Thread: Petabytes

Petabytes

Is it possible to have 3-4 Petabytes of transfer a month? An example would be, to have say a 3 GB file downloaded 1,000,000 times in a given month, would amount to 3 Petabytes.

Or am is there something wrong with my reasoning (it's late, I may be wrong).

Well you *could* but you would need multiple servers. I think its about 30-40,000mbit of traffic..

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

About how much would that end up costing, on average?

I still don't understand how YouTube can turn a profit or even stay out of enormous debt with the massive amounts of videos they show. (Do they use a codec that reduces the size greatly because my 3 minute file is 320 MB in size and that seems really large if I were to transfer it to 1000 people).

As far as im aware they didnt actually make a profit from the site and it was funded by other companies, if i remember correctly before google bought them they were already lending a hand.

But i could be wrong so dont quote me on that

Never heard of that yet. 3-4 Petabytes!!!!!! Please inform me if you find one.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsan16
    Never heard of that yet. 3-4 Petabytes!!!!!! Please inform me if you find one.
    Dreamhost should have their petabyte package launched by next week I hear.
    Mmmm, dreamy. Now if only they'd wake up.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

To transfer 3 PB a month you would need a constant transfer rate of 9,71 Gbit per second (probably rather 11-12 considering the network overhead). With today's network technology I would say this is impossible with a single machine, especially over the Internet.
    Sitemeer.com - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● yes, we do HTTPS & IDN!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitech
    About how much would that end up costing, on average?

I still don't understand how YouTube can turn a profit or even stay out of enormous debt with the massive amounts of videos they show. (Do they use a codec that reduces the size greatly because my 3 minute file is 320 MB in size and that seems really large if I were to transfer it to 1000 people).
    You just have to encode your video right. That 3 minute could be as low as 4 MB if encoded right and you won't lose much quality. That is one thing to keep the costs down and with flash you only need to load the video once. So i a person watchs a video 10 times. They will download it from the server one time. I bet there are other tricks they use to lower bandwidth.

Bandwidth is the constraint

Even with great encoding, most online video is still blocky at full-screen and doesn't look that great. If everything is trending towards higher resolution video, I don't know how it will be possible to support pushing "all that video" through the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    You just have to encode your video right. That 3 minute could be as low as 4 MB if encoded right and you won't lose much quality. That is one thing to keep the costs down and with flash you only need to load the video once. So i a person watchs a video 10 times. They will download it from the server one time. I bet there are other tricks they use to lower bandwidth.
    Although this may be true but what codecs do this? ok, XViD is the main most popular codec, but this isnt loading onto windows as a default,
    and as far as I am aware Youtube doesnt use any special codec you need to download before hand

Finding something with Petabytes to start will cost you a bundle using dedicated servers. Your better solution is to look at how you are compressing your video.

By what you have mentioned, that your 3 minute video is 350mb, it sounds like you have no compression whatsoever on your video clip. I would recommend that you look into a combination of compression, and streaming videos, and then choose a host based off of that.

As for youtube: Youtube uses flash to stream the videos. So while most people can see them by default, you do need Flash to view them.

XVid and DivX cannot be streamed as far as I know. In these cases you would be looking at having people download them and then watch the videos off your website.

Be sure to check the TOS and / or ask techsupport of potential hosters to see if these are allowed.