Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Centos or Fedora Core?

I was buying a linux dedicated server and didn't know which is better.. CentOS 4 or Red Hat Fedora Core 4?

If CentOS 4 is better.. does it come with PHP. GD Library, ect like Fedora?

Thanks for the help!

Do you plan to put a control panel of this new server?
    I always did like the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by spulis
    Do you plan to put a control panel of this new server?
    i was thinking of buying from godaddy and they have simple, plesk, and cpanel. i was going to get simple since its the cheapest.

Looking at there pricing it would seem plesk is the cheaper route. You best bet is to head over the swsoft forums and see what OS that control panel runs best on.

I believe it to be Fedora from my experiences but that may not be the case any longer its been a while since I have used Plesk.

I prefer cent OS to Fedora personally however you need to decide what you feel most comfortable with.
    I always did like the clouds

as spulis says it depends on what your comfortable with, personally I would go for cent OS rather than fedora, but both do the job. Plesk works ewually well on either.

what does CentOS provide that Fedora doesn't? Anything special? I've heard it is more stable than Fedora...i'm guessing that means less reboots and that it gets more power out of the system resources..am i correct?

I would go will CentOS4 with cPanel

CentOS is designed for servers, and Fedora for Desktops. Some people prefer Fedora simply because they've used it at home and are more familiar with it, but for server activities, you should pick CentOS. They're both very capable and not that different from the other. I've also heard some customers prefer Fedora's more frequent updates, but that could also mean getting more [less tested] software with potential bugs thrown in.

Within our servers, CentOS outnumbers Fedora by about 20 to 1.

JoseQ
    TailorMadeServers.Com - Dallas Dedicated Servers since 2003
    joseq@tailormadeservers.com | Skype (TailorMadeServers) | http://twitter.com/tailoredservers

cool, thanks for your input!

more is welcome of course. I am sure others probably have this same question.

I know what I want and it's cPanel on CentOS server
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I am getting a machine with the following config:

* Dual AMD Opteron 246
    * 2 GB RAM
    * 73 GB SCSI Drive

I will be using webmin as control panel and will be running Apache and MySQL on it. Whe server will be running a handfull of wordpress and phpbb sites only. (no client account)

Should i go for CentOS 4 or Fedora Core 4?
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh

I would say cent0s

Definately Cent Os
    Saad

centOS of course over fedora for the reasons listed above. I would look elsewhere for the server however, godaddy has too many problems. Search here to find the full scoop

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    centOS of course over fedora for the reasons listed above. I would look elsewhere for the server however, godaddy has too many problems. Search here to find the full scoop
    i need at least 1500 GB bandwidth a month, and nobody else i've seen provides that for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDivx
    i need at least 1500 GB bandwidth a month, and nobody else i've seen provides that for a good price.
    There are too many provider have this,take a look at offer forums.

Quote Originally Posted by fitesun
    There are too many provider have this,take a look at offer forums.
    I was looking at them, but I couldnt see any dedicated hosting with all of the below for under $80 a month.

-50 GB Space
    -1500 GB Bandwidth
    -Plesk or Cpanel (or at least any other decent control panel)
    -PHP, MySQL Capable
    -99.9% Uptime
    -Good Reviews/ Highly Rated
    -PayPal Accepted

We run almost uniquely CentOS 4 (which actually is almost Redhat Enterprise 4). With Cpanel, it's as good as it can get compatibility wise. With custom / no control panel servers, you may want to consider what you need exactly. For example, the tradeoff for stability is that CentOS (or Redhat really) backports patches. This means that instead of always upgrading to the newest and latest, whenever there is a security patch, Redhat will port this patch to a lower version or base version that they run. Only very rarely do they increment this to a new version.

How does this affect? In truth, if you are not going for a lot of custom packages, it doesn't. However some clients we have needed that and that's when the dependencies may be an issue and you will need to do a lot of custom compiles. This is less likely to happen with Fedora which implements the latest edge software all the time.

So your usage will really determine this for you.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

I was looking at them, but I couldnt see any dedicated hosting with all of the below for under $80 a month.

-50 GB Space
    -1500 GB Bandwidth
    -Plesk or Cpanel (or at least any other decent control panel)
    -PHP, MySQL Capable
    -99.9% Uptime
    -Good Reviews/ Highly Rated
    -PayPal Accepted
    Hmm...

for that price,you should go for unmanaged hosting also not a highend server

Centos for me...you would need a control panel from a better reseller.

Hmm...

for that price,you should go for unmanaged hosting also not a highend server
    recomendations will be much appriciated ... dedicated servers are new to me.. i've been on shared hosting and have to switch to this since my site is using to many system resources.

recomendations will be much appriciated ... dedicated servers are new to me.. i've been on shared hosting and have to switch to this since my site is using to many system resources.
    As I know that LayeredTech will meet your price,check their website at: http://www.layeredtech.com/index.php
    You may want to buy a server from reseller as server4sale etc....

You may want to take a look at layeredtech, they meet all your above requirements.

edit: beat me

As I know that LayeredTech will meet your price,check their website at: http://www.layeredtech.com/index.php
    You may want to buy a server from reseller as server4sale etc....
    i was looking at that.. and to have a MySQL database costs $75!?! is this a different kind of MySQL database that you could need to run PHP scripts, and thaty you usually find on shared hosting servers?

i was looking at that.. and to have a MySQL database costs $75!?! is this a different kind of MySQL database that you could need to run PHP scripts, and thaty you usually find on shared hosting servers?
    Little mysql databases make no different,if the databases more than hundreds MB,you would consider more RAM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast