Analog OnStar to become obsolete

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2066040,00.asp

OnStar system may become obsolete. The shutdown is a result of an obscure
    Federal Communications Commission ruling from 2002, which allows cell phone
    companies to shut down their analog networks beginning in February 2008.

Analog networks were used years ago because they were the most pervasive,
    reliable, and offered greater coverage. Digital networks have proliferated,
    though, and only some pre-2004 models will be able to upgrade, leaving the
    rest at a lost. OnStar has not said how many of its subscribers will be
    affected. But Frank Viquez, an industry analyst at ABI Research, estimates
    as many as half of OnStar's customers, two million subscribers, now drive
    cars that cannot be upgraded.

wow, a huge lost for GM and they've been suffering heavily.
    Kerry Jones

Not really... most people upgrade cars/trucks every four years. Plus, some company or person, someplace is sitting back thinking, "Wow, this is a money tree." Someone will figure out how to upgrade the customers, if demand is there.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I agree with hekwu. If there is money to be made. Someone will be there. Pretty soon those junk cars called toyota will be number one. So it looks like they will have more problems to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    I agree with hekwu. If there is money to be made. Someone will be there. Pretty soon those junk cars called toyota will be number one. So it looks like they will have more problems to deal with.
    You guys make it sound so easy! GM is notorious for missing the boat on many money making opportunities so what makes this one any different?

Onstar is pretty garbage anyways.. My dad never ever used it on his Saab.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Quote Originally Posted by fromage
    Onstar is pretty garbage anyways.. My dad never ever used it on his Saab.
    It really depends on the situation it may be used by some a little and others alot, but there are some who's life may depend on it if they end up in a emergency situation.
    Kerry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu
    You guys make it sound so easy! GM is notorious for missing the boat on many money making opportunities so what makes this one any different?
    my thought is I'm sure GM has figured this out, somehow. You would have to look at the numbers.... but if the ave person will replace a car everyone 4 or 5 years, then they are good. It would also depend on the conversation rate of sold used cars that use the product. Could be it is not that high.

I don't think it is easy... but I'm sure some Dr., MBA, company, etc has looked at this issue. You can get aftermarket parts for almost any car... I'm just thinking there has to be someway of replacing the darn thing.

Then again, if you have to connect to the onstar system, maybe it would be too much of a mess to attempt. Anyway, GM has no choice but to switch to a new system since, I believe, it is going to be a law for the cell companies to switch to digital. (or at least that is what I remember reading someplace....).

I drive a Honda anyway.....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Not really... most people upgrade cars/trucks every four years. Plus, some company or person, someplace is sitting back thinking, "Wow, this is a money tree." Someone will figure out how to upgrade the customers, if demand is there.
    The average is 2 years believe it or not.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer