Dedicated Server For Adult Hosting

i hope I am posting in the correct section.Need some help here.

What are the bare minimum specs to start an adult video site?
    Last edited by otisdog; 11-30-2006 at 07:54 AM.

how much videos you got? and how big files pervideo? just use simple matyh calculation to know the min specs.

about 2000 videos

per file is about 100 megabytes?

I would say you want at least a 250GB Hard Disk (if not bigger), maybe 10mbit unmetered network connection. Is this simple downloads or will it have a PHP/MySQL or ASP.net site on it?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

So you need around 200GB for the storage of the videos? What I would recommend is a server with x2 hard disk drives - one for storage of the media and the other for system files. This is easy to do on either a Windows or Linux server but obviously cheaper on Linux because you don't have the Windows license fee.

You probably want to start with a good allocation of data transfer so you don't end up paying excess fees. Once you're established you can see what kind of transfer requirements you need and upgrade the limit from there. I'd probably recommend 400GB of data transfer initially.

The remaining specs of the server - CPU, RAM, etc aren't really that much of an issue so long as they're good enough to begin with. You probably want around 1GB of RAM.

What the price is going to be will depend on where you have the server located. UK prices will be more expensive than US prices, generally speaking.
    David

IMHO you need SATAII or SCSI HDD. RAM 1GB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olate
    You probably want to start with a good allocation of data transfer so you don't end up paying excess fees. Once you're established you can see what kind of transfer requirements you need and upgrade the limit from there. I'd probably recommend 400GB of data transfer initially.
    I would say you have very much underestimated how hungry adult sites are.

From experience with the adult sites we host, bandwidth usage is often massive from the very beginning. Take for example a site that went live two weeks ago is doing over 400GB a DAY.

You also need to remember on static sites where just videos / pages are being served, RAM is more important than CPU.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    I would say you want at least a 250GB Hard Disk (if not bigger), maybe 10mbit unmetered network connection. Is this simple downloads or will it have a PHP/MySQL or ASP.net site on it?
    Simple downloads with a lil PHP

I'd reccomend a minimum of 1-2GB of ram, Raided HD's, 400GB+
    Probably 10Mbps unmetered if not more. I'm sure your hosting company can reccomend something, but it is dependant on what you're serving up...
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

i would recommend dual xeon with roughly 4gb ram and also 500gb+ storage space also a unmeatered line would be a must have i would also make sure security is made very tight.

How much will such a hosting cost a month?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    I would say you have very much underestimated how hungry adult sites are.

From experience with the adult sites we host, bandwidth usage is often massive from the very beginning. Take for example a site that went live two weeks ago is doing over 400GB a DAY.

You also need to remember on static sites where just videos / pages are being served, RAM is more important than CPU.

Dan
    You need at least 100Mbps Bandwidth for that,also x*250G Raid Driver,this should $1300+/mo
    if your site start just now,you don't need so much bandwidth,I think 20Mbps bandwidth would be required also.

20Mbps? Hmm

Will that be around $1300 a month too?

Bandwidth-wise I would say "it depends" on how it's going to be advertised and where it's going to be advertised. If you are going to throw "free teaser" galleries to all of the popular TGPs out there then you better pack a good amount of bandwidth. I would talk to the host/datacenter and find one that let's you buy what you need now but has some flexibility if you go over at least until you know what you will use.

Example: Colo4Dallas has the "turn back time" flexible burst pricing.
    Burst happens. But you shouldn’t be penalized for it! Colo4Dallas offers flexible pricing to accommodate overages that are bound to occur. We even allow you to adjust the pricing for your previous month. For example, if you sign up for 200GB and end up using 700GB, we will allow you to change not only your current month, but also your previous one.
    http://colo4dallas.com/news_specials.asp

As far as the hardware goes, I would not get a low end processor (read Celeron). You could go middle ground with a single chip dual core Pentium or Opteron. If you have 2000 100mb videos now prepare for the fact that you might double that quickly specially if you start using a "content provider". With this in mind... think 500gb storage with at least RAID 1 (the TGPs will kick you out if your site does not resolve because of a failed drive). Ram? no less than 2gb.

That's to start.

Just my opinions since I have had my feet wet with clients in this field before (successful ones).

Good luck!
    Last edited by TCP/IP Warrior; 12-01-2006 at 02:09 AM.
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

Quote Originally Posted by otisdog
    20Mbps? Hmm

Will that be around $1300 a month too?
    DualCore 3.0 server with 2G RAM, 4*200G Raid5 Driver
    would be $350+/mo

Prices are much different from each companys.some company would be $500+ for that.

Thanks alot guys.

Anything else I need to know?Can anyone PM reliable webhostign cmopanies that allow adult hosting?

Check the offer forums to find a company,contact their sales for custom quote.
    A majority of companies allow adult hosting.

Also , read the companies TOS and ask alot of questions before you go with them.