Thread: VPS and .ca's?

VPS and .ca's?

I'm looking for an alternative for RegisterFly! Their system is lagging now and I can't get things done.

Know any .ca registrars with affordable VPS plans?

Any reason why you want your registrar and host to be the same company?

As last resort. I'm getting too old for crappy services. I can't find a registrar with a functioning DNS. They're always missing something. Either the advanced DNS don't work or have poorly designed control panels.

I gotta contact Netfirms to change DNS... another one has privacy but no advanced DNS... RegFly can't even register or transfer!

Then get your VPS from one company and go with someone like Enom for your domains.

Then utilize your VPS for your DNS instead of using the registry.

I just need to know which company to deal with. DNS pointing with .ca isnt as easy as .com

And how much does Enom charge for .ca registration and transfer? It sure isn't below $10. They don't even have whois protection at their price.

Dotster has .ca domains and offers VPS's. It appears to cost $20.00/yr for .ca domains thru them.

-Jay

I have several .ca's and have for years. There's absolutely no difference in pointing a .com and .ca. You just plunk the nameservers into the right boxes on your registrar's website.

As for DNS itself, I would highly recommend using Zone Edit. The first 5 domains are free and the DNS is very reliable. You simply point the domains on your registrar to the Zone Edit nameserver and then within Zone Edit you can point them anywhere you'd like. I've been using Zone Edit for a couple of years - very good service.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorecraphosts
    I just need to know which company to deal with. DNS pointing with .ca isnt as easy as .com

And how much does Enom charge for .ca registration and transfer? It sure isn't below $10. They don't even have whois protection at their price.
    NetFirms.ca has .ca's for $9.95 CAD a year. Ive been using them with no complaints for about 4 months now. DNS pointing is simple.

Netfirms for sure is cheap and seems to work fine in my past experiences. They don't offer VPS's but I am sure you know that.

-Jay

I was with Netfirms for a while because of the price. I found out, however, that they count on your hosting with them in order to defray the cost of the cheap .ca's. Once I hit 5 domains, they wanted me to buy a hosting package in order to purchase more .ca's.

Not a big deal if you're not intending to buy a bunch of .ca's but if you are, you should be aware of it.

Something about Netfirms rubbed me the wrong way.

I've been using Domainsatcost for *all* my .ca domain registrations, and the process is smooth. I also registered nameservers to one of my .ca domains, and this was performed in their control panel.

I looked at the Netfirms control panel, but I prefer the Domainsatcost panel.

Domainsatcost doesn't provide advanced dns, but it has privacy. Their nameservers don't work with RegFly(or the other around), but it's weird that I found a free host that worked perfectly with them.

You must contact netfirms support to add more than two nameservers and I'm limited to 3 domains for the moment... I wonder if their clustered servers plan is any good.

Dotser seems fair and I hope their privacy affects .ca's also. Whoa! DNS management cost: $10/yr maybe for one account or each domain?

Which combination of VPS and domain companies do you guys use?

Domainsatcost + DNSPark + PowerVPS is the way2go

True, PowerVPS rocks. I've been with them for about 6 months and have never had any sort of problem at all. I'm moving to Future Hosting because I can't afford PowerVPS anymore, but they're still quite excellent.

Any recommendations for PowerVPS? (I'm still working on my PHP scripts and have little traffic until I dish out 5k hits/day)
    Linux Plesk $44.50
    Linux cPanel $44.50
    Linux Directadmin $44.50
    Linux Webmin $24.95

And what does DNSPark do exactly and why is it useful?

I'm on LINUX WEBMIN POWER-1.

dnspark.com has free nameserver service and supports all types of record entries if you change your host frequently or don't wanna deal with BIND's security issues.