Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,975

    Anyone involved with stocks?

    I'm curious if anyone here does stocks? I am looking to get involved however I'm not sure what I should invest in or where to even start. I've noticed google stocks have been rising really high however that also makes me wonder how long it'll last. Would it be wise to invest in newer companys or say the defense industry?
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    813
    I invest few thousands in Google's stocks and so far I am really happy with the results

    G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

  3. #3
    Here are my 2 pennies worth, note that my health has forced me to close any positions in all stocks so I am no longer in the market at all except for play money with the Yahoo tech buzz game(which I am in 2nd place)

    As a new investor, you need to decide your goals. It is very tempting to go for the stocks with the highest potential rewards, unfortuantely these are also (usually) the stocks with the highest potential losses. It is usually wiser for the newbie to settle for the low risk low reward type stock. This will allow you to learn the markets without possibly giving up your life savings. Once you have a better understanding of the markets you may choose to start putting a percentage of your capital into more high risk/high reward type offerings. I would never suggest placing more than 25% total investment into these at any one time.

    Some of my favorites have been:
    ABM: A great "learners" stock which I have found to be very difficult to lose money in. If timed right you may be fortunate enough to be involved with another stock split.

    LUB: This was a huge risk getting into this stock Lubys is (was) a locally owned restaraunt chain which always had its fair share of troubles. At one point they were closer to bankruptcy than I am to my coffee maker. I watched this go down to 1.19 before I even considered it, then in a matter of months I watched it go to 13+. Currently I think it is a little high and would not look at it until it was in the 8.50 range, then you should also look at the fundamentals to see if there are any reasons for the drop other than an "overpriced stock".


    PDC: oil, oil and more oil, this company specializes in ONSHORE drilling, After last yearshurricane season it was a real wakeup call to investors as they saw offshore rigs being destroyed left right and center. Shares rose throughout the season to see allot of the profit taken from the table as the cooler months kicked in. This years season was weak at best and did not see the large gains of '05. IMO this sets up nicely for the smart investor. I would probably buy some small parcels now and continue to buy only small until mid february when the weather starts warming I think it will continue to hold steady and possibly drop a bit until this time. Come March you should be sitting on a stock that could make you great money over the summer.

    Look for stocks with good volatility always rising and falling, but at the same time showing good upward trends. This gives great opportunities to buy dips and sell for a few points without having to let your money sit too long.

    In times of war, as you mentioned defense stocks have always outperformed. This may sound strange but go rent a good war movie and sit down with a pen and paper, turn the sound completely off. Who cares about the plot, we are watching this for money! Make a huge list of everything you see the troops touch.

    1: guns
    2: humvee
    3:......

    Them guns sure must be cleaned alot, sure wish I had stock in the company selling the supplies there!

    I wonder, do those humvees use goodyear tires?

    I think you get the picture.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Here are my 2 pennies worth, note that my health has forced me to close any positions in all stocks so I am no longer in the market at all except for play money with the Yahoo tech buzz game(which I am in 2nd place)

    As a new investor, you need to decide your goals. It is very tempting to go for the stocks with the highest potential rewards, unfortuantely these are also (usually) the stocks with the highest potential losses. It is usually wiser for the newbie to settle for the low risk low reward type stock. This will allow you to learn the markets without possibly giving up your life savings. Once you have a better understanding of the markets you may choose to start putting a percentage of your capital into more high risk/high reward type offerings. I would never suggest placing more than 25% total investment into these at any one time.

    Some of my favorites have been:
    ABM: A great "learners" stock which I have found to be very difficult to lose money in. If timed right you may be fortunate enough to be involved with another stock split.

    LUB: This was a huge risk getting into this stock Lubys is (was) a locally owned restaraunt chain which always had its fair share of troubles. At one point they were closer to bankruptcy than I am to my coffee maker. I watched this go down to 1.19 before I even considered it, then in a matter of months I watched it go to 13+. Currently I think it is a little high and would not look at it until it was in the 8.50 range, then you should also look at the fundamentals to see if there are any reasons for the drop other than an "overpriced stock".


    PDC: oil, oil and more oil, this company specializes in ONSHORE drilling, After last yearshurricane season it was a real wakeup call to investors as they saw offshore rigs being destroyed left right and center. Shares rose throughout the season to see allot of the profit taken from the table as the cooler months kicked in. This years season was weak at best and did not see the large gains of '05. IMO this sets up nicely for the smart investor. I would probably buy some small parcels now and continue to buy only small until mid february when the weather starts warming I think it will continue to hold steady and possibly drop a bit until this time. Come March you should be sitting on a stock that could make you great money over the summer.

    Look for stocks with good volatility always rising and falling, but at the same time showing good upward trends. This gives great opportunities to buy dips and sell for a few points without having to let your money sit too long.

    In times of war, as you mentioned defense stocks have always outperformed. This may sound strange but go rent a good war movie and sit down with a pen and paper, turn the sound completely off. Who cares about the plot, we are watching this for money! Make a huge list of everything you see the troops touch.

    1: guns
    2: humvee
    3:......

    Them guns sure must be cleaned alot, sure wish I had stock in the company selling the supplies there!

    I wonder, do those humvees use goodyear tires?

    I think you get the picture.
    Good post, reason I mentioned the defense industry is it looks like we have a long time ahead of us to fight terrorism and the defense industry is making a ton of money producing bombs and new technology that kills less civilians and more of the bad guys while maintaining the infrastructure. A lot of this new technology has been praised, a few companys I was looking at were Lockheed Martin, Elbit, Rafael, Boeing, and others. I'm sure it would be wise to invest in some of the small arms manufacturers as well like Heckler and Koch since they are the ones developing the new assault rifle for the US military (XM8). Oil companys I'm curious if they are still worth investing in? Would it be better to invest in new types of energy?
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NationHosts
    I'm sure it would be wise to invest in some of the small arms manufacturers as well like Heckler and Koch since they are the ones developing the new assault rifle for the US military (XM8). Oil companys I'm curious if they are still worth investing in? Would it be better to invest in new types of energy?

    Personally, I think you are looking at the defense stocks with too narrow a mindset. You see gun and think gun, you see tank and think tank. When you see a tank and see the sand I think air cleaners and filters. gun mfgrs provide a fairly steady supply in times of war or peace, never have the military needed gun cleaning supplies as they do now and never have we had the supply that is needed during the recent campaigns.

    If it is something that the supply is steady you will not see much in terms of share price increase or dividends. Think off the wall and you will see moderate share rises but you should see even better dividends.


    New types of energy can be a great investment, but as stated high risk /high reward. IMO onshore drilling does not have the risk of new energy, therefore may or may not produce the same rewards.

    If you asked me "I have 100,000 invested in low risk stocks a, b, c, d and e which are all low risk/reward type offerings. I also have 20,000 to invest in something else" then I may suggest going high risk. When you say you are starting out I must suggest avoiding new energy completely.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    I used to be big into stocks in the day.... mostly long-term investing (large companies). Then I started investing in myself (my business, other business ventures), which proved more profitable. I still hold a bunch of stock from back then... I'm long-term anyway.

    Anyway, stocks is nothing more than getting lucky, unless you know how to read balance sheets, income statements, stay up on reports (quarterly, etc), and other information. Even then, it is still a lot of luck (I'm talking average joe blow). If it were "easy" money, we all would have got google at $150.

    Whatever you do, don't listen to those reports that say "buy" or "sell". I've seen people get into stocks and lose money by letting someone else do the research for them.... but I'm not saying having someone else manage your stocks is a bad idea... I've known a few of my military buddies in VA who hired a pro to manage their port and do very well. A risk there as well....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,920
    I've got stock in several places right now. Certainly not a lot of money.

    I have a management company that manages all my investments though. I don't do anything myself. If I did I'm sure i'd be broke
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,554
    Ive been looking at some for a bit and trying to understand it all.

    There's a show on TV called wall street warriors on INHD http://www.mojohd.com/shows/wallstreetwarriors/ pretty neat stuff.

    My bank has a Financial Service for buying stocks bonds and the others gonna go walk in and bug them
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-09-2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

    (310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,168

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    501
    **sigh**
    Since you are just starting out, go to the library and get the book "How to Make Money in Stocks" by William J. O'Neil. It is the only book you need you'll need. You'll pick up other little tricks along the way by yourself but never listen to anything on stock forums/boards.

    It's easy to do if you don't panic. Never let others handle your money cause they make their money whether you do or not. Do not daytrade (coming from one who made a ton doing it). Long term investing is for people who lost money. Never consider any stock purchase an 'investment' or 'long term'.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by JHServers
    I would advise strongly AGAINST investing in defense stocks. With the new government (being democrats) the defense industry will slow down a lot. Republicans usually do big spending on defense, but democrats do not.
    That's why you would buy when there are Dems in power, then the stocks will surely rise when someone else has to increase defense budget Stocks are a long term thing, he can afford the wait.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    That's why you would buy when there are Dems in power, then the stocks will surely rise when someone else has to increase defense budget Stocks are a long term thing, he can afford the wait.
    They're bloated from Republican power. Defense contracts will go down, and so will the stock value of defense companies. Then when they hit their low point, and Republicans regain control, you can buy them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •