Question for Runners ?

I'm 51 and I'm not a fanatic about running but I do run a 5K (3.1 miles) about 3-4 times a week. I don't run in the rain or snow but I like to run in hot weather. I find this article about our president a "little" misleading. I find it hard to believe that he can do basically a 5K in about 20.30 minutes. It takes me about 25.00 minutes and I think that I'm in better shape than he is.
    If you are a runner what do you think about this article? Do you think that Bush can really do that or is it just PR? http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...sh-fitness.htm

I doubt it - it's possible but that'd damn quick. According to those, I'm slower than him and I'm 21 and consider myself in pretty good shape.

Probly slanted.

-neil

My latest 5k was completed in 18.09 minutes. (According to my running partner.)

Bush's time is certainly possible for someone of his age, but I was shocked to hear that he'd made that accomplishment. (Just doesn't seem right.) I didn't think he was that healthy.

Originally posted by neil
    I doubt it - it's possible but that'd damn quick. According to those
    It's certainly a good time for someone in his 50s, but not unbelievably so. Confirming that general feeling with a web search for "5k results" I find any number of races where someone in the 50-59 range wouldn't have one their age group with a time of 20:30, and none (of the ten or 12 I looked at) where they would have... but all were in the top five of the age group, while sometimes not top 20 overall.

For a 21-year old you're not even competitive in a 5k unless you're comfortably under 20 minutes. Doesn't mean you're not in good shape, just not going to be winning many 5k races!

Since there were apparently a lot of people there, and split times being recorded, it seems pretty unlikely to me that the times aren't accurate. But think abou it: this guy has, for all his adult life, had jobs where he had no problem cutting out for a run -- most of the rest of us have a hard time fitting our exercise programs into our lives!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I really think he planned and trained for this. It's not something he though of the night before.

=) I hate running - give me something with two weels and pedals and I'll see ya in a couple of hours!
    neil MCITP, VCP

Originally posted by Shyne
    I really think he planned and trained for this. It's not something he though of the night before.
    I think that would be extremely difficult if not impossible for a 55 year old. Maybe a die hard runner - but not Bush. If I tried as hard as I could all summer I probably couldn't do that at my age and I'm 51. Guys running on the local high school track team are turning in times not much better than that and they are 16 & 17 year olds. I think it's a perfect example of untruths in the press.

Its a pretty quick time but far from impossible. I know older runners who are much, much faster. If he has been a regular runner for some time, this time should be achievable by a fit runner of his age who also happens to have some natural ability.

20:30 probably equals a 42 min or slightly longer 10K (I like the 10K, Half and full marathon) -- still a very good time for someone of his age but there are many his age who still can do this.

Vancouver has the second largest 10K runs in the world (45,000 runners) and you'd be amazed at how many older folks are turning in very good times.

Commendable!
    Last edited by mwatkins; 06-24-2002 at 01:32 AM.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Originally posted by web docta
    Guys running on the local high school track team are turning in times not much better than that and they are 16 & 17 year olds. I think it's a perfect example of untruths in the press.
    No offense, docta, but if your local high school track team's guys are running 7+ minute miles in the 5k they're not winning much! A good 5k time in that age group would be under 17 minutes.

I understand your point, and I'm not a fan of either George W. or the press. But I think that the press would be unlikely to sugar coat this kind of thing, for one, and that it'd be hard to fake with so many other people being there running as well. I think Shyne has a point: if this was planned for a long time and this was the focus of his training (and he probably has a coach and a well-organized training strategy) it could likely be one of the best times he's ever turned in. And I'm sure Bush would have no trouble getting an hour off every day for a run if he wanted to -- maybe he is a hard core runner.

Certainly more so than Clinton; I have a vague memory that he was doing a 10- or 11- minute pace. Bush at least looks more like he could be a runner.

Originally posted by JayC
    No offense, docta, but if your local high school track team's guys are running 7+ minute miles in the 5k they're not winning much! A good 5k time in that age group would be under 17 minutes.

I understand your point, and I'm not a fan of either George W. or the press. But I think that the press would be unlikely to sugar coat this kind of thing, for one, and that it'd be hard to fake with so many other people being there running as well. I think Shyne has a point: if this was planned for a long time and this was the focus of his training (and he probably has a coach and a well-organized training strategy) it could likely be one of the best times he's ever turned in. And I'm sure Bush would have no trouble getting an hour off every day for a run if he wanted to -- maybe he is a hard core runner.

Certainly more so than Clinton; I have a vague memory that he was doing a 10- or 11- minute pace. Bush at least looks more like he could be a runner.
    On the HS team there are a couple of guys who always win and they are turning in times of around 15-16 minutes. The majority are anywhere from 17-20 minutes.
    I did a 5K results search on various races and 20 minutes is an excellent time for a 55 year old from what I saw. I know that I'll never do that time again. I have never heard anything on the news that ever publicized Bush as a runner and I just have a hard time believing it. I'm not saying that it's impossible but it's improbable as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see him do it for myself.
    I'd be willing to bet a case of Krispy Kreme donuts that he can't do it.

In smaller 5K races you'd find that a 20:30 is probably top 3 in their age category.

In a very large race, I think you would find enough in that time range to feel more comfortable about it.

For me, its believable if Bush has been a regular runner for some time. Then its merely a matter of statistics - i.e., is he one who is blessed with some running ability. Ability and regular training, nothing extraordinary, is all it would take to turn in that time.

If he just got serious about running recently, then the time would be unbelievable to me.

One thing - I have to hand it to him for making the time to stay fit.

Originally posted by web docta
    I have never heard anything on the news that ever publicized Bush as a runner and I just have a hard time believing it. I'm not saying that it's impossible but it's improbable as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see him do it for myself.
    Well, I do remember during the campaign a couple of years ago a fluff article that compared the running results of Al Gore (another famous runner) and George W., and that Bush's results were far superior.

Turning now to Google, I find an article on a Michigan running site that quotes a December NY Times article as saying Bush runs a 7-minute mile and that his time had improved by "27-30 seconds" since September.

The runnning site letsrun.com has this article about a meeting Bush had with two star marathoners from Kenya which mentions that Bush "ran a marathon in 3:44 at the age of 46."

About.com's review of the the Running Encyclopedia mentions in passing that the book has an entry for "Bush, George W."

So there's evidence that the guy has been an avid runner for a long time, and that these results really aren't an aberration -- or that the media conspiracy to make it appear to be so runs much deeper than even web docta suspected!

Good digging JayC - that settles it. If Bush could run a 3:44 marathon 10 years ago and has kept up his running, then he certainly could run a 20:30 5K.

Now if it was Cheney... web docta you could beat him running on your knees!

Good for Bush. I'm not a fan of his but always admire other and especially older runners.

Originally posted by JayC
    Well, I do remember during the campaign a couple of years ago a fluff article that compared the running results of Al Gore (another famous runner) and George W., and that Bush's results were far superior.

Turning now to Google, I find an article on a Michigan running site that quotes a December NY Times article as saying Bush runs a 7-minute mile and that his time had improved by "27-30 seconds" since September.

The runnning site letsrun.com has this article about a meeting Bush had with two star marathoners from Kenya which mentions that Bush "ran a marathon in 3:44 at the age of 46."

About.com's review of the the Running Encyclopedia mentions in passing that the book has an entry for "Bush, George W."

So there's evidence that the guy has been an avid runner for a long time, and that these results really aren't an aberration -- or that the media conspiracy to make it appear to be so runs much deeper than even web docta suspected!
    Thanks for the research Jay! OK, so maybe he has been into running , I just wasn't aware of it. Now it's going to make me work even harder to match or exceed his time . I was diagnosed with a compound tear in my left miniscus about 2 years ago and I had to stop running for about 9 months. I opted not to do the knee surgery and it was a good decision for me. My knee feels almost 100% now but "they" say that you never heal from a torn miniscus.
    If the articles are true then I have to give him credit for taking the time to stay in shape, although I'm not a George W. fan !

=) I hate running - give me something with two weels and pedals and I'll see ya in a couple of hours!
    I second that ... running is hard on the body and slow. When was the last time you heard of a cyclist dropping dead? Well, when he wasn't on drugs.

16. When I was 14 and won 20th place in my school cross country I did a 20 minutes. I was a runner back then ( ahhh,the good ol days)
    I will be glad if I can even finish a 5k now.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by Rotifer
    I second that ... running is hard on the body and slow. When was the last time you heard of a cyclist dropping dead? Well, when he wasn't on drugs.
    I may be a runner but we have a fair collection of wheeled human powered things around the house, from running strollers to trail-a-bikes and a tandem in our near future.

I've not ever died running but came close to it on my bike once.

But I still ride. Guess I'm a 'fool' too

Yeah, I come close a fair amount. I have a trail-a-bike as well... damn I love that thing. Tandems are very fun, it's like having a trail-a-bike for your wife/girlfriend/partner ... trying to include everyone.

Originally posted by Rotifer
    Yeah, I come close a fair amount.
    I'm a retired (or is it reformed) bike racer (this will be my first summer with no races in more than ten years), and sometimes really do count myself lucky to have survived several seasons of racing NYC's crit circuits at Prospect Park and Central Park, not to mention the treacherous Floyd Bennet Field course, without being involved in any major crashes. And equally lucky to have survived thousands of training miles on the area's streets and highways... and crazy downhills on the mountain bike in the Adirondacks, or the probably-as-dangerous flat but crowded trails in Long Island parks.

So yeah, running seems pretty safe.

I have avoided road racing (since college) because dirt crashes are much more kind. I do commute to work by bike, though, and currently have road rash from hip to ankle. Phew ... racing in NY, I bet the elbows fly!

I've only been hit once, it was a good thing as it sparked a renewed interest in running, but memories of pain fade and I got back on my bike again.

We have kids now... cart them around everywhere in the bike trailer and/or the trail-a-bike. Bike touring is great with kids - they are far more tolerant of the time spent on the road than they seem to be in a car. Sadly, I live in an area where all the good touring is up and down and up and down but mostly seems up up up... (my kids are getting heavier!)

A couple of years ago I saw a guy with a bike trailer attached to his trail-a-bike. I'd hate to crash in that situation.. youch. The kids would probably find it funny.

Relating back to the original topic, it is true that Bush has run under 20:30 for 3 miles. He doesn't have anyone coaching him, he just likes to push himself really hard. This comes from people who have run with him on several occassions.

Hey, I'm finally a WHT poster!