Lake Tahoe

Do You Backup Traffic Logs?

Hi all,

I'm curious to know if other hosts backup their customers' traffic logs. I'm facing an expensive backup systems upgrade if we can't shave off some gigabytes, and raw logfiles are, by far, our worst offender.

Right now, we store (and backup) logfiles for a full year; logfiles older than a year are automatically purged daily. I'm thinking of cutting this back to 30 days. If a customer wants more protection for their raw logfiles (and very few seem to care), they can copy the files elsewhere; they have full access to them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Absolutely not. Logs are not necessary in the event an account restore is required, so we do not back them up. Doing so would take up resources, both space and time, that could be better spent on other things.

we do, and write them to tape before deleting them

depends what you're doing i guess, and who your customers are, and whether you can ever envisage you (or your customers) ever needing those logs ever again. we're a pretty large place with a lot of machines + traffic, and we keep pretty much everything

North Hollywood, CA
    I dump them when its taking to much space
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn