Who is the best domain registrar?

Hi All,

Who is the best registrar? I heard eNom was ok but everyon here seems to hate them... What about Tucows? I heard they were quite good but haven't read anything on here... IS GoDaddy any good?

What do you expect from your registrar?
    Signature Under Construction.

Well I was thinking of going to StarGate, but read these questions asked of them
    Do you have a demo of the CP?
    Do these domains include domain privacy?
    Does it offer auto-renewal?
    How often are renewal reminds sent out?
    Their domains don't include domain privacy, and no auto-renewel... before I read this it didn't even cross my mind as these things seem like they should just be standard options with a domain...

Quote Originally Posted by tomyknoker
    What about Tucows? I heard they were quite good but haven't read anything on here...
    Tucows IS GOOD, except that they are pricey ($10+). And with that, few users here are able to resell, not to say making any profit.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

We never make any profit. It's all done for the charity of other domainers, who also don't make a profit

Definitely NotRegisterfly.com!

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    We never make any profit. It's all done for the charity of other domainers, who also don't make a profit
    Stu you seem realy knowledgeable when it comes to domains... Who would you recommend would really appreciate your opinion...

Fabulous.com has been the best, hands down. That's who I recommend. Name.com is also a reputable company with good support staff.

I took a look at Fabulous they look sleek... But do I need alot of domains upfront to get an account? I am using WHMCS and they only offer these domain registras:
    Domain Registrars
    Enom
    DirectI
    RegisterFly
    Stargate (NEW!)
    Are any of these worth using? I am not sure if I can add other registras into WHMCS??

Enom would probably the safest that I know of on that list. Registerfly would be the worst registrar in the history of the internet. Stargate, I'm not sure but if your domains are important to you, then go with the company that has a reputation for support response. DirectI, never used.

Fabulous I believe you have to have 50 domains plus but they may have changed that. The difference between companies such as Fabulous.com and Registerfly.com is that Fabulous is looking more for quality not quantity and Fabulous is a good company that will be around in 5 years. Registerfly... well, they've spoken for themselves.

Hello tomyknoker,

I guess you can find good and bad reviews on most registrars. f.e I am currently not happy with Enom because I made the mistake and registered a .DE domain with them.
    It took them 2 weeks to sort out some invalid nameserver issue. You will also find many bulkregister threads on WHT.

Similar stories exist for other registrars.

As you know there are many to choose from

Directi, Enom, Moniker, Opensrs, Stargate, Namecheap.

I have chosen Enom because of their reliability and speed. If you have a dispute with a hosting company that can be worth gold.
    However the support at Enom isnt necessarily fast. Expect response times from 1-2 days.

Namecheap has a nicer interface.

Its impossible to try them all unless you have hundreds or thousands of domains (which is not the case yet for me).

Anyway good luck with your search.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I'd sign-up for a free $8.95 reseller account (you don't need to sell anything) at http://www.domainsmarty.com/resellers.php which would give you an eNom sub-account with a large eNom ETP. You will be charged a 3% fee for prepaying by credit card or paypal. But that's small change. I'd also recommend NameCheap which charges $8.88 and there's always a $0.90 coupon floating around. They are also an eNom ETP who use their own control panel. It's not as good as eNom's but it has a few nicer features. They have great privacy if you use that. Support is not fantastic at NC. It's a bit slow sometimes. These 2 recommendations are based on their track record and control panels. You might be seeking something else from your registrar.
    Last edited by stub; 11-30-2006 at 10:39 PM.

What's an eNom sub-account, like how does that work?

I'd sign-up for a free $8.95 reseller account (you don't need to sell anything) at http://www.domainsmarty.com/resellers.php which would give you an eNom sub-account with a large eNom ETP. You will be charged a 3% fee for prepaying by credit card or paypal. But that's small change. I'd also recommend NameCheap which charges $8.88 and there's always a $0.90 coupon floating around. They are also an eNom ETP who use their own control panel. It's not as good as eNom's but it has a few nicer features. They have great privacy if you use that. Support is not fantastic at NC. It's a bit slow sometimes. These 2 recommendations are based on their track record and control panels. You might be seeking something else from your registrar.
    Hey Stu, I signed up with Domain Smarty and now have access to the enom site! Yay! So do I need domain smarty for anything now? The ionly thing I was annoyed about was I was going to move all my domains over, I thought this would be free as it helps out the regsitra

You will need them if you require any support, but if you are smart enough to understand the control panel, you probably won't need much by way of support.

Hehe. Transfer aren't free anywhere Just transfer them as and when they need to be renewed.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Registerflies
    Registerfly would be the worst registrar in the history of the internet.
    Many people thought Network Solutions was the worst registrar in the history of
    the internet.

To the OP: the question isn't "who's the best registrar?". The real question is
    "what registrar meets my needs the best?", which only you can possibly answer
    based on your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan
    Many people thought Network Solutions was the worst registrar in the history of
    the internet.
    Yes, they definitely were. They may be better now, but I'm still recovering from my horrible experience there years ago.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback! This is a little of topic but because registras sell them I thought I'd ask it here... I just bought a SSL Certificate from GoDaddy from $19.99, when other go for $80.00 it makes me wonder is there anything dodgy about these?

In the words of one wise old bard "There is no best registrar, only the best registrar for you".

In the words of one wise old bard "There is no best registrar, only the best registrar for you".
    To be honest, I always find that an "un-statement". (But then "un-statement" per se is a "non-word".)

Hey Guys,

The past few days I found these guys, they seem really good... Any opinions? They also have $10 SSL Certificates too! http://www.resellone.net/ Two things I can't work out, they say something about EV1 (are they a reseller of EV1) also I read on a forum that someone purchased an SSL through ResellOne and it was registered via Tucows... Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tomyknoker
    Hey Guys,

The past few days I found these guys, they seem really good... Any opinions? They also have $10 SSL Certificates too! http://www.resellone.net/ Two things I can't work out, they say something about EV1 (are they a reseller of EV1) also I read on a forum that someone purchased an SSL through ResellOne and it was registered via Tucows... Any ideas?
    resellone.net IS EV1. They were a Tucows/OpenSRS reseller but have got their own ICANN accreditation now; and perhaps that's why the SSL certs are still from Tucows.