I dont see the godaddy $1.99 special offer

I need to renew my domain name from godaddy and they have a special offer for $1.99 domain name renewals. When I try to renewal it it charges me $8.95. Is there something i'm missing.

AFAIK you only get the 1,99$ pricing if you buy a non-domain product

but you could try one of those coupons
    http://www.dealtaker.com/GoDaddy-cou...de-a528-c.html

I've used a few of them and it always worked...

This offer is valid only with ordering another non-domain product from them. Once you make an additional order, the price of the domain will change in your shopping cart automatically.

you need buy new product to get low price

It doesn't apply for renewals. Only with new domain purchases. Careful with Godaddy. Read other threads in this same exact folder.

Ok I have tested it to see if its going to be $1.99 in the cart and it was. So it is for renewals and I got mail today from home by godaddy to renewal for $1.99 . So this does apply to renewal but you have to put hosting in your cart or other services to see the $1.99 at the cart only for 1 year. I might as well change companies becuase I also need private registration which they dont offer free and is too much money. I even added a coupon and still too much.

So I found out the $1.99 works but you have to pay for a service. I am right now looking for the cheapest domain to transfer to with free private registration. I am in a tight budget right now. I will trasnfer one of my domains back to yahoo as I see I paid for it for 5 years. So i know were one of my domain will go too. The rest is what ever will be the cheapest.

Also one more thing I emailed godaddy support here is what I said

"Hello I wanted to know if there is going to be any promo running for renewals of domains with free private registrations for a very low price. If not can you possible make a coupon for it becuase right now I am seeing alot of company giving private registrations for free and domains for $4.95 with a extra year which makes it 2 years for $4.95 with free private registrations. Some also include free year of hosting with out ads. So I wanted to know if you can match the $4.95 with free private registrations. If not I might as well leave for the other company who is offering it. I would like to stay if you can match this or better."

and now I get a reply back with this
    "Thank you for contacting Online Support.

Unfortunately, we are not offering any discounts on domain and private registration renewals. As we highly value your new ideas, I will forward your information to our developers for future consideration. Please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] any time with any further suggestions you have."

You would of think they would lower the price or match it so they wont lose a customer.

Yeah... They'll never do it.

I have been with godaddy for many years. I don't trust them anymore. I'm moving my domains out of there as soon as I can. This deal about cancelling domains because some fool decided to send a fake email to their abuse department doesn't go well with me. When you have a forum, you create a lot of enemies. I just bought a domain last night with namecheap and they did have free whois registration.

Quote Originally Posted by pocde

"Hello I wanted to know if there is going to be any promo running for renewals of domains with free private registrations for a very low price. If not can you possible make a coupon for it becuase right now I am seeing alot of company giving private registrations for free and domains for $4.95 with a extra year which makes it 2 years for $4.95 with free private registrations. Some also include free year of hosting with out ads. So I wanted to know if you can match the $4.95 with free private registrations. If not I might as well leave for the other company who is offering it. I would like to stay if you can match this or better."

Unfortunately, we are not offering any discounts on domain and private registration renewals. As we highly value your new ideas, I will forward your information to our developers for future consideration. Please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] any time with any further suggestions you have."

You would of think they would lower the price or match it so they wont lose a customer.
    Exactly the same problem. They offered me discount coupons for First Registration and also Free Privacy. Now there is no discount coupons and free privacy is gone (USD 8+ for privacy renewals). Geez, they have great services but they are looting us.
    They give tiny email space (which is the size of some of my 2-10 photos). Even for EMail services...if you use all your Email accounts and storage space...then per email account storage space will be 2Mb!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous. They give only 1 FTP account for Windows hosting (no matter which plan you have). Ridiculous.

I really want to use 1and1 but why do they have bad reviews I can't understand.

Ok I have tested it to see if its going to be $1.99 in the cart and it was. So it is for renewals and I got mail today from home by godaddy to renewal for $1.99 . So this does apply to renewal but you have to put hosting in your cart or other services to see the $1.99 at the cart only for 1 year. I might as well change companies becuase I also need private registration which they dont offer free and is too much money. I even added a coupon and still too much.

So I found out the $1.99 works but you have to pay for a service. I am right now looking for the cheapest domain to transfer to with free private registration. I am in a tight budget right now. I will trasnfer one of my domains back to yahoo as I see I paid for it for 5 years. So i know were one of my domain will go too. The rest is what ever will be the cheapest.
    I am exactly in your situation. I need privacy and cheap domains. Are you thinking about 1and1? Should we try it? I am scared of them but they have great pricing.

I am curious to know why you guys spend extra on whois privacy? I mean why not just include fictitious addresses and or names in your domain whois? Just make sure that your email address is correct and you should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes
    I am curious to know why you guys spend extra on whois privacy? I mean why not just include fictitious addresses and or names in your domain whois? Just make sure that your email address is correct and you should be alright.
    no you're not. Especially with Godaddy I would not try that. They would also suspend your name just with entering e.g. No-Street 1, Postalcode 1234 etc.

And on internic.net you can send a complaint about an uncorrect whois information and through that you might get your name cancelled.

That's why they invented the WHOIS PRIVACY upgrades

i agree you would have to input your correct details in to avoid being suspended i would upgrade privacy

Quote Originally Posted by atmike
    no you're not. Especially with Godaddy I would not try that. They would also suspend your name just with entering e.g. No-Street 1, Postalcode 1234 etc.

And on internic.net you can send a complaint about an uncorrect whois information and through that you might get your name cancelled.

That's why they invented the WHOIS PRIVACY upgrades
    I really doubt this. Re goddady I doubt that they look at all their customer's addresses but even if they do you should be a bit more original that what you have suggested. For ex:

5/A Block 10
    Rashid Road
    Karachi
    Pakistan

Is that a genuine address or a fake one? How would you know? You could probably make similar addresses up for any country.

Re. internic etc. I believe they attempt to contact you via email before they take any action so as long as your email is correct you should be fine.

No I dont wanted to say that Godaddy will CHECK you address. Godaddy has an option to REPORT a wrong whois info for a domain registered with them - and as far as I godaddy know they might (?) suspend your domain for that also - not just in the case someone tells them that your domain sends spam - neither it's true or not...

an address mentioned from you can't be proved, that's true, anyway with the e.g. chinese or russian addresses they never can check it i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes
    I really doubt this. Re goddady I doubt that they look at all their customer's addresses but even if they do you should be a bit more original that what you have suggested. For ex:

5/A Block 10
    Rashid Road
    Karachi
    Pakistan

Is that a genuine address or a fake one? How would you know? You could probably make similar addresses up for any country.

Re. internic etc. I believe they attempt to contact you via email before they take any action so as long as your email is correct you should be fine.
    Why not to give wrong information:

1) Personally, I don't like giving wrong information for which I am paying. They are important domains for me...and I would never want to lose them, so I don't invite any troubles.

2) I hardly lie for these things...if you give me 500 million dollars for 5 years of work, well then in that case I may lie.

3) I pay with my credit card/bank/etc. So I need to give my real name there. So when I give my real name there...and back my Real Name with a fake address (of Pakistan, China or Russia or anywhere in the world)...so I am inviting big time trouble because sooner than later someone will check the WhoIs and find out and may report me. Even godaddy or any registrar can check my address from my credit card details and the one I gave in WhoIs (although my credit card address and current address may be different)...but even then...

4) The most important one...I want Privacy because I don't want others to know that Mr XXXXXXXXYAYAY XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (i.e. me) owns this domain...and there is no way I can give fake name in WhoIs (as proved in point 3).

So yes, don't mess too much with WhoIs information and give as much correct info as possible.

That's some of my reasonings.

Everyone for himself and do as you wish.
    - Just a small ordinary customer looking for cheap and best things backed with great customer support and honest business practises.
    - Not affiliated with anyone.
    - Looking for honest answers and giving honest responses.

A google search reveals some interesting info about this matter:

3.7.7.2 A Registered Name Holder's willful provision of inaccurate or unreliable information, its willful failure promptly to update information provided to Registrar, or its failure to respond for over fifteen calendar days to inquiries by Registrar concerning the accuracy of contact details associated with the Registered Name Holder's registration shall constitute a material breach of the Registered Name Holder-registrar contract and be a basis for cancellation of the Registered Name registration.
    icann.org/whois/wdprs-report-final-31mar05.htm

Dated perhaps but still relevant. Your registrar will contact you if they suspect anything. So a correct email address should suffice

Another third of them (34.9%) had Whois data that appeared to be accurate (note, however, that it is quite possible to supply Whois information that looks completely plausible, but is in fact bad).
    So they admit themselves that there is no way to ensure the accuracy of whois data

If you must know some registrars actually aid people, albeit perhaps unintentionally, in reporting inaccurate whois data. Registrars like directi allow you to make multiple contact info profiles that you can apply to any domains within your control panel.

Where have you seen a registrar offering 2 years registration with privacy for $4.95, what tlds were they offering at this price? When you consider that the registrar is paying $6 to the registry for .com & .net and $.25 to ICANN per domain per year it is not hard to see how much money a company would be losing to do such.

Quote Originally Posted by iwanttolearn
    Exactly the same problem. They offered me discount coupons for First Registration and also Free Privacy. Now there is no discount coupons and free privacy is gone (USD 8+ for privacy renewals). Geez, they have great services but they are looting us.
    They give tiny email space (which is the size of some of my 2-10 photos). Even for EMail services...if you use all your Email accounts and storage space...then per email account storage space will be 2Mb!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous. They give only 1 FTP account for Windows hosting (no matter which plan you have). Ridiculous.

I really want to use 1and1 but why do they have bad reviews I can't understand.
    Please keep this discussion factual, there is no need to make up lies. You can in fact get around the privacy on renewals, I do so myself if you'd like to know PM me about it. Email storage at 2mb? Every domain comes with a 25MB box, I know this is not much compared to the free services who are getting advertising out of you, but it is FREE without ads for the domain. 1 ftp user for windows account is correct on all shared hosting accounts (which go UP TO $15/m), if you need more switch to linux

mnu I was looking for the $4.95 again to show you. Right now I cant find it but will still look for it. Anyways yahoo.com is giving out $1.99 for a year to new customers. Netfirms is giving $4.95 with free email and free whois privacy. Ipowerweb is giving $6.50 for transfer plus a extra free year and free whois privacy. So yahoo, netfirms and ipowerweb is all losing money as you say but still giving great deal and prices.

mnu I was looking for the $4.95 again to show you. Right now I cant find it but will still look for it. Anyways yahoo.com is giving out $1.99 for a year to new customers. Netfirms is giving $4.95 with free email and free whois privacy. Ipowerweb is giving $6.50 for transfer plus a extra free year and free whois privacy. So yahoo, netfirms and ipowerweb is all losing money as you say but still giving great deal and prices.
    As far as I know yes for the first time because then they know the majority of the people will not switch the domain after the year (and renew at a standard rate) and quite a few would do hosting/email services to make it easier for them to have everything at one place. Yahoo does $1.99 first year and charges $9 for privacy knowing they will get most of the people on this cost instead. Netfirms is $4.95 first year and $9.99 thereafter. They all play gimmicks to get customers to switch...if you're okay switching your domain to a different registrar each time you want to renew then it'll work out just fine for you