Fully Managed VPS + Optimization

Based on my own research here, it sounds like if a VPS is setup well, it can be pretty fast (in terms of web site speeds). Most managed VPS hosts have a standard setup and it sounds like this is not the optimal setup. Are there any web hosts out there who not only fully manages VPS's but also offers optimization to tweak the servers? Is this normal or do users normally require outsourcing the optimization part to a 3rd party? If so, then why would you need a managed VPS host?

Quote Originally Posted by mealto
    Based on my own research here, it sounds like if a VPS is setup well, it can be pretty fast (in terms of web site speeds). Most managed VPS hosts have a standard setup and it sounds like this is not the optimal setup. Are there any web hosts out there who not only fully manages VPS's but also offers optimization to tweak the servers? Is this normal or do users normally require outsourcing the optimization part to a 3rd party? If so, then why would you need a managed VPS host?
    Your best bet is to just call up the hosts your interested in going with and ask, or send them an email or go on Live Help if they offer it.

There's plenty of other threads going around in this VPS Forum asking the same question, managed vs fully managed, and I'm pretty sure the response on all of them is the same: just ask what the company means by "managed".

-Sean

Thanks for the replies Sean. On this thread & others.

You are right, we will need to get some help to optimize our setup. We have a fully managed host and having been back and forth with tech support about our previous intermitent issues, they are now going to try and optimize Apache and MySQL for us.

From a business perspective, I wonder if there is a growing market for experts to come in and tweak server setups! I bet there is, I just haven't found them yet.

I know RapidVPS offer this, but their network isn't the fastest around and just recently they've taken the "initiative" of putting their prices up.

Quote Originally Posted by VT6
    I know RapidVPS offer this, but their network isn't the fastest around and just recently they've taken the "initiative" of putting their prices up.

What exactly do you mean with the second part?? I know there network ins't the fastest.
    GottaDeal.com - Hot Deals & Coupon Codes. Why Pay Retail?http://www.gottadeal.com/images/bann...eal-234x60.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Twista
    What exactly do you mean with the second part?? I know there network ins't the fastest.
    Their IPs used to be 2 for the lowest plan, 3 for the second and 4 for the top one.

Also the bottom plan used to be $10, middle $20 and top $30.

This is some time ago though.

You can have another company managing the VPS for you and optimize it as well. Do a search for a few management companies and you'll find quite a few that can do the job quite well..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Most decent VPS providers offering managed hosting will tweak your VPS to your requirements. Ask a few providers before deciding to ensure you know what you'll get once you do signup.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!