just another Noobie asking for hosting

Hi,
    I have a couple of website which i want to host. 3-4 of my websites have a very good popularity expectation. one is a forum (expeting a huge increase in traffic soon) and other networking site. any recommendations

budget - 10$ per mnth
    Good email sending limit....
    good uptime but obvious

vps and dedicated is not an option cos just starting it... please help very desperate... very bad experience with hostdepartment........ my 30 day erfund gonna end on 2nd soon so finding a good host in 2 days please help........

Hi!

How many users at the same time does your forum have? and how much traffic all your sites (together) do they use?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

frankly saying i am gonna launch the site pretty soon and i can expect atleast 1000 members in the first mnth itself easy.... online members cant b guessed but its better to do contingency pplanning...

some hosts ive used
    siteground- prettt decent
    hostdepartment - bad really bad

my needs vary as it is forum it need sgood attachment space..... and netwrking site too needs attachment space.. so help please... i think atleast 20 gb for all my 4 sites may be enuf.. but aint sure the more the merrir.. as one poster said just like a cellphone whatever best 5-10$ can buy...
    Last edited by rochit; 11-30-2006 at 02:39 PM.

I know that you said that a VPS or a dedicated server is not an option, but depending how many users online your forum may have, you'll probably end there.

You seems to be a lucky guy, I only has read horror histories about siteground.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I know that you said that a VPS or a dedicated server is not an option, but depending how many users online your forum may have, you'll probably end there.

You seems to be a lucky guy, I only has read horror histories about siteground.
    pretty decent for a low traffice site.. but lemme see what happens when i start promoting the website

any good hosting guyz..

hows powweb
    startlogic
    hostmonster
    dreamhost
    midphase and those other over sellers.... any suggestion on those oversellers.. which may gfive a little better service

I suggest to use the search button on this forum, you'll get mixed reviews about them, but you'll probably get an idea of to who avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I suggest to use the search button on this forum, you'll get mixed reviews about them, but you'll probably get an idea of to who avoid.
    you seem to be a guru bro... can u suggest just the ones tht make the mark.. according to your experience on this board... i will then check the reviews..... what du say is good....

Thats 5gigs of diskspace per site, and as Jedito said it is very important (or at least to have a close view) of how many visitors your website will have in same moment, a shared hosting would not be able to handle a really busy forum (for example like webhostingtalk which has around 400-500 users online at the same time).
    I will have to agree with Jedito, you will most probably end up in a VPS (at least for the forum, since you have a popularity expectation for the forum, and popularity means traffic).
    Also the bandwidth is very important for you to know, you don't wanna find out in the last moment that the bandwidth that is assigned to you (once you get a deal and you get hosted ofcourse) is not enough for your website.

Kind regards,

(Edited: sheesh, i am really slow, while i was writing the reply you guys had already created a chat )

but lets say temporarily wat will be recommended

You have a decent sized list there, and certainly your budget falls under reliable hosting solutions =) As Jedito has mentioned look around for reviews on them. I wouldn't suggest an oversold plan simply for the fact that in many cases they impose strict resource limits. Remember with providers (typically) you can upgrade for nothing. So if you need to upgrade upgrade. As you grow so should your budget.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

You should be able to find a great deal of web hosts that will fit your needs if you search the forums. I would try to stick to a web host that doesn't have a lot of overselling on their servers. What I mean is try to stick with a web host that is not advertising something like "50GB of storage and 100GB bandwidth a month for $3.95 a month." That is just asking for trouble.
    REVCOM - Hosting websites since 2004!
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Offers the Cueburst Support Ticket System Exclusively
    Follow us on Twitter! @REVCOM_LLC

Time is really short for you it seems. Just waiting for recommendations to come is not really an option and you'd have to check if the general opinion fits the recommendation anyway. It's pretty clear you should be already moving your sites.

You seem to know that your expectations must be in line with your budget (as it is in relation to your space and data transfer requirements), and that's a good thing. Set your expectations too high, and you're bound to be hit hard by reality.

Anyway, IMO it's simply time for the hands on approach: read threads in this section of the forum. I bet that in the first 100 threads, most of the overselling hosts that attract the buzz around here are mentioned countless times. Collect their names and then check each host's overall reputation. Reviews are likely to be quite mixed, and choosing one host out of the bunch, a pretty hard decision. Flip a coin if you have to.

My recommendation is to do what you have to do now, but as soon as you're settled a bit, start thinking long term. Your sites need to be able to sustain themselves properly if you don't have the money to do it. Bottom of the barrel hosting is not an option if you aim for success. Make that your first priority! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rochit
    ...i think atleast 20 gb for all my 4 sites may be enuf.. but aint sure the more the merrir.. as one poster said just like a cellphone whatever best 5-10$ can buy...
    Are you looking for 20GB of storage for $5-10 per month? Am I missing something that the rest of the members are understanding, as I am seeing that your requirements are much too high for your price range?
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

I think that he mean 20 GB of bandwidth (answering to my question of how much traffic all his sites have)

I think that he mean 20 GB of bandwidth (answering to my question of how much traffic all his sites have)
    Maybe, but it also seems like all the hosts on his list offer 20GB+ of space.

If you are a lucky person like me, DreamHost can be good.
    It probably depends on which server you get placed.

PowWeb was once pretty good with redundant clustered setup.
    But it was sold to incompetent/unethical company and I don't recommend it anymore.
    I still use them for a backup of backup, though.
    They still have redundant clustered setup, but they use non-standard configuration,
    and some of Apache directives doesn't work.
    They also like to hide things.

DreamHost is crazy in many ways, but they are at least open about it.

well i have zero day left.. i wud be applying for refund from hostdepartment so looking out for hosting provider.....

zeroed in dreamhost - only has a strict email policy
    bluehost- good
    mediatemple after 7 mnths....

any other recommendations..

wat abt hostmonster