Question Is this a pretty fair deal?

So I've been looking around at different vps providers, and I'm curious whether the below package seems like a fair price. I believe it is, after comparing similar hosts who offer cpanel based vps solutions. However, I'm wanting my provider to be using xen, so I know that I'm guaranteed a specific amount of ram. I know there's a lot of wht users who always seem to want the lowest priced vps solution, and I think that usually ends up being just a nightmare. I don't mind paying a higer price if there's better performance and support.. along with the specific features that I need.

The vps plan in question:

$89.00/mo - Free Setup

=============================================
    - Hard Drive Space: 25 GB
    - Monthly Bandwidth: 300 GB
    - Guaranteed RAM: 384 MB <--- xen based, which is what im looking for..
    - 100% Managed, 24/7 Elite Support <--- This is a must
    - Centos 4 Operating System
    - AMD Dual Processor Dual Core Server w/RAID
    - Full Root Access
    - Equal share CPU
    - Cpanel/Whm/Fantastico Included <--- This is a requirement of mine
    - RVSkin Included
    - Host Unlimited Domains
    - 4 Ip Addresses Included
    - Redundant Hotswap Servers
    - Automatic Daily Backups
    - VPS Already Pre-Configured
    - Ruby on Rails Available < --- This is needed, too
    - 3rd Party Script Assistance <--- Needed
    - Custom Name Server Assistance
    - Independently Monitored by SiteUptime
    - 99.98% Uptime Guarantee

I'd appreciate any feedback on the above. thanks!
    Last edited by webdesignguy74; 12-01-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webdesignguy74
    So I've been looking around at different vps providers, and I'm curious whether the below package seems like a fair price. I believe it is, after comparing similar hosts who offer cpanel based vps solutions. However, I'm wanting my provider to be using xen, so I know that I'm guaranteed a specific amount of ram. I know there's a lot of wht users who always seem to want the lowest priced vps solution, and I think that usually ends up being just a nightmare. I don't mind paying a higer price if there's better performance and support.. along with the specific features that I need.

The vps plan in question:

$89.00/mo - Free Setup

- 100% Managed, 24/7 Elite Support <--- This is a must
    - Centos 4 Operating System
    - AMD Dual Processor Dual Core Server w/RAID
    - Full Root Access
    - Equal share CPU
    - Cpanel/Whm/Fantastico Included <--- This is a requirement of mine
    - RVSkin Included
    - Host Unlimited Domains
    - 4 Ip Addresses Included
    - Redundant Hotswap Servers
    - Automatic Daily Backups
    - VPS Already Pre-Configured
    - Ruby on Rails Available < --- This is needed, too
    - 3rd Party Script Assistance <--- Needed
    - Custom Name Server Assistance
    - Independently Monitored by SiteUptime
    - 99.98% Uptime Guarantee

I'd appreciate any feedback on the above. thanks!
    Out of the 19 spec-requirements you have listed, you mention that you absolutely require at least 5 of them. I would say go for it, because it seems to be exactly what your looking for .

-Sean

I think I might, but I suppose I was just curious whether it was overpriced. The problem is that not too many hosts offer xen based vps plan with the requirments that I need for under 70 bucks/mo. So i guess 89 is fair?

89$ sounds pretty reasonable, won't hurt to look around a little longer though

Since it's fully managed and with Cpanel on it its a reasonable price but...

... if Cpanel itself will use about 256MB of RAM there are a possibillity to your sites hangs some times since the 384MB are non-burstable

Ah good point sspt. I wasnt aware that xen cant be burstable. I thought that I was doing good to choose xen. hmmm.

I don't know xen, I guess it is good price to pay for $89. But...

Those are expensive for $89. There is dedicated server have 80gb space, 1000gb bandwidth and 1024mb ram for around $60-$90, comes with fully managed. But you will pay extra for control panel, fantastico and rvskin.

Ruby on Rails Available - you can install it yourself, I don't know if fully managed provider will do that for you. Best if you ask before sign up.

Jen

A fully managed server for only 90 bucks? Yikes. I'd be afraid of what type of management is really included for something that cheap.

Ya i do not think I would want a 90.00 per month fully managed server. There is some corners being cut there somewhere rather it be hardware and management who knows but that is way to low to expect really good service.

You never know though it could happen.

I wasnt aware that xen cant be burstable
    burst memory is generally useless, anyway.

For $89 a month I'd expect at least 512MB RAM, especially on a free platform like xen, where the providers don't have to pay Virtuozzo licensing.
    FractalHost
    Quality hosting, ecommerce solutions, SEO and bespoke development

Seems a bit pricey for just 384mb of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by jwong512
    Seems a bit pricey for just 384mb of ram.
    Pricey? Compared to what? This is why I started this thread in the first place; in hopes to hear feedback. However..if you indeed feel it's pricey, then I'd appreciate at least something that I can compare to. For example, If I were to order a vps from powervps, (their power-1 package for example), but wanted to have the same harddrive space and bandwidth as mentioned above (25 GB & 300 GB) I'd be paying them more than $89.. So in this particular case, powervps would be the more expensive choice for what I'm needing.
    Last edited by webdesignguy74; 12-03-2006 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fattym
    burst memory is generally useless, anyway.
    Really? Can you back that up with anything? Are you essentially saying that bursting, (one of the key elements of using expensive software such as virtuozzo) ..is just rubbish? Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned in my first post, I prefer a host that uses xen; but simply disregarding burst ram and saying that it's useless is a pretty bold statement.
    Last edited by webdesignguy74; 12-03-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webdesignguy74
    Really? Can you back that up with anything? Are you essentially saying that bursting, (one of the key elements of using expensive software such as virtuozzo) ..is just rubbish? Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned in my first post, I prefer a host that uses xen; but simply disregarding burst ram and saying that it's useless is a pretty bold statement.
    Well, let me qualify my statement by saying _in my experience_, burst memory means very little and is more a marketing gimmick. As it's not guaranteed, what's the benefit? Scenario: suddenly I need 512meg, but only 384 is available. Is there any burst RAM available? No (because all other users are using their full quote and/or bursting, too). Oh well, then let's kill some of your processes. It's too hit or miss to be useful (purely IMO)

For comparison, I've got a $55/m VPS at serveraxis, xen, 1GB ram, 40GB space, 200GB transfer, Cpanel. Their "support" is non-existent, though, but you could still outsource 3rd party support to someone like Platinum Server Managment ($30 a month), and still come in below your $89 a month for a lot better spec.
    FractalHost

That's not a bad price. Although I've never heard of serveraxis. However, I really do need 300 gb of bandwidth. Plus, full managment, rvskin, free client exec, ruby, and third part script assistance are all included. So it looks like the package I mentioned is a pretty good deal, afterall. Thanks for your replies.

If you are pushing 300GB of bandwidth through dynamic sites with PHP/MySQL then I would strongly advise aiming for more RAM.
    384MB, with CPanel will barely be sufficient IMO.
    Of course, if the majority is static pages/file downloads then it may be fine.
    FractalHost