot find your car keys you have a bigger problem and more than one person would look for your car keys.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

None... they are all around here someplace.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Never killed one but I'm sure there is one at the datacenter that I've left on a shelf or rack somewhere
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

I found one at a public place, Mmm never used that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynu Douglas
    Three.

Two washed -- one sat on.
    I've never really owned a flash drive that would break if sat on. How cheap was that thing?

Broken 2 in about 3 years. Still got one going strong!
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

I'm a newbie to these cuties, so my one and only is still sitting here by the computer, but this thread reminded me why I purchased it.

*starts copying files!

Hi!

I lost one! Then, I bought a new one. Luckily, for the 2nd one, I lost only the cover. Haha! It is a good idea to put it on a keychain.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Can't you get these free somewhere? I used to see ads all the time for free thumb drives, but I haven't seen them in a while.

*wants one*

None all seems to be in good order

none still have the 64mb when it came out, got a 8gig one now <3<3
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I lost the same one around 4 times but luckily managed to recover it each time. Now got a bigger one and not forgot it as of yet.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

One of mine died. Honest, I didn't do anything to it.... it just died.

Took it back and got a nice new one
    Sean

Well, I got 6 at the moment, and have had 10. I washed one, dropped one in my glass of coke, demolished one playing football(fell out my pocket and stood on it) and the final one decided he wanted to play hide and seek around 3 months ago - stupid 2gig ones are good at this game...still cant find it

Regards,
    Liam Studham

I never lose these things... too much sensitive data on it. I'd kill myself before I lost it. I love these titanium sandisk ones but they don't come in a 4 gig size yet which is absurd!

http://www.fotoobchod.cz/images/imps507460.gif

If you crush this one by sitting on it you must bigger than a freakin elephant

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I love these titanium sandisk]
    Watch out for those, When i worked for a my school district, they gave those to us techs, and teachers. They would not get detected by the xp, after a month or so. With everyday use.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

damier,

Were those on dell computers? And on how many of those did this happen? I only heard of such issues if using a dell for some strange reason. Which really blows because I plan on getting a dell when vista comes out.

I don't own any sandisks... I have the ocz rally ones except I really love and prefer the sandisk design because of the retractable usb.

The sony one is nice as well but only comes in 2 gig. I'm picky about the design of the flash drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Were those on dell computers? And on how many of those did this happen?

Yes they were....

We sent back over 500, when i worked there. XP Would say they were corrupt. These were the 1GB model.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast