"403 Forbidden" when I try to go to a folder with 755

The folder is according to my FTP program chmod 755 but still when I visit the directory though the web browser it gives me the error "403 Forbidden". When I try to change the chmod in my FTP program I get the error "550 SITE CHMOD command failed.". What can the problem be? Yesturday I could get access to that folder with the MRTG graphs and today, just "403 Forbidden". What can have happened?

Best Regards
    Oskar R

What does your apache error logs say? Is there an index.html or index.php file there? Sometimes you may get that error if there is no default page there.

Your web provider might be blocking indexes this would cause this, upload a index.php as dexxtreme suggested, that should identify what the problem is, if that works ask your provider to unblock indexes, or look through your cpanel usually an option in there

might be blocking indexing in .htaccess

Who own the folder?
    It seems like an ownership problem, could it be that this folder was created by an script, and therefore owned by nobody.nobody?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

might be a server error i would contact your administrator

I'm the server administrator : ) and I don't know so no point of asking.. it's an unmanaged server without any control panel... but I havn't had any problems with anything until this MRTG directory started giving denied errors when I try to visit it though http...
    There is a index page and the folder isn't created by a script but by me manually.
    I havn't checked the apache error log because I havn't found it but I'll check and see if I find any information about it on the net.

Regards /Oskar

Southern California
    Try making each directory in the path to your directory chmod 755.

I have seen instances where apache wants EVERY directory to have world permisions 711 or 755.