Liquidweb - whats the story?

Hi all,

I contacted liquidweb this morning from the UK. The phone was answered right away and the sales guy was more than helpful. No BS or any hard sell which is definately a plus.

There prices seem very fair in relation to what they are offering but I would love to hear your comments about liquidweb and especially comments about their managed service. This is definately an important aspect for us as we do not have any server management experience and any company we outsource to must be able to deal with all levels of support.

Travis, please PM me. for some reason my account will not let me PM anyone at present. Would love to chat with you.

Thank you,

Ryan
      0 Not allowed!

First welcome to WHT. There are many Liquidweb reviews, do search. You will find plenty. Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

Very good company, their support is very good also. The plus here is that if you have an emergency, you'll be able to call them, must of the times they will fix the problem right there with you on the phone. Their management is kind of proactive, meaning that must of the patches are applied to the server without you requesting.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcmaster
    Hi all,

Travis, please PM me. for some reason my account will not let me PM anyone at present. Would love to chat with you.

Thank you,

Ryan
    Hi Ryan,
    Thank you for your interest in Liquid Web. Unfortunately, I can't Private Message you yet. I believe it is because you are new to Webhostingtalk and need to have 5 posts before being able to send or receive PM's. You can feel free to email me directly at tstoliker (at) liquidweb.com

Have a great day!
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Travis,

Not to worry. I will hopefully be ordering the server this week. I hope it all goes smoothly

I really want to uplaod the rackspace contract :-

Regards,

Ryan
      0 Not allowed!

Liquidweb has been great for me so far. It's only been a few months now, but I am VERY impressed.
      0 Not allowed!

Im very pleased with liquidweb. iv bean with them for 18 months
      0 Not allowed!

I've had a vps at LiquidWeb for around 6 months now. They've been very professional and courteous. I have a lot of questions and they've been very patient to answer me and not treat me like a noob.
      0 Not allowed!

For me big plus was that I was able to negotiate very good price for mutliple servers when I ordered with LW.
      0 Not allowed!

I've heard very good things about LiquidWeb. Seems like an excellent shop.
      0 Not allowed!

I tried liquidweb before and i can say its marvellous.. As what 'technodiva' has said, their support is patient to answer and help you out in every problems you have...
      0 Not allowed!

I have had a dedicated managed machine with liquidweb for 2+ years ... I have machines at many datacenters (eggs in different baskets and lets me compare and know what I should expect).

For managed dedicated servers they are very good. Like others have said, you can call there and get a human. They will solve most problems right while you are on the phone (or offer to call you back). Sometimes it is nice to ask a question before you put in a ticket .... one of those if/then type questions.

I find it to be a GIANT difference if you can actually phone a company. Don't get me wrong; many companies run very excellent opreations via email/ticket systems. I deal with such companies, however, the companies I can actually call on the phone, are the ones who are more likely to get my business (all other things remaining equal ... if that is possible ;-)

Hope this helps.
      0 Not allowed!

Very Dissappointed...

Those with good experiences, consider yourselves very lucky--maybe you all have linux servers.

My story is quite different. I have a Windows/Plesk 8.1 managed server for almost 5 months now. Support for windows/plesk has been minimal since the beginning. There is maybe a couple of guys at LW who know Windows enough to help me troubleshoot my server issues. Because I know that Windows help is scarce from LW, I try to fix the problems first and then call them when I am stumped. I would say that 99% of the time, they are stumped too. I remember an incident I encountered one evening where there was a permissions issue with my FTP. After 3 hours I got a reply asking what my issue was after already speaking with a tech and submitting a ticket. The techs in the evening are even more clueless about Windows. I got my brother to fix the perms issue and he is nowhere close to an experienced server admin. I closed the ticket for that incident and the tech working on that ticket emailed me back asking how it was done so he can know how to fix something like that in the future. ??? I emailed him with details of what I did.

This is my first dedicated/managed server--a newbie trying to learn how to manage my own server although not by choice. I tried hiring a windows server mgt company but ended up getting a refund because they could not fix my issues after a week's time. My monthly hosting fee went from $60/mo. to $240/mo. So far not that much has changed in the 'peace of mind' department. I am a web designer with 20+ clients who rely on me for hosting. I decided to get a managed server with LW so that I can have more control over email/spam filtering and all the other benefits that come with having my own box.

CURRENT ISSUE:
    My Plesk CP went down yesterday afternoon. It started with a mySQL error. A total reboot on their end(I could not do it on remote desktop) allowed me to log on to Plesk but the mySQL was still down as I could not add a new database and a database on one of my clients' site has been down since then as well as my other sites. Last night at 11PM my email(Smartermail) stopped working and all is completely down by then. I called them this morning and they said Plesk software got compromised and will get it resolved asap.

It has been almost 24 hours and I have not received one email reply on the status. I submitted another ticket this morning on their PIMS system. Yesterday they created a ticket for me but I do not see it on their system.

I am definitely looking for something better if LW does not convince me to stay. I am crossing my fingers that I don't lose any of my clients in the process.

I lost one of my best clients before I moved to LW due to server/email issues that I have no control over. That is when I started looking for a managed server so I can provide better service to my clients and learn a few things about server management along the way. LW has given me plenty a chance to speed up my learning curve. It has not been easy but I do like having my own box especially when everthing is working right.

I am usually patient with these things because I know that things just 'happen'. I should have been updated at least a couple of times like they said they would. I am very disappointed with LW's service right now...
      0 Not allowed!

I was under the impression that with LW your server is only managed if you have *nix and are using cPanel. And that if you don't use cPanel that it's not managed....
      0 Not allowed!

Hello serenDPT,
    You have reason to be disappointed. LW is good, so I am sure you were expecting more. Have you tried phoning them? It is one of the luxuries of dealing with liquid web ... there must be some very good reason.

If I were you, I would call ... they answer 24/7 .... be nice, they always are ...

Good luck.
      0 Not allowed!

oshawa-

I am on the phone with them now on hold for a few about five minutes now. The first call around 7 am they told me Plesk got compromised. Now, they said that my SQL is on the wrong port. I asked why are my sites still down? I have been on hold for him to get back with me on the answer.

This is the second call this morning. Yesterday I called 3 times and all 3 times, they said they would email me the status.
      0 Not allowed!

Ouch, why dont you try their support desk. Usually big companys like that can get back to you in minutes.
      0 Not allowed!

My server was up and running 20 mins after my last phone call. I don't have a clear answer on what went wrong yet. I was able to get smartermail and dns working with Plesk while the tech was on the phone with me--basically I had experience with smartermail not working in Plesk before like that and I was able to get it to work without a hitch. Same goes for the dns.

Still looking for a better solution...
      0 Not allowed!

hmmm i see yestarday one promo offer from LW for a managed dedicated server for around $120 seems to be good, you can check this promo prices
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dimitar
    hmmm i see yestarday one promo offer from LW for a managed dedicated server for around $120 seems to be good, you can check this promo prices
    Got a link for this offer? Can't seem to find it.
      0 Not allowed!

liquidweb.com/windowspromo/
      0 Not allowed!

There will always be customers with negative experiences with a hosting company - I'm not sure these can be used to characterize a business that has an otherwise excellent reputation. From my perspective, the tech support at LW has rescued me many times and solved problems rapidly. They are reasonably priced and provide significant value through their support. I've had experiences with other companies that were quite negative but after 1.5 years with LW can say I've found a home.
      0 Not allowed!

Wink Liquidweb one month review

Hello!

I just have 1 month with a VPS2 plan in Liquidweb, at the begining there are a lot of things that I don't understand, and well.. as you can see my english is not good, so sometimes it's difficult to ask help and over all when it referrs to technical issues...

But, I call them asking for help (althougth my bad english, they understand my requirements ), after a few days and some help tickets at the helpdesk, all my dobuts where answer.

I can safely say that the technical support is excelent, and the speed of the servers is amazing..
    I know, one month is a little bit, but I hope they can maintain the same level of speed, performance, UPTIME, and over all service along the time of my accounts..

Even, I'm thinking to buy a dedicated server with them in two or three months..

Regards!
      0 Not allowed!

Does anyone know the typical clients that LiquidWeb hosts? Is it across the board... small-mid sized businesses, web designers/developers that resell to clients... or.. ?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Hi NathanG,
    Typically small to mid-sized businesses. We host a lot of other webhosting companies as well. Primarily our customers are web designers or the web developers themselves. What I mean to say is, we don't do a majority of business with Chief Technology Officers, primarily its the technology practitioner.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!