Can Someone Help Me Create a phpBB Forum on a Server?

Im having trouble doing this as I'm a complete n00b. I downloaded all of the zip files from the phpBB site for the server I assume. I prefer for a free web host as someone recommended ravencore. I went there and downloaded the files but I'm lost on where to go from here. If needed I can pay for a web server but don't want anything expensive. Can anyone help me out and guide be through the steps? Thanks!

Cool

I don't see why it would be a problem. Most hosts have phpBB auto-installers and if you needed help getting it started it might be free or a fee; depending on what the particular host included with "support" and especially depending on how much "help" you need. Someone experienced with phpBB can set up a few forums, basic permissions, registrations etc. in just a few minutes but if you want it customized, your logo on it, etc. etc. you would probably be into the "paid" range...

PS: Just noticed you mentioned "free" hosts, expecting free hosting and help with your site is kind-of unreasonable don't you think? I can't see "free" hosting anyway except for playing and for free you are asking somebody to go beyond hosting...
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Just as DDT said...an experienced user can create something like this in a few minutes, and I would be happy to do it for you as a favour having been in your position myself! I must as though, if you have some sort of database system (MySQL / PostgreSQL) and a control panel such as Plesk or cPanel with your free host, because it really complicates things if you dont.

ya i don't have a problem setting up everything in the phpBB forum just getting the forum files onto a server. i downloaded mySQL 5.0 Community version and have no clue where to go from here. im completely unexperienced in the area of getting a site up but have no problem being the admin of the forum.

also is there any such server that is free without advertising/banners?
    not really concerned with support from the host.

Ok why did you download mysql 5.0?

You are hosting the forum yourself? I'm assuming you just want a free host? There are alot of free forum hostings out there. You dont' have to download anything. All you have to do is go to the website and just "create" a forum. Its all done automatically. Of course if you use those free hosts you won't be able to do stuff like add extra modifications to your forum. You also will have advertisements.

If you are serious about having a forum then you need to buy hosting.. there are very cheap hostings you can get.. just go to the webhosting offers and go with a shared hosting. Go with those cheap yearly offers I suppose. You will need to buy a domain (not expensive at all)

That way you can do more stuff to your forum (and alot more work of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Darvil
    Ok why did you download mysql 5.0?

You are hosting the forum yourself? I'm assuming you just want a free host? There are alot of free forum hostings out there. You dont' have to download anything. All you have to do is go to the website and just "create" a forum. Its all done automatically. Of course if you use those free hosts you won't be able to do stuff like add extra modifications to your forum. You also will have advertisements.

If you are serious about having a forum then you need to buy hosting.. there are very cheap hostings you can get.. just go to the webhosting offers and go with a shared hosting. Go with those cheap yearly offers I suppose. You will need to buy a domain (not expensive at all)

That way you can do more stuff to your forum (and alot more work of course).
    the phpBB site mentioned to download that i but must have misread it wrong.
    is there any web server where i can just pay for the domain and server host and that's it and no yearly rate?

...once i purchase this is there a clear process on opening the phpBB forum on the site. just want to make sure im not buying a domain and cant show the forum.

You might want to try this question at www.freewebhostingtalk.com and/or www.freewebspace.com/forums. It sounds like you're trying to buy a domain then host the web site & message board somewhere for free.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    You might want to try this question at www.freewebhostingtalk.com and/or www.freewebspace.com/forums. It sounds like you're trying to buy a domain then host the web site & message board somewhere for free.
    well if there's something as cheap as $3.00 a month i can deal with that.
    those include no advertising right? and does FTP accounts mean email accounts? meaning the total amount of members for a forum that I'm trying to start?

ok RrCoX22

I think I know exactly what you want.

3 dollars a month is good enough for some webhosts.. thats for sure.

What you need to do is make sure that the host you're going to buy from has CPANEL and FANTASTICO. When you purchase an account you will not have it come with a forum. You can use fantastico to install it though. Its VERY EASY to do it using fantastico.

If you buy an account you won't have any advertising on it. Also FTP is a way for you to transfer files onto your website. You will need to download an FTP client and log onto your account.

Also I don't recommend you to do the "buy a domain and hosting" service. I recommend you to buy your domain (godaddy, yahoo, etc etc) too bad 1.99 yahoo deal is over. I've seen some really serious issues with hosts keeping your domain name hostage.. so don't do that.

When you buy your own domain you will have to add in their nameserver to your account.. this is not hard.

I can give you a hand if you want.

whooaaa!

lol... ya i think i will need a hand lol

i understood everything except the FTP client part and needing to transfer files onto the account server.

so i buy the domain name seperately and then find a hosting service?
    do i have to pay monthly/yearly or that too? ...or is it a one time fee.
    what route do you suggest that i go with the hosting service?
    need something that will hold at least over 1000 members for the forum and video hosting possibly.

thanks for all your help.

Hosting services will have some time of fee that is recurring. Monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc. Very few have setup fees anymore. For the type of hosting you need I'm not entirely sure $3.00/mo will meet your needs even if you're paying yearly in the long run.

Since you only plan to grow your forum that big and haven't started it yet, you might be able to get by on a cheap plan from some host. Just plan to pay at for six-twelve months at a time. As you grow the forum hopefully you'll get enough income from your own advertising to afford something bigger to either upgrade your package on the host, or move to one that better suits a bigger site.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by RrCoX22
    whooaaa!

lol... ya i think i will need a hand lol

i understood everything except the FTP client part and needing to transfer files onto the account server.

so i buy the domain name seperately and then find a hosting service?
    do i have to pay monthly/yearly or that too? ...or is it a one time fee.
    what route do you suggest that i go with the hosting service?
    need something that will hold at least over 1000 members for the forum and video hosting possibly.

thanks for all your help.
    Domain name is a per year payment (meaning like you have to pay 9 dollars a year). As for the host.. it depends.. some you pay monthly.. some yearly.

Forget video hosting if thats all you're willing to pay.. As for 1000 members.. it really depends on how many sim connections you're gonna have.. 100 people? if its like 200 then you should get something more with $$$.

by the time you have that many users.. you should be able to afford (thru advertising) a dedicated server which is the way to go.

Question

We have clients on shared with 1000 members, it depends on how "busy" they are...also phpBB is about the hardest on servers (strongly suggest SMF instead-way better)
    But for video etc. you won't get free and be happy, free has to have ads (or how could it be free?) and usually the unrealistically cheap (like $3) will require annual payment just because transaction fees are too high to process a bunch of $3 trasactions monthly.

I am not beinng rude, but I really would be interested to know how any user thinks they shouldn't pay a reasonalble fee for hosting etc. especially when you say from the first you are going to need extra help? (and I'm confused about your MySQL comments...you don't need it, the host does, and even so phpBB doesn''t need it at all) Servers/bandwidth etc. cost money so unless you wat to do a "project" site and host a small site on a server from your home or something I don't understand how you could think there would be "free" with no ads or super-cheap "monthly"?

...that's saying you cannot affor the price of 1 large soft drink a week (at the end of the month) for a web site at a good solid host...and that's never made sense to me...I am not being critical of you personally, I have seen others...I just really wonder where those ideas come from?
    Are there some incorrect blogs somewhere or something spreading these ideas?
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.

Find a host with cPanel. It's built in. It builds the database, installs phpbb, and your done.

Cough up 5-10 bux a month for a decent host. You'll be happier

just a quick question... when a host mentions email accounts, does that mean the number of members that i can have registered to the forum?

thanks everyone, i've learned a tremendous amount of information within a short time on this great forum!

Cool

No, that's how many mail accounts you can have like [email protected]. Usually a forum will only use 1 "mailer" e-mail account for the administrator to communicate with members. It has nothing to do with the number of forum "members".
    Every host offers far more mail accounts than you will ever need. Like many offer 500 e-mail acounts...unless it's a very big business you wouldn't have 500 people to need them...then you would have your own servers anyway, it's kind of like the huge bandwidth offers & such the big numbers make it look like you are getting a better deal.
    Most host will even offer unlimited, because how many accounts you have creates no more load on the server. It's how much mail you send that creates loads (and uses your bandwidth) and that's not really "overselling" because the resources in your plan should be yours to use as you wish.

The forum software may create mail loads on your server if you have it configured to "mask" user's e-mails through the forum. You still don't need more accounts but in that case instead of user "a" clicking a link to e-mail user "b" and his e-mail (like Outlook) opening to send the mail the software will "mask" the mail so he clicks user "b" and a forum window opens, he types in the message and clicks send, and the forum sends it to user "a" without revealing his e-mail address (useful to protect user's privacy). This creates a bit more load on your account but not a lot unless you have a huge forum and lots of people e-mailing instead of posting replies.

Like many of the other members above have said, I think as well that you would be better off with a paid host. Good hosting is so cheap now a days, that you can pretty much get a lot for absolutely nothing. The nice thing is, if you get a host with Cpanel or Plesk, you will be able to auto install your forums, and manage things very easily and graphically.
    DJ Anderson
    Need Hosting?
    www.techwebhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by techwebhosting
    Like many of the other members above have said, I think as well that you would be better off with a paid host. Good hosting is so cheap now a days, that you can pretty much get a lot for absolutely nothing. The nice thing is, if you get a host with Cpanel or Plesk, you will be able to auto install your forums, and manage things very easily and graphically.
    oh ya... i going for sure with a paid host after reviewing many threads. probably something around $5 a month or something is what ill eventually be going with. cpanel and fantastico seem to be the things i need to look for

Is it important to have image verification on forum registerations?
    ServNX LLC - Leading into success
    Hosting Solutions, Software Development, VPS Servers, Design Solutions, IRC & Adult Allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by poppabear
    Is it important to have image verification on forum registerations?
    Yes, otherwise these can be automated bots...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

yea i figured so, my main reason for asking tho was because i didn't know if there was any other method to keep the bots out?
    ServNX LLC - Leading into success
    Hosting Solutions, Software Development, VPS Servers, Design Solutions, IRC & Adult Allowed!

there are some mods that keeps out bots pretty well.. check the site for mods.