Another noob over whelmed

I used to host my own mail and web server, but my ISP put an end to that Just want a small family web site. Nothing fancy. Just a place to show off pics and web friendly vids.

All I want is the following.
    #1 Mail! The best possible webmail experience. Something more dynamic than Squirrelmail, or at least Squirrelmail as I have experienced it. Mail storage and larger message sizes are good. (This is very very important to me. This is the email account that I have all the important stuff sent to.)

#2 Easy to use web managment interface.

#3 Http upload capabilites. Kinda like an ftp client type interface but through http.

#4 Cost. The cheaper the better. Free trial periods are appreciated.

Those are the biggies. After that it's

#5 Image gallery. Preferably one where I can assign sub directories to individual family members so that they can upload photos. Also the easier it is for them to use the better.

#6 Password protect certain directories with in the site and also parts of the image gallery. Certain pics are fine for the whole world to see, and others you just want to share with family and friends.

#7 Storage space. From what I have looked at, this is unlikely to be a much of a concern. Most places seem to offer way more than I will be likely to use.

What I am not concerned about

#1 Bandwith limit. Not likely to be a problem. I am not that popular

#2 Custom scripts.

#3 Blogs, message boards, shopping carts, etc

What I have tried thus far.

****** - Could be happier with the webmail choices. Also mail has been slooow as of the last month. Sometimes taking over 24 hours to deliver. The webmail interfaces available all seem to be slow to load and use. Squirellmail is so slow that while waiting for it I can login to my yahoo mail delete all my spam, and the Squirellmail still has not finished loading. They also have @mail available but it is also slow. I do like the interface better, but it requires more steps to login. They use Coppermine for the Image Gallery. It's not bad but I am hoping there is something better.

Godaddy - Horrible interface. It was a huge advertisement. The customer service was very bad at first but I have recently had better results. I still have my name registered through them and am happy with that.

Live.com - Good for a very very basic site I guess. The services don't really seemed tied together. Seems pretty sloppy still. Also have a bad taste of email when it comes to Microsoft. I have never seen any email get spammed quite like a hotmail account, except maybe an AOL account.

Soo many options. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi

From having a read through your description, I recommend a Linux host pref using CPanel including Fantastico, as that can do what you want above.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Hello and welcome to WHT,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. You might also want to let us know whats your budged limit.

Most of *nix hosting companies that use cPanel as their control panel will offer you at least 2 webmail softwares (one is Squirrelmail which you have used, and Horde also nice webmail client).

Look after companies that come with Fantastico (numerous of preloaded php/cgi scripts, such as photo Galleries and much more).

Good luck with your site

I would agree with the above posters, any host offering cPanel with Fantastico will be able to offer what you're looking for.
    Horde is indeed a very good webmail client, a lot better and plenty more options than Squirrelmail for example.
    As for http upload capabilites, you could easily for example install net2ftp on your account, which is a handy http ftp client.

Perhaps you can take a look at the offers section, I'm sure you can find a quitable host from there.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Welcome to WHT mellowfellow. Looks like the problems you've had so far have been choosing a host that's either known for bad service, obviously overselling or Microsoft. Many people make the same types of choices, after all, everyone wants the biggest for the best price. Your right, there are many options. I usually tell people to hang out here a little while, and choose a handfull of hosts that you "think" will suit your needs. Search here for reviews and ask questions here. Then contact the hosts themselfs. Widdling your list down to the one you feel is good for you. As said earlier, CPanel hosts have fantastico that will install a variety of scripts for you, H-Sphere hosts have what's called EasyApps which does the same thing, one click install of a variety of scripts.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2Macs
    Welcome to WHT mellowfellow. Looks like the problems you've had so far have been choosing a host that's either known for bad service, obviously overselling or Microsoft. Many people make the same types of choices, after all, everyone wants the biggest for the best price. Your right, there are many options. I usually tell people to hang out here a little while, and choose a handfull of hosts that you "think" will suit your needs. Search here for reviews and ask questions here. Then contact the hosts themselfs. Widdling your list down to the one you feel is good for you. As said earlier, CPanel hosts have fantastico that will install a variety of scripts for you, H-Sphere hosts have what's called EasyApps which does the same thing, one click install of a variety of scripts.
    I could agree with you more Jim2Macs. Nicely put!
    REVCOM - Hosting websites since 2004!
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Offers the Cueburst Support Ticket System Exclusively
    Follow us on Twitter! @REVCOM_LLC

Also mail has been slooow as of the last month. Sometimes taking over 24 hours to deliver.
    That's definitely not good, although you need to make sure it's not the sender's fault. I had to wait for hours to receive some emails send from Yahoo, but the problem was not on my end.

#5 Image gallery. Preferably one where I can assign sub directories to individual family members so that they can upload photos. Also the easier it is for them to use the better.
    http://www.opensourcecms.com you can get a wuick glipse and read comments about several image galleries that are free. Coppermine is free as well, and so are all the applications that Fantastico (mentioned above by other fellow forum memebers) installs.

You can actually go to the developer's website, download it, and install it yourself, provided that you have the necessary knowledge (which IMO is rather important for any webmaster, professional or amateur). Whatever the case may be, always maintain a backup of your database on your own computer/devices.

Also, you need to keep your application up to date, via Fantastico (or any such tool) or manually. New releases fix security vulnerabilities. Using old software is an invitation to be hacked.

Free trial periods are appreciated.
    Most hosts stay away from free trials. It's risky to give access to your server to persons that you can't really hold accountable in any way. Spammers are quick to take advantage of that.

#4 Cost. The cheaper the better.
    Only provided that the quality is (roughtly) the same, in which case chances are that the price difference can't really be that big.

Good luck!

Thank you all

I really appreciate all the advice. The hunt continues

For ohoto gallery, I suggest you to visit http://gallery.menalto.com/ is a very nice piece of software
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

One other thing I for got as a must have. Webmail and the control panel must use port 80.

Looks like that knocks Hostgator out of the running

Not really, you can install Cpanelproxy and make the webmail work on the port 80 too
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore