Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* 1and1 or godaddy?

I might choose one of them to setup my multi-websites. Does anybody have experience with their multi website feature? Here are their ads.

1and1
    http://faq.1and1.com//domains/using_...domain_/2.html

godaddy(deluxe plan)
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp

Hi

one and one have some bad reviews on here, am not to sure about godaddy, i recommend searching the forums for reviews.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Both have a lot of bad Reviews. I would recommend spending some more time researching your choices before going with either one of them.

How about supporting a hosting company that doesn't try to suck the life out of this industry like those two?

Quote Originally Posted by albertahosting
    How about supporting a hosting company that doesn't try to suck the life out of this industry like those two?

Hey, thats a good point! To the OP, I highly suggest you do that search and just read the feedback.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Yep. I will. I learn that 1and1 has money guarantee back while godaddy doesn't. What about that? Is it better than godaddy?

Quote Originally Posted by albertahosting
    It is hard to find a stable and reliable hosting company. I think both of them will not disappear after one or two years. That is the first request to a hosting company for me.

IXPP I think you need to re-evaluate here. You are looking for a company that won't disappear after a year or two. There are many companies on these forums alone that have been around 3+ years, even up to 8 or 9 years, and are still doing well.

And they don't have the same atmosphere prevailing there products by former customers as godaddy and 1 and 1.

Take Cartikahosting for example, they have been around since '03. And I know there are many more, that is just the first one that came to mind.

Thanks for your advice. I just use whois tool to do some research. Here are the result.

1and1
    Created: 1997-09-27
    Expires: 2007-09-26

godaddy
    Created: 1999-03-01
    Expires: 2012-03-01

For me, if I will choose a hosting company, I will first find out how long the company exist as a request to be evaluated. However, it is a personal preference totally. No a fight signal to the other companies here.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    IXPP I think you need to re-evaluate here. You are looking for a company that won't disappear after a year or two. There are many companies on these forums alone that have been around 3+ years, even up to 8 or 9 years, and are still doing well.

And they don't have the same atmosphere prevailing there products by former customers as godaddy and 1 and 1.

Take Cartikahosting for example, they have been around since '03. And I know there are many more, that is just the first one that came to mind.

If someone can give me more recommendation, I will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ixpp
    If someone can give me more recommendation, I will appreciate it.
    I'm not trying to argue with you choosing a company based on lenght of business, I don't want to see you choose a hosting company though that you will end unhappy with in the end.

Feel free to research Godaddy and 1 and 1's reputation regarding hosting. They don't have a very good reputation.

I would rather see you with a company that has been around a while that satisfies your lenght of business requirement but has good recommendations overall and happy customers.

Hola!
    Well...I tell you. I have accounts with both of them...but don't use either for hosting. I know...let me explain a few things.

Godaddy is good for domains..but that's it. Hosting? Joke. Been there..done that.
    Next!

1and1 is good for domains as well...plus I do have their business hosting account.
    I don't use them for hosting either...no...I had to have the goodies!

However..I will not purchase anymore domains from them...I detest this *Now that I want to pay for more than one year...I can't* thing of theirs. Blah. Next!

You want a decent host? Okeedoke.

http://www.rshosting.com

They are not cheap...but extremely reliable. Not only have I been a customer of theirs..uhhh...they have been a customer of mine as well.

They only sell reseller accounts..but I think that's what you want anyways.

There you go...a recommendation. Biased? Yup. They're fantastic. I don't get a dime to send them customers, though.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

i've had godaddy shared hosting and its been exceptionally good. the best i ever have had actually. their dedicated server services on the other hands are horrible.

BlueHost.Com is my second recommendation. They have positive reviews everywhere. Just type in "BlueHost Reviews" In google and you'll get a whole bunch

I've only ever been with godaddy in the past myself and found them to be 'ok' their site was a bit complex to use however soon figure it all out
    1and1 I myself have never used however a website I was a member of used them and had their site defaced(hacked) one day it was a mass deface of all websites on the server(s) but if that is anything to go by their servers really cant be that secure, locally or remotly

InfoH: You or the website operator are confusing something. If anything like that ever happened, there would have been press coverage. You probably meant to refer to "all sites under the same account / user permissions", because of exploitable PHP scripts the web site operator uploaded to the account.

When it comes to domains, you cannot go far wrong with godaddy.

Furthermore, the domain control panel of 1&1 is extremely confusing, whereas with godaddy it's pretty straight forward. That's certainly something to consider, I would think.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Quote Originally Posted by aldee
    InfoH: You or the website operator are confusing something. If anything like that ever happened, there would have been press coverage. You probably meant to refer to "all sites under the same account / user permissions", because of exploitable PHP scripts the web site operator uploaded to the account.

No, there was not a fault on the the website I am a member at..
    all websites on that specific server were defaced..
    they gained access via another website i'd imagine and rooted the machine locally..

was some turkish deface group

zone-h have the deface pages for it.. it was listed as a Mass Defacement

Hi!
    Actually...my complaints about 1and1 have nothing to do with the domain control panel. Their service: Deplorable (But expected)
    Just using them for email: Deplorable-talk about slow??? Cpanel was never this slow..even on a poor resource-starved vps. Oh..the blacklist feature? Doesn't even work...even an address you blacklist is still going to put in the "Spam folder"
    that you have to go through (very painful). Sad.

There are three bright spots..unlike any other spam folder...the system sends you a daily report of what's in there. Nice. Also...even though the control panel is slow as molasses...it does at least feature a button to click if you want 10-30-50 messages displayed at one time..which helps a little.

Also...their dns times are the best I have ever seen. Even the overhead (as tested at dnsstuff.com) is as low as 95 ms...and I think 147 was the highest for overhead. Nameserver response is almost never above 10ms. Impressive.

Live and learn.

As I said...I didn't sign up with 1and1 for hosting at all. Goodies galore!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

To answer the original question, i use godaddy deluxe plan for multiple websites. My websites are simple and generate little traffic. You sign up with a primary domain. Then you can add more domains by creating sub-directories for mydomain2 and mydomain3. Use the control panel to activate mydomain2 and 3. Then website www.mydomain2.com is live in a few minutes/hours. Place all your webpages and code in the sub-directory. However, you can visit the website with www.myprimarydomain.com/mydomain2/ as well as www.mydomain2.com.

My dislike about godaddy multiple domains is i can't figure out how to setup emails for my additional domains. I have a single email address for each domain as part of godaddy's domain name product. The primary hosted domain has unlimted email adresses as part of godaddy's hosting product. But i'd like to have many email addresses for my additional domains. One of these days I'll call or email godaddy tech support.

i have used www.aplus.net now for a few years now. I don't recommend using godaddy because they do, infact, have a lot of bad reviews. However, i would watch Aplus with their control panel and not click anything unless you really want to, like purchasing 15 years of domain like i did once. It didn't confirm my order and billed my account in a matter of seconds. Thankfully, the order didn't go through and they removed the bill from my account.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    No, there was not a fault on the the website I am a member at..
    all websites on that specific server were defaced..
    they gained access via another website i'd imagine and rooted the machine locally..

was some turkish deface group

zone-h have the deface pages for it.. it was listed as a Mass Defacement
    In this particular case, a mass defacement does not refer to a hosting server, but to commonly used exploitable versions of certain scripts, typically outdated forums software (e. g. phpBB and its plugins are well-known suspects in this regard). If the forum operators didn't update the deployed software after the incident, it's only a matter of time that the same thing will happen again.

I've tried both... I had TONS of problems with GoDaddy... they even had to delete my acct and recreate it because they couldnt solve the problems of my directory structures breaking.

I've been using 1&1 for most of this year and am quite satisfied. I love their "everything under one roof" setup and their control panel functionality... it does everything I need it to do and does so very intuitively.

Quote Originally Posted by aldee
    In this particular case, a mass defacement does not refer to a hosting server, but to commonly used exploitable versions of certain scripts, typically outdated forums software (e. g. phpBB and its plugins are well-known suspects in this regard). If the forum operators didn't update the deployed software after the incident, it's only a matter of time that the same thing will happen again.

This is incorrect,
    Mass-Defacement is when a defacement is occured at the same time
    defacing RFI's(Remote File Include Vulnerbilities) would occur one after another not at the same time. weather is is done by the same person or not,

However as I stated before the website I was a member of was not vulnerable
    It was a website on another server which they gained local access through and then gained root via local access..

This is incorrect,
    Mass-Defacement is when a defacement is occured at the same time
    That's only half the truth.

defacing RFI's(Remote File Include Vulnerbilities) would occur one after another not at the same time. weather is is done by the same person or not,
    When a large amount of web sites is targeted via the same vulnerability within a short time span - typically within days after the vulnerability is disclosed in the first place - the incident does qualify to be a "mass" defacement

However as I stated before the website I was a member of was not vulnerable
    It was a website on another server which they gained local access through and then gained root via local access..
    It was vulnerable. Feel free to provide the domain name and the corresponding zone-h record for further insight, if there's anything available there that will make the issue more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by ixpp
    It is hard to find a stable and reliable hosting company. I think both of them will not disappear after one or two years. That is the first request to a hosting company for me.
    There are many hosts that have been around for many years - longer then both of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast