kiddies host story time

i read it here http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/de...oel.3.421296.4

original story here http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/279003894731

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the summary from where i read is here:

Sometimes it's really, really dumb to trust people you met over the internet:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/279003894731

The long and the short of it is, a couple of guys started a hosting business, offered the moon to members of ArsTechnica's forum, and then proceed to make a series of mistakes, all while trying to act like nothing is wrong.

There have been outages. There have been domain-registration problems. There have been flippant comments from the business owners when customers ask for help. And worse of all, they somehow managed to lose everyone's data and have never bothered to enlist a data recovery service. It's a real train wreck in there, I can't do it justice.

There's a lesson to be learned here: don't go into business with people just because you "know" them from the internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quite amusing if you have time to read all 41 pages. bottom line, kiddies host is bad for hosting industry.

3 hours in, halfway through, 4:30 in the morning Tough to stop reading this one, it's like a really good book. At this point (page 23) I can't believe they still have customers and Sam is being such a dick to everyone.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by keliix06
    3 hours in, halfway through, 4:30 in the morning Tough to stop reading this one, it's like a really good book. At this point (page 23) I can't believe they still have customers and Sam is being such a dick to everyone.
    You just about convinced me to give this reading thing a go
    The most effective way to host your site

I can't wait for the movie to come out. Near the end of the saga one of the former clients jumps to MT gridserver - out of the frying pan...

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog
    You just about convinced me to give this reading thing a go
    Give it a go, you won't be disappointed. One gigantic cluster f*ck of entertainment, astonishment and feeling horrible for their customers. Just finished after getting up this morning.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Read to about page 4 or 5, will treat it like a book as I don't always have time. Just by this time already there are endless amounts of complaints of emails not working.

I'm very suprised at the amount of crap clients will go through before they say it's enough when it comes to certain "trusted" hosts...well trusted by them.

I feel quite bad for both ends though, but that's what happens when you try bite of more than you can chew.
    The most effective way to host your site

interesting read. one poster called it a "slow motion train wreck".

elsewhere in that 'boardroom' there were some interesting threads about google interviews.

Research, research, research - responsible hosting company's should make sure that's ingrained into customers' heads! Thanks for sharing the links - will definitely be reading this one.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    Research, research, research - responsible hosting company's should make sure that's ingrained into customers' heads! Thanks for sharing the links - will definitely be reading this one.
    i doubt it. most people/biz will go with cheapo/kiddies host and go back to real host. it's like you tell them the frying pan is still hot but they won't believe 'til they get burned.

the endless cycle of kiddies host.

But at least you can't say you didn't warn them!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I have a hard time feeling too sorry for customers who get burnt by hosting companies like that. Why? Because at some point you have to take some personal responsibility. Keep backups of your data, have a contingency plan and do your research. When things start going downhill...MOVE.

I've been ripped off several times in my life. I try not to sit around and whine about it and talk about how awful the people/company was that did it. I stop and think "Now, how did *I* get myself into this and what have I learned from this experience?".

That's not to say I don't have any feelings towards people who get ripped off. That's not the case at all. I'm just saying that some people stay in a bad situation way too long and those are the people I have a hard time feeling sorry for. Always have a contingency plan...always.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Well, It just makes me thing about one story occurred here (in Spain) few weeks ago.

The owner of one HSP (hosting 5000+ domains) got divorced, and well the ex-wife of the HSP owner was the "official" owner of the company, so she called to the datacenter housing the HSP servers and restricted physical access to the datacenter to all the technicians.

So the hosting company was running alone, no machine resets, no updates, nothing ... It was a nice "Spanish" hosting story... XD

I read page one, skipped ahead to page six, and can pretty much conclude how it went from there. Another day, another incompetent dipshit host down the tubes.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Interesting is all I can say.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"