VPS or dedicated?

I'm about to roll out a mailing list program, well it's more like a text messenging app and it's for various businesses to target their prospective clients. Anyways, I currently have a resellers plan that I will probably outgrow due to other projects in the works. I've looked various dedicated servers but the price seems pretty high and I'm not sure if it's overkill or not.

A friend mentioned VPS are horrible, he used to work for a hosting company prior to his current job. Then again maybe that's just his opinion. Anyways, VPS are much cheaper but the specs on the RAM has me all confused. the more the better but is that what I'm guaranteed? Like if a plan says 256min and burstable to 512.

Also, since this is all "virtualize" I get my own little / partition where mail spool and mysql are contained in my own little world? Think of it as a dedicated server with fewer horse power shared among X amount of clients?

Hi!
    Any VPS can be horrible if it's not setup properly or put on a lousy capped link.
    Of course...a dedi with the same capped link would be just as slow.

I'm seeing more vps setup issues now..and in ways I never expected. One is starving the kernel with a extremely low memory allocation. The other is exactly the opposite...too generous allocations that could completely comprimise the entire server.

Yes...your vps runs independent of the other VPS's. You can compile programs...stop and start it...remake it yourself (sometimes)..etc...etc.

Some have control panels...some don't. If your memory allows it..you could always bring in your own control panel. I've setup several open source ones...and they each are very different...some easy..some not so easy. Some are specific to a certain OS...say...Debian. That's not to say they could not be installed elsewhere...of course...it may or may not be an easy thing to do...or worth the time.

Bottom line is this: If you want a decent webserver on a vps...if you can survive without a control panel at all...or one that is not so resource-intensive (webmin comes to mind)..you will be better off. I've only begun prelims on alternative webservers..just to see how they do..so I have no input yet on that..other than I have been seeing more of lighthttp these days.

I personally would be very careful with any email mailing list thing these days.
    Make sure it is double-opt in...and easy opt-out..or you could run into trouble fast.
    AOL is a major pain in this regard...they are one of the only ones I've had to deal with for a client...and they were deplorable.

Anyways..good luck with it.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

For mailing lists I think you should check out mailbuild.com / campaignmonitor.com They are from the same company. There are too many reasons to go with them. Just check out the websites and you'll understand.

What's about campaignmonitor.com ? For the newsletter/mailing list.

A friend mentioned VPS are horrible, he used to work for a hosting company prior to his current job. Then again maybe that's just his opinion. Anyways, VPS are much cheaper but the specs on the RAM has me all confused. the more the better but is that what I'm guaranteed? Like if a plan says 256min and burstable to 512.
    VPS is not horrible, it is just like dedicated server. VPS is good to save the money before upgrade dedicated, any softwares you want to install and you get the full root in VPS partition. Your friend who worked for the hosting company probably not good enough to providing better services. There are decent VPS providers out there, providing 24x7 support and 99% uptime such as PowerVPS, ServInt, KnownHost and Futurehosting. They have excellent support I've heard. I have been with PowerVPS before. They were wonderful, highly recommend them. When you sign up one of them, you will notice different than your friend who had poor experience with his work company.

Jen
    Last edited by TRIBOLIS; 12-02-2006 at 06:27 AM.

VPS dones right is/will become the low-med range dedicated server soon.

VPS done wrong is horrible.

Most of the time this is directly related to how much you pay.
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

Well, all depends upon the vps hosting provider and how they setup the vps, well that is the reason, i keep suggesting people about hosting companies because a single mistake and our business is at a stake. So i would advice you to make a wise decision and if needed,you could also contact me for a hosting advice.