Thread: Photoshop Users

Photoshop Users

I am new to photoshop and want to crop a ton of images at a time then use the save as web feature to keep the file small as possible. I don't mind cropping images but going to save as web each time is very annoying. Is there a way to save as web on a ton of files? I want to make them smaller file size.

Hi

Use a jpeg optimiser/compressor or similar products available in the internet. They can work on tons of images at once and can create thumbnails on the fly !

Hope this helps.

Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

Re: Photoshop Users

Theres a built-in macro, you train it, then it will reproduce it.

Originally posted by ClusterMania
    I am new to photoshop and want to crop a ton of images at a time then use the save as web feature to keep the file small as possible. I don't mind cropping images but going to save as web each time is very annoying. Is there a way to save as web on a ton of files? I want to make them smaller file size.
    -----My wife said it was ok----

I need instructions please

Its called an Action, but unless all of your images are the same size and whatnot, it wont help much. You can look in the help tutorials in PS on how to use actions, you just record what your doing, then it plays that action on files, then you can have it do a batch job (File/Automate) to do lots of stuff at once.

Now are you cropping? or are you thumbnailing?...

If your thumbnailing there are many many free programs that will do that for you... A good one I use is Easy Thumbnails.

Well.. If your cropping... William & Seib were correct. Macros will help.

Now these instructions will be for PS6 (I'm assuming that the version you are using b/c I can't remember a save for web in <6)

Now remember Save As For Web is usually only good for non-complex images (it saves as GIF files).... Use it for <256 color images or Text images. Other than that for photos you'd be better off using JPG compression for photos.

The way you construct a macro is fairly simple.

----

Goto - Windows -> (if Show Actions is an option, click on it; else go back to the main screen)

On the actions mini-window click the Folder icon.
    Create a folder called 'My Actions'
    click the the button that appears like a page.
    Change the name to whatever you feel will describe your action.
    Add a shortcut key. Like CTRL+SHIFT+W, etc...

Make sure your workspace is set up in the manner that it would usually be set up right after your crop your image and are about to save it.

Then click Record.

Now go through the steps you would usually do when saving the photo. Include closing the image your working with if you wish.

The on the actions mini-window click the Stop Button (the square).

--

Thats it... Your done.

---

When you want to repeat the steps that you just recorded. Click on the name of the actions that you created and click the play button at the bottom of the mini-window

---

Now back to another problem I was thinking about when writing this. Part of the function of Save As For Web is that fact that you can choose which version of the photo you want. Choose between the balance b/twn size and quality.

Now the problem is that with the macro(action) function you are set into a fixed set of steps. Now the problem arises when that chosen optimization (in the construction of the macro) doesn't always work the best for every photo...

None the less... I hope this helps.

Xatio is a pretty good program for optimizing pictures.

You can search at tucows.com for it.

I give a thumbs up compared to most optimizers outside.

How would people rate the built optimizer in photoshop 7.

Q: are there beter options?