Hosting for small personal sites

I'm looking for a reliable host for a few personal, small websites. I expect it is almost entirely static html and small images. This would be used mostly for OOTP Baseball if anybody is familiar with that. Perhaps in the future I'd have a small photo gallery for sharing among friends/family.

Currently everything is using probably a total of 300MB. Bandwidth is next to nothing. I doubt I've used more than 2GB all year. So I'm guessing something along the lines of 1-2GB of disk space and 1-2GB of bandwidth per month (probably way overkill) would be more than enough.

I'd like to have ssh access as well, it's much easier to move/delete large numbers of files this way. And I prefer to zip up all the files, sometimes several hundred, and upload that, rather than ftp'ing a bunch of tiny files.

After a couple days of searching/reading here though, I haven't found much that seems to fit. Since this is just for friend/family use, paying 10-20 a month just doesn't seem cost effective. I'd like to keep it at $5 or so tops. And with as little resources as I'd be using, this seems fair.

Most sites seem to offer 100-200MB and 5GB a month, which is almost the opposite of what I need. So I tried contacting a few places about custom packages without any luck.

asmallorange - not quite enough storage probably, no custom packages
    hostpc - no ssh, doesn't respond to email either
    resellerzoom - don't really need a reseller account, prices seem more in line with overselling than with the high praise I see around here. A possibility though.
    dreamhost - perhaps cheap the first year, but not afterwards. Don't feel like playing the host hopping game.

I've tried the find a host, but that didn't yield much as the options are rather limited. The largest disk space option is >150mb? I checked ssh access, but all but one offer didn't even mention that in the reply. Frankly, it seemed no better than googling webhost and clicking the first few random results.

Any advice on where to proceed from here?

Hi!
    Your needs seems pretty much basics, do you have a preference in control panel? OS? do you need PHP/ASP.Net/Mssql/Mysql or anything like that?

I guess that you're not going to use much bandwidth, therefore, I guess that's not an issue.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I suppose if I eventually put up a gallery php and mysql would probably be needed? Other than that, nothing. Again, it is all just static html and small images at the moment. Control panel or OS doesn't really matter. I wouldn't be using it much anyway.

multiple domains is a must, at least 3. Possibly a few more over time, but they'd be tiny.
    multiple ftp accounts.
    multiple ssh accounts if possible, but at least one
    1-2GB disk space
    1-2GB bandwidth, really don't need much here

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Hi!
    Your needs seems pretty much basics, do you have a preference in control panel? OS? do you need PHP/ASP.Net/Mssql/Mysql or anything like that?

I guess that you're not going to use much bandwidth, therefore, I guess that's not an issue.

Well your budget for your request is most certainly almost on the dot. However in your list you are mainly looking at oversold providers that offer the world for basically nothing. Also looking for SSH access, that may be a bit hard to find on a reliable provider. If you want solid reliability and the comfort knowing that you will not be "playing the host hopping game" I suggest looking for a higher pricing plan (not too much higher) $5 probably wont cut it. That should be cost effective enough.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I see that you are starting out with a few personal sites, so a shared account with addon domains should work well for this purpose as you don't really need a reseller account, as that would be overkill, but if you feel that you are going to expand shortly, a reseller account may work well for you, but this is a decision that you will have to make so you can get a better idea of what hosts you want to be looking at.

Some hosts do offer SSH access in a "jailed" environment which is basically a restricted environment where many potentially dangerous commands are blocked to hold the integrity and security of the server. In most cases, hosts who do offer SSH access only offer it upon request, so it would be best to ask any potential host if they provide shell access upon request.

I would have to agree with HostFrog on increasing your budget slightly (even just a couple more dollars can put you into a different "level" of hosting).

Good luck in your search of a provider that works well for you
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

The search continues, no luck yet. I'm finding that there is no way to tell whether a host is overselling or not. Sure, it's easy for the ones offering 250GB bandwidth a month. But a host offering 500MB storage and 10GB transfer, could be overselling just as easily. Price isn't a good indicator either. If you can oversell at $5 a month, there is nothing stopping you from overselling at $7 or $10 a month.

For example, host A offers 25GB storage and 200GB transfer for $7.95, while host B is offering 2GB storage and 15GB storage for $7.95. They could both be oversold just as easily. No real way to know. So I must treat them as equals.

I'm not likely to need support, so it wouldn't seem to make much sense to pay a premium for 24/7 phone support. My only possible support complaints would be things like the site being down or not able to access my account.

And just because one reseller doesn't oversell doesn't mean that somebody else with a reseller account on the same server isn't overselling. So the logical conclusion there is to go with somebody that owns their own servers.

The more I look into it, the more I become convinced that going with one of the large, well known providers is the way to go. Sure, they oversell, but I least I know that going in rather than it being a surprise.

Is there some serious flaw in my reasoning here?

If a host is overselling or not, it really doesn't matter, that's not what you have to "research" about, you'll need to find if that host have a good support, how is their uptime, their customer service, etc.

Overselling or not, is just another business model, that some host who have another business model want to make it look bad.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I believe it is really HARD to find a host that is not overselling (unless the host is really new and hasn't reached the limits of his server). What you should maybe look after is a host that does not oversell in a massive way or like you said, go with one of the big names since that makes you feel more secure.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    If a host is overselling or not, it really doesn't matter, that's not what you have to "research" about, you'll need to find if that host have a good support, how is their uptime, their customer service, etc.

Overselling or not, is just another business model, that some host who have another business model want to make it look bad.
    Overselling in my mind is ok, as long as they are willing to make good on their offers. The thing I'd like to avoid is overcrowding, or overselling of system resources. This, t me, is the big one. A server shouldn't have so many accounts on it that it crawls, even if the host is perfectly happy to let you use your impossibly high amounts of storage and bandwidth.

I agree. Your main concern is the scalability of the provider. Not the fact if they oversell or not. In "many" cases cheap providers are going to provide you with just that (cheap service) You want to make sure that the provider offers a money back guarantee, fast effecient support and the server and network you are on is quality.

Your right, a server shouldn't be stuff like a teddy bear and that's what you have to research not the "is this host overselling"
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by otwobrew
    For example, host A offers 25GB storage and 200GB transfer for $7.95, while host B is offering 2GB storage and 15GB storage for $7.95. They could both be oversold just as easily. No real way to know. So I must treat them as equals.
    Quote Originally Posted by otwobrew
    Overselling in my mind is ok, as long as they are willing to make good on their offers. The thing I'd like to avoid is overcrowding, or overselling of system resources. This, t me, is the big one. A server shouldn't have so many accounts on it that it crawls, even if the host is perfectly happy to let you use your impossibly high amounts of storage and bandwidth.
    Congratulations! Some people take years to get to this realization, others still haven't got there

Another option for you could be Dotable's small plans (the "single domain" plans do include addon domains). As with any other supplier, check their reputation here. You might also want to start with a plan that gives you the disk space you need now (say 500Mb) and upgrade it later as necessary.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter