Parking a domain versus pointing domains at registrar level

I am wondering what are the differences between Parking a domain versus using the registrar to forward to your main domain? What are the advanatges & disadvantages of each method?

Well from what I have seen when you use the park feature at a registrar, what you are actually getting is a frame-redirect which means the top frame is 1 or 0 pixels and the main frame is what is redirect by javascript or whatever to the actual site.

When you park a domain with your web host you actually are pointing your domain's DNS to the web host's server and setting up a DNS zone and other configurations on that server, which are useful for things like email@parkeddomain.com and other features that may be available from the host.

Frame redirects are pretty much pointless other than they do the expected job. I am not sure parked domains through the host have any advantage. I were to do it, I would use a host's park over a frame redirect for personal reasons...

I suppose its a matter of personal preference.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    ۪Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    ¬Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat

My registrar allows me to forward mydomain.com to mydomain2.com. It's not a park but a forward. So back to my original question of when would I use Parking and when would I use forwarding on the registrar level?

What am I missing?

By parking I assume you mean pointing your nameservers to the host (not a default parked page for the domain when you don't have a site for the domain). In order to have the domain point to your hosting account, you need to point the nameservers unless you have a temporary URL provided by your host to point the registrar's forwarding page to since it will only forward to a URL, not the server's DNS service. It is always best to set your nameservers to point to those of your host.

I do apologize if I interpreted your question incorrectly, and please do correct me if I did!
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

I thikn I am confused now. Let me start over.

Someone pointed out that parking a domain means pointing all users who type in that domain to another domain. Unless parking means having a 1 page website?

If parking = pointing users to another domain, then I am wondering why you would do this at a server level and not at the registrar level. Using Godaddy for instance, you can forward any domains to another domain. So I was wondering why someone would park a domain versus just forwarding it at the registrar level. Hope that made more sense.

A parked domain is just an alias for your domain while a domain pointer is used to host a different site within your main site and has full functionality.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

Parking through a registrar is also commonly known as a single page ad that says "This domain was registered through xxx.com." A parked domain not on the registrar level can also be what freeflyer described. What you are referring to is most commonly known as "domain redirecting," I believe, and there is no problem doing this at the registrar level.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Quote Originally Posted by mealto
    Someone pointed out that parking a domain means pointing all users who type in that domain to another domain.
    I guess your definition of "parking" is a bit different from what most people understand it.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Yes, I think what I know to be parking may not be accurate. My knowledge has been from readin gother threads, which may or maynot be accurate.

So, does parking =:

1. Having a 1 page website?
    2. Pointing / redirecting to another domain?

Once we can agree on this, maybe I can ask my question again

cPanel and other hosts use the term "parking" to point domain "B" to domain "A"

Some registrars call "parking" the process where your domain is pointing to their ads pages, or to a page like "Under Construction" with their ads or links on it.

I've never heard "parking" referred to as a 1 page website. That is usually sold as a "one page website."

When I think of "parking" using a web host, I think of no ads, and a custom website.
    When I think of "parking" with a registrar, I think of advertisements or links.
    When I think of "one page website" I would hope that means your custom web page with no advertisements.
    When I think of "domain forwarding" I think of a frames-based (or other scripted) redirect to another website of your choice.
    Last edited by myusername; 12-02-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat

When I refer to a 1 page website, I meant the "Under Construction Page" so glad we agree on that.

As for this: "When I think of "domain forwarding" I think of a frames-based (or other scripted) redirect to another website of your choice."

I am not sure this is the only way. When I use Godaddy to forward a domain, users are actually recirected without the frame-based method.

Glad to know I am not the only one who was all confused with the term "parking". This should help alot of others as well.

Unless godaddy changed the way they do it, that was the specific registrar I was thinking of. You sure its not a frame? The source code of the page should reveal it if it is, though it might not look like one just by looking at it in a browser window. Does the domain remain in the address bar, or does it use the destination site's address in the address bar?

That will tell you for sure whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername
    Unless godaddy changed the way they do it, that was the specific registrar I was thinking of. You sure its not a frame? The source code of the page should reveal it if it is, though it might not look like one just by looking at it in a browser window. Does the domain remain in the address bar, or does it use the destination site's address in the address bar?

That will tell you for sure whats going on.
    I think this is where our disconnect is. You are under the wrong impression. Just checked one domain forward from godaddy and the address bar shows the new domian. ie. when you type 1domain.com, you are redirected to 2domain.com and checking source verifies that it's not a frame. I have seen this practice a while back and I think Godaddy still offers this but not sure why someone would use that method when the full redirect is available.

So now that we have this cleared up, why would someone park / redirect at a server level rather than the registrar level? Registrar is one level above the server level and theorectically should also has less of a chance to go down? Anyone?

Look at the web address url, when you park the domainB in cPanel - it redirects to the domainA but to domainB name. I dislike them. I park domain in registrar because it does change the domain domainB to domainA = domainA. You probably don't understand what I am saying.

Here is how..

Parked domain
    webhostingforum.com redirects webhostingtalk.com main domain, in the web address you will see webhostingforum.com instead webhostingtalk.com

Parked registrar (or redirect)
    webhostingforum.com redirects webhostingtalk.com main domain, in the web address you will see webhostingtalk.com instead webhostingforum.com

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBOLIS
    Parked domain
    webhostingforum.com redirects webhostingtalk.com main domain, in the web address you will see webhostingforum.com instead webhostingtalk.com

Parked registrar (or redirect)
    webhostingforum.com redirects webhostingtalk.com main domain, in the web address you will see webhostingtalk.com instead webhostingforum.com
    If I am understanding you correctly, that is exactly my point. Why would someone park at the server level (or what you call domain) instead of just redirecting / forwarding at the registrar level.

Any pros or cons to either of these. Just that I have seen many users complain about not being able to park at a web host. My question stil is (as from the original post), since it is better in most cases to redirect / forward at the registrar level, why would someone choose to park at the server level?

Parked domains (at a webhost) will resolve to the primary domain on that account whereas pointing the dns of a domain from the registrar to a sub directory folder on a hosting account would be considered an add on domain and would function as a separate site. Sub domains are redirects to the primary as well unless you used a mod_rewrite in .htaccess to point to another site or folder.

Hope this helps,
    Ratpatrol

Quote Originally Posted by ratpatrol
    Parked domains (at a webhost) will resolve to the primary domain on that account whereas pointing the dns of a domain from the registrar to a sub directory folder on a hosting account would be considered an add on domain and would function as a separate site. Sub domains are redirects to the primary as well unless you used a mod_rewrite in .htaccess to point to another site or folder.

Hope this helps,
    Ratpatrol
    Perhaps there is more than 1 way to redirect / point / forward at a registrar level. At least this continuing thread seem to suggest that. With many registrar nowadyas, you can actually do a full redirect without touching the DNS. Leave DNS for the registrar and use the redirect / forward function. When a user types in domain1.com, they will end up ata domain2.com.

Not sure I need to ask again... "But I still... Haven't found... What I was looking for..." <-- lyrics to a song.

There is a redirect function in Cpanel to do that or you can use a mod_rewrite method using an .htaccess file.

Good song btw

Quote Originally Posted by ratpatrol
    There is a redirect function in Cpanel to do that or you can use a mod_rewrite method using an .htaccess file.

Good song btw
    Hey Rat, what is the advanatage of doing this at the server level when you can do the same thing one level up at the registrar level? Is it convenience? Ease of management? No one has answered this yet.

I am not sure if this works the same for all servers but I remember trying both redirection methods and went for the server level because I could create unlimited email aliases for my second domain while with the registrar level I was limited to the registrar limits.

Then, I found that domain parking had no true email capabilities for any level so I decided to use domain pointers instead of domain parking
    Last edited by freeflyer; 12-06-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"