Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling all ex-sonataweb.net customers

Dear All,

As we all know Sonataweb.net was a great host until Terry (the owner) sold the company and left.

Sonataweb, especially Terry spoiled each of their customers with excellent support and services. This created a kind of benchmark in service standards and still I can't forget that.

I really think whosoever selected sonata at that time (2004~2005) will now require a real good host to be satisfied.

I would be really interested to know their(ex-sonata client's) existing host that they have selected after sonataweb. I really think whosoever selected sonata at that time (2004~2005) will now require a real good host to be satisfied.

And I am sure that your new host will be having something to meet your expectations and satisfy your needs.

Come and share your existing host and your experience with that host.

Let me start:

Host(s) after sonata:

budgetreseller.com

Comment: Kind of very happy to find them, very stable and good host. Excellent support, always there to help you. Able to meet my expectations.

duportonline.com

Comment: New find, but am satisfied with resources and support. Current deal is value for money and that is good for me. Only concern: Though host is present at WHT, but his activity are bit limited. For sure that doesn't raise any issue/concern on their capability as host.

Next person please share their host post sonataweb..
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

I've been unofficially summoned to this thread.

As your former leader though, I can recommend a few different hosts who I strived to be when I ran SonataWeb. Several I have used in the past, or I'm using now.

BlueWho.Com/HTTPme.Com - Steven runs an excellent operation over there. No doubt he'll be able to treat you just as good as I did.

HostMaven.Com - I recently posted a review of them. Great as well. I'm sure Tyler will be happy to be helping you again, this time under his wing.

Cernax.Com - If you're looking for a shared host, Ankit will serve your needs with no problem.

Hello Terry, we miss you! Should you come back to the industry as a host, let us know ^_~

As I said in my post, I have been spoiled by Sonataweb when ran by Terry. Everything worked, and any problems worked on until solved. No canned response, not left hanging. Sonataweb+Terry as a benchmark is quite hard to top!

Amongst the criteria hosts must have include:

- The usual criteria, uptime, professionalism in website, support provided

And the extras that we all like to have but now feels every host should give:

- Friendly support where you dont get canned response. You feel special and valued!
    - Credibility that leads to trust. Hosts are transparent, no hidden anything.
    - Host should have a presence in WHT, at least in reviews by honest objective clients

I wish Terry in the best in everything =)

As for me: After Sonataweb, I joined Innohosting. The reason why I chose them was:

- The owner had a lot of contribution in WHT
    - There was no bad reviews about Innohosting in WHT and the one review was good and of a long-time customer (1 year plus).
    - A lot of support channels (helpdesk, forums, emails, PMs)
    - Uptime stats from here showing 100% uptime since monitored in December 2005!!
    - Up to date cPanel and extras such as ImageMagick, up to date Fantastico

My experience, just to share:
    - Signup process was good. A little hiccup but handled well.
    - No file transfer to be done. So only my side to upload sites
    - No complaints until now, because I need minimal support (been using reseller hosting since 2002. Stuff I can't do myself such as like only if server down, adding more space/transfer or really technical stuff or billing)

All in all, good experience so far ^_^ I hope IH keeps it up!
    dragonbond.com

edit: Sonataweb also initiated queries on any file transfer to be done. Two thumbs up!
    dragonbond.com

Sonataweb was indeed a disaster, they still even send me billing emails.

I went with www.qoozz.com and have been very impressed so far.

Andrew

Andrew, me too. I received the "Your account is due in 5 days" reminder just a few days ago. Crazy.
    dragonbond.com

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius

As your former leader though, I can recommend a few different hosts who I strived to be when I ran SonataWeb. Several I have used in the past, or I'm using now.

BlueWho.Com/HTTPme.Com - Steven runs an excellent operation over there. No doubt he'll be able to treat you just as good as I did.

HostMaven.Com - I recently posted a review of them. Great as well. I'm sure Tyler will be happy to be helping you again, this time under his wing.

Cernax.Com - If you're looking for a shared host, Ankit will serve your needs with no problem.
    Hi Terry,

Trust you are doing good. Really miss you a lot..

I read your review on hostmaven, and am really impressed. Seems like, I am going to be Tyler's new customer.
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Didn`t Tyler used to work your support desk Terry? The name sounds familiar that`s all.

Quote Originally Posted by mesobob
    The name sounds familiar that`s all.
    See here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=84922
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen
    Oh right

I just thought I remembered a Tyler answering tickets during my Sonataweb stint last year.

As for hosts, I`ve been around the block so to speak several times. After Sonataweb I got myself a semi-dedicated server with Bliksem. It was fantastic for several months, until the problems started much the same that everyone else has reported. I wouldn`t touch them even if they offered me a lifetime of free hosting!!

I have accounts at two different providers, and I`m happy with them both.

Dotable: I have a reseller account with them. No issues whatsoever. Bob and Steve are extremely friendly, and always willing to go take that extra step to help. It`s so good, I almost forget who my host is!

PowerVPS: I have both a reseller and VPS with them. Nothing more can be said, both accounts are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by mesobob
    ...I just thought I remembered a Tyler answering tickets during my Sonataweb stint last year.
    You did

I worked for Synergy Blue LLC. for a few months, and due to some issues I left that position a bit ago. Sadly, I can't match WHT username to SonataWeb customer, but I certainly do remember a lot of names. Fantastic bunch of customers, and it was really sad to be leaving that position but unfortunately I was without a real choice to.

Andrew, me too. I received the "Your account is due in 5 days" reminder just a few days ago. Crazy.
    It's scary to see these billing issues unresolved like this. I hope you guys made sure the money won't leave your accounts.

I couldn't do anything for October (I assumed the Billing section will handle it as they promised 2 months free due to the server hack aka October and November) but I got charged anyway. I reminded them about the promise and wanted a refund of it. But nope. So I unsubscribed the Paypal subscription. Even though I got the reminder that the account is due, the money doesnt leave my account.
    dragonbond.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    You did

I worked for Synergy Blue LLC. for a few months, and due to some issues I left that position a bit ago. Sadly, I can't match WHT username to SonataWeb customer, but I certainly do remember a lot of names. Fantastic bunch of customers, and it was really sad to be leaving that position but unfortunately I was without a real choice to.
    yeah sonatawas fun , ath the beggining, but at some point ppl were forced to bail out, i was among first who disappeared. had 2 hosts from that time:

dathorn.com - very happy with their service ( but is for a bit more experienced ppl )

dotable.com - my current host, everything is great there too.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinlulek - my linkedIn profile
    webdeveloper for hire - XHTML, CSS3 PYTHON ,PostgreSQL, Ajax & Javascript, I build apps with Pyramid/Pylons Web frameworks using dojo toolkit for js work

I went with SYN Hosting and Budget Reseller afer Sonata. So far, so good.

I was a sonataweb customer for just over a year. I was very happy with the service Terry provided. It's too bad the new owner couldn't provide the same level of service. After reading about the problems others were having, I knew it was time to look elsewhere before I started to have problems too. So glad I did! I signed up with budgetreseller.com 5 months ago and I'm very pleased with the service that Greg and his staff provides. Support is awesome and no canned replies....they usually respond within 30 minutes too

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius

Terry impressed me with his energy, knowledge, and business approach when I decided to initially host with him but after that I got busy with other matters and I did not pay attention when he sold Sonataweb. To be honest, I did not have any problems even after he left. After going maybe a year without a support ticket I recently lodged one looking for spam related help with one of my domains. When I went to Sonataweb.net to check on the ticket I was surprised to find the site had been taken down except for a phone number. Andy at SynergyBlue did get back to me on the support ticket but by then I had already signed up with HostMaven. I did not have time to go shopping. I was glad to find this thread and glad that Terry had weighed in on the discussion.

Support at HostMaven has been tremendous during the transition, response times were immediate. I asked for more help than I would have otherwise because the site is just a hobby for me and my real job does not allow me the time to invest. However, I still have a couple clients that would suffer with any downtime so I felt I had to get something accomplished in a hurry. The whole thing went rather seamlessly and Tyler et. al. came through in spades.

To say the least, I'm a little concerned about the future of this company (Sonataweb / SynergyBlue) after reading this thread.

I have 1 reseller account with them, and since reading this thread, I am now hunting for a new service provider, strictly because I'm worried that they will totally disappear without notice and leave me high and dry.

I have full backups of all the sites I host, I do it on a regular basis in fact.

I haven't experienced any major downtime (maybe 1/2 hour in a year), server performance is great, all my customers are happy, and I was happy that I had found what I thought was a reliable host.

In fact, the service that I have received when I asked questions has been answered promptly and to my satisfaction.

In fact, I purchased a separate reseller account for a customer of mine, had absolutely no issues cancelled, none of the "billing" issues I've read about ....

However, I now feel that I must change to another host, simply to find someone that's more "stable", and to give me peace of mind once again!

Interesting to say the least!!

Just to reclarify again, my billing issue was because they did not entertain my refund request and did not complete their side of cancellation, hence the continued billing reminders in my inbox. However, if SynergyBlue has completed your cancellation, it would've been fine.
    dragonbond.com

Its really great to note that all ex-Sonata guests have found pretty good and decent hosts for themeselves.

Just to update I have signed with hostmaven.com also and am very excited. Will post my review on all my three hosts in time to come.

So to tally the score, here we stand on people's choices post Sonataweb:

Budgetreseller - 3
    Hostmaven - 3
    Dotable - 2
    Dathorn - 1
    Duportonline - 1
    Innohosting - 1
    qoozz - 1
    PowerVPS - 1
    SYN Hosting - 1

Good show leaders ..
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

I'm looking at a VPS on Hostmaven too and will let you know how it goes if I do sign up
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

I would like to thank the community here, after reading this post, I did switch.

And in the last 3 - 4 days I've picked up some of my own customers who was dealing with Andy @ SynergyBlue.

Apparently, their servers have been down for some time, no contact, not answering their phone, no support tickets being acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by geekie246
    I would like to thank the community here, after reading this post, I did switch.

And in the last 3 - 4 days I've picked up some of my own customers who was dealing with Andy @ SynergyBlue.

Apparently, their servers have been down for some time, no contact, not answering their phone, no support tickets being acknowledged.
    So where have you moved?
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

haha, strange. i had never noticed sonataweb being sold. my site hosted on sonataweb is still running! and i've had no problems thus far.. guess i've been living under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen
    So where have you moved?
    For most of my sites that I had with SonataWeb, I moved to a reseller account here with the local Telco company (Aliant). We have entered into a strategic partnership and I had a few connections inside the company which threw me some business from my consulting company as hosting is only a small portion of my business.

I recently did pick up a new reseller account with LaneHost and have to say, I'm very impressed with what they offer, their dedication to support and service. I'm blown away by Derrick and his team!

I still maintain a reseller account with HiyaCorp who had been sold to Ambient Solutions. We had some hiccups but in working with Kash & Fred, these appear to have been ironed out and things have improved greatly there.

I did just notice that if you go to:

www.secretservers.biz ... it may shed some light as to why Andy appears to have disappeared!

It's definitely not good there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ALee
    haha, strange. i had never noticed sonataweb being sold. my site hosted on sonataweb is still running! and i've had no problems thus far.. guess i've been living under a rock.
    The writing IS on the wall with SonataWeb & SynergyBlue.

As I've said .. check out www.secretservers.biz ... it will give you an idea of what is actually going on!

hmm, guess i should switch hosts soon!

hmm, guess i should switch hosts soon!
    I think I would make it a priority!!!

:-)

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by geekie246
    I think I would make it a priority!!!

:-)

But that's just me.
    lol, yeah.

i'm looking for one right now! i just wasn't aware of what was happening, and i haven't needed to contact support for a few months now, so i haven't experiences any service problems.

lol, yeah.

i'm looking for one right now! i just wasn't aware of what was happening, and i haven't needed to contact support for a few months now, so i haven't experiences any service problems.
    I just purchased one for another venture I started .. using LaneHost.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the service. Blows me away actually!

I see that Andy must have awakened from his sleep.

LOL!

One of his servers is back to life right now.

Yup for sure, you are far deep below rock.. have my advice run run run...

There are plenty of good hosts that can help you..

All the best!
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Which company bought Sonataweb and made all of you customers so miserable? Looks like the web site has completely disappeared and it only displays a message to call a number for assistance. Looks like whomever bought it had no idea what they were doing and sunk the ship pretty badly.

SynergyBlue bought it.

They have there servers under the secretservers.biz domain name. Check out www.secretservers.biz to see some more about why this company has sunk pretty deep.

I hadn't heard of the sale until I stumbled on this thread and another one way back and I bailed.

I thought that Sonataweb was a great company when I had initially signed up. The old owner (Terry) ran a great operation. The owner that bought it (Andy Wu) sank it.

The thing being, I never had any issues but when I read these threads, I got concerned, jumped ship!!!

Boy am I glad that I did.

I went ahead and bought my own deditcated.

BTW: All the accounts are recoverable. I can get the email to the NOC that has them backed up. Let me know if you want it.

I'm going to move to budgetresller.com

hope to move hosts this week

damn, i'm glad i didn't miss this thread!

Well, Andy sweet-talked me last October when it took 12hrs to get a server back up (supposedly the GNAX guys couldn't get a motherboard that worked), and in late Feb his support was decent.
    Now I don't know if it's looking worse or looking 'the same'
    After 4 days, the Ticket system isn't emailing out (his 'support' phone is disconnected), with my server pinging and that's about it.
    GNAX still has 3 racks for Synergy Blue's servers down there. Or maybe 3 racks of empty space.

So here's a hundred if someone can get a drive yanked out of GNAX for me, unless I just need to wait the normal 2 weeks.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ergo View Post
    yeah sonatawas fun , ath the beggining, but at some point ppl were forced to bail out, i was among first who disappeared. had 2 hosts from that time:

dathorn.com - very happy with their service ( but is for a bit more experienced ppl )

dotable.com - my current host, everything is great there too.
    So, are you still with Dathorn?

What do you mean "but is for a bit more experienced ppl" ?
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

What do you mean "but is for a bit more experienced ppl" ?
    I guess it means they're not specializing in hand holding. Andrew himself once stated that their service is probably not the best choice for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I guess it means they're not specializing in hand holding. Andrew himself once stated that their service is probably not the best choice for newbies.
    That may be true since the person who directed me to them to consider was and is experienced in Reseller Services.

So, I guess if you have been doing this for sometime and know how to setup and function with WHM, cPanel, and VPS settings you may find them a good choice..
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast